The town is the administrative center of the southern part of the Oulu region and a regional shopping destination especially known for its numerous car dealerships.
Ylivieska is located at the main north-south railroad and all trains going from southern Finland to Oulu or Rovaniemi stop here. There is also a track east to Iisalmi.
Ylivieska is two hours south of Oulu, one hour east of Kokkola and about six hours north of Helsinki by car.
As you could expect from a town in rural Finland the place itself is small enough to get around by foot, if you need to go further out your options are to drive or to take a taxi.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi
- Otaxi offers taxi service in Ylivieska
- 1 Savisilta and Kalajoki river. The bridge Savisilta across Kalajoki river is the second oldest concrete structure in Finland. It was built in 1912 and is still used today.
- 2 Jumbo, at the railway station. An old restored steam locomotive.
- Statues and monuments. The town has plenty of public pieces of art including a statue depicting Kyösti Kallio (president of Finland in the 1930s), several monuments related to WWII and art related to the region like "the flame of the plains".
- 3 Puuhkala Regional Museum (Puuhkalan kotiseutumuseo), Puuhkalantie 6. open in the summer months, We-Su 12:00-18:00. A museum depicting the history of the region.
- 4 Helaala mill (Helaalan mylly), Kauppakatu. A former mill right in the town center, hosting an art gallery in the summer.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Ylivieskatalo Akustiikka, Koulutie 2B. A concert and convention hall. Classical music performances about twice a week.
- Ylivieskan Härkäjuhlat. A song festival held yearly in August.
- [dead link] Sun Pampas. Yet another music festival, focusing on country music, held yearly in June.
There are a couple of fairly big shopping malls along the road towards Iisalmi like Kärkkäinen and Prisma.
A local speciality is maitorieska, a white flatbread.
- 1 Hotelli Käenpesä, Lintutie 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A basic, clean hotel in the town center. Also has a restaurant and a pub. rates from €60.