Formerly a fairly important railway junction, nowadays Iisalmi is probably mostly associated with the Olvi brewery and its products.
Trains on the line between Kuopio and Kajaani, including trains from Helsinki to Kajaani, stop at Iisalmi.
- 1 Iisalmi railway station (Iisalmen rautatieasema).
Buses along highway 5 stop in Iisalmi.
As with most other towns in Finland, arriving by car is always an option.
Iisalmi has two local bus lines. Information about the timetables can be found here. Matka.fi route planner includes timetables of Iisalmi local transport lines inside town and to neighbouring countryside.
- Menevä Iisalmi, ☏ (head of office), toll-free: 0800-02120 (booking). Also bookable by app or web. Fixed price based on calculated route and time if destination address given when booking by app or web. Flag fall M–Sa 06:00–18:00: €4, other times and holidays: €7; 1–4 persons €0.90/km + €0.90/km, 5–8 persons minimum €20, €1.60/km + €0.90/min (July 2020).
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- 1 [formerly dead link] Olvi brewery museum (Olvi Panimomuseo), Luuniementie 2. M-F 10:00-15:00. One of Finland's largest breweries, Olvi, is in Iisalmi. They have a museum where you can learn about beer and soft drink manufacturing. free.
- 2 Koljonvirta. A strait a few kilometres northeast of the city centre connecting lakes Iso-Ii and Porovesi. The bridge over Koljonvirta was the site of a battle between Swedish and Russian forces during the Napoleonic wars in 1808.
- 1 Runni Spa, in Runni village (20 km west of central Iisalmi). Healthy baths and outdoor activities in one of the oldest spas still in use in Finland.
- Oluset, Limuset ja Rokkiset: . Oluset is a music and beer festival in mid-July. Limuset and Rokkiset are alcohol-free rock concerts and accessible also to under 18s. (date needs fixing)
- 1 Ravintola Olutmestari, Veikonkatu 1. Beer restaurant next to the harbour and near the Olvi brewery. In the summer you can also eat at Ravintola Kuappi, a small yellow cottage on their yard that reportedly is the smallest restaurant in the world with a table for two — unsurprisingly you need to reserve beforehand.
- 1 Sokos Hotel Koljonvirta, Savonkatu 18, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Like any hotel in the Sokos chain, this is an upper mid-range hotel downtown. Average rooms with tv, private bathrooms, some rooms have their own small sauna. The hotel has a restaurant and a couple of places to drink. rates from €140 including breakfast.
- Runni Spa, mentioned in the Do section, is also a hotel.
- 2 Hotel Golden Dome Iisalmi (Boutique Hotel Artos), Kyllikinkatu 8 (Near Panimomuseo), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. €72.
|Routes through Iisalmi|
|Sodankylä ← Kajaani ←||N S||→ Kuopio → Turku|