Nurmes is a town of 8,000 inhabitants situated at the northern end of Lake Pielinen.
Being pretty much off the beaten track, the easiest way to travel to and from Nurmes is by car.
The town small, so you can easily get around by foot. Google Maps offers route planner which includes sparse long distance buses which can be used for local trips also, and Matka.fi route planner includes also some of them.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- 1 The old town (Puu-Nurmes). The "Wooden Nurmes" consists of 19th century wooden houses that are still inhabited.
- 2 The Bomba house and Karelian village. A replica of a common Karelian log house village. The largest house is the main building for a resort.
- 3 Ikola Museum, Kotiniementie 2, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 27.6–5.8 (2016) M–F 10:00–16:00. Farming and industry museum. €4/2.
- 4 Kötsi Museum, Kötsintie 2, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M–F 10:00–16:00. A museum where you can learn about the history of Nurmes. Free.
- 1 Bomba Spa, Tuulentie 10. The attractions of the spa are various saunas, such as Kyly, which leads to the Karelian landscape, or Sampo, which contains beautiful details. The spa also has an atmospheric pool area and experience showers that lead the visitor to the sounds of wild nature.
There are some nature parks in the area around Nurmes, where you can walk, swim, fish and camp in the summer and enjoy cross country skiing in the winter.
- [dead link] Nurmes Film Festival. Late in the summer every year Nurmes hosts a film festival with older and newer Finnish films.
- Nurmes Christmas Carol Festival (Nurmeksen Joulumusiikki). A yearly christmas song festival, obviously in December.
- 1 Sokos Hotel Bomba, Tuulentie 10, ☏ , fax: . Large resort hotel with great views over the Pielisjärvi lake. Nerby is the replica of a traditional Karelian house built as a home for the large Bombi family in 1854, now a restaurant that is part of the resort.
- Koli National Park with great views over Pielinen. Many painters of the Finnish Golden Age of Art got inspiration from those views.