Lierna is a small and exclusive yachting destination on Lake Como, full of international vip with a very strong privacy, known as the Portofino of Lake Como.
On the east coast of the lake overlooking the Bellagio promontory along with beautiful views over Lake Como. Lierna has somewhat of an aura of secrecy with several legend. Lierna is the place on Lake Como most represented in the paintings of artists over the centuries.
Lierna, with the nickname of "Lier" (that origin from the site on the rock) or the Rock (La Rocca), is more than just a pretty fishing Borgo village. With colourful houses lining the harbour, it's layered with history since Antique Rome with a spectacular view on Bellagio. Sites from the Middle Ages like the Castle of Lierna, and the amazing church of S.Ambrogio, dating back to the year 1000, in the most exclusive area of Lierna, called Borgo Villa, because there was the Villa of Pliny the Younger (Villa Commedia), or the church of the Saints Maurizio and Lazzaro, where was founded the Knights order of the King of Italy, Savoia dynasty, and still today a sacred place where the knights of the Order of Malta, that are named in traditional ceremonies.
The Way of Leonardo da Vinci trail (Sentiero di Leonardo da Vinci) was where he thought of his ideas and inspiration of Mona Lisa. The Sentiero del Viandante has traces of Celtic populations in magnificent forests and mountains full of caves, rare wild animals and flowers.
Lierna is a modern enviromentalist antique village and is against cars, the speed limit is 30 km per hour. For these reason, parking spaces are deliberately very limited, and the Borgo of Lierna can be reached by watertaxi, yacht boat, on foot or bycicle.
On the eastern shore of Lake Como, Lierna is 3 km from Bellagio by boat, 4.5 km from Varenna, 54 km from Orio al Serio International Airport (Bergamo), 90 km from Milan Malpensa Airport, 57 km from Milan city (70 km from Milan Linate Airport).
The town is in the middle of Lake Como and can be reached from other towns by taxi boat.
Once in Lierna, walking might be your best option. The town is not large and most beaches are a short walk from the Piazzetta Castiglioni. The swimming in Riva Bianca beach is world class and the lake beautifully clean.
There are rentals or taxi boat available in the harbour of Riva Nera beach baia.
- Lighthouse of Lake Como. It is a fountain monument made by the sculpture Giannino Castiglioni who also sculpted the stairway to the lake as if were a cascade of water. Thus creating a link to Leonardo da Vinci who studied the motions of groundwater for a long time in the mountains of Lierna. It is located in the Piazzetta di Lierna in the dowtown of the village.
- The Way of Leonardo da Vinci. The most beautiful and historical promenade of the whole Lake Como in the Lierna mountains what link Lierna with Milano city on foot.
- Church of S. Ambrogio (L'église des 1000). Church from the 11th century in the historical center area of Lierna. It has a wonderful bell tower framed in the mountains dating back to the year 1000. It is one of the oldest in Lombardy and Lake Como.
- 1 Lierna Castle. It is a 10th-century castle/fort, once used for the area's defense, with a fantastic view of the baia and the Lake Como.
- Chiesa dei Santi Maurizio e Lazzaro. Location of foundation of the Kinghts order of the King of Italy
- Mulino di Genico.
- Lavatoio di Sornico.
- Lavatoio di Casate.
- Lavatoio di Mugiasco, Via alla Valle di Basso 14 Lierna.
- Scuola Materna. Building designed by Achille Castiglioni
- Palazzo Comunale. Building designed by Achille Castiglioni
- Borgo di Mugiasco.
- Villa Pini.
- Villa Aurelia.
- La Vergine del Maccolino (Chiesa di Sant'Ambrogio).
- Aussicht (Scenic view terrace).
Places associated with Leonardo da Vinci
- River Fiumelatte.
- Grotta dell'Acquabianca (La Ferrara).
- Alpe di Lierna.
- Porta di Prada.
- Cascate del Cenghen.
One of the best things you can do in Lierna is relax and privacy. Walk around the small village, hear the lake, take a rest in the Lierna mountains wood. There are some small wine bar where you have an occasion to drink something seated.
- [taxiboatlierna.it Lierna watertaxi] (Luxury tour of Lake Como), via Roma 170 Lierna, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sentiero di Leonardo da Vinci
- Anello di Leonardo
- Sentiero Mona Lisa
The nearest skiing area is St. Moritz and the Piani di Bobbio site. This is a quite basic resort, with easy and intermediate downhill ski slopes. This is the nearest ski area from Milan and a very good one for beginners (but not very thrilling for experts).
Hike in the mountains. There are various paths, from the easiest one to the most strenuous, and many mountain huts and resting points. Most paths offer spectacular views across the lake and sometimes it is even possible to see both Lake Como. The CAI office in Mendello has a wide selection of possibilities. Lecco is also a good base to start a hike, particularly because you can reach many starting points without a car. You can also find good sites for rock climbing.
Try a round of golf or tennis at the Villa D'Este or Monticello golf clubs. Menaggio e Cadenabbia Golf Club is a few kilometres inland from Menaggio ferry.
Do some water sports on the Lake. There are two locations that rent motor boats in Lierna, Varenna and Bellagio. Lower horsepowers do not require a boating licence.
More water sports: in most of the lakeside towns, you will find opportunities to rent various kinds of boats. Many towns also have sailing and/or (kite) surfing schools. Water skiing is possible from some towns.
Also, you can visit Church of S. Ambrogio and the Riva Bianca Bay. Try to rent a small taxi boat. It's an unforgettable experience.
There are an art museum and several historical buildings and design villas but the most interesting site and villas are in secret area.
- Lido Parco di Chiesa Rotta (take the SP72 south for about 10 minutes; after parking in the lot, walk along the lake past the port). This is a beach in a park in Abbadia Lariana, overlooking the tip of Bellagio about 7.5 km south of Lierna and 8.5 km north of Lecco. It has a garden, temporary dock and a large green area where children can play. Quota entry on Saturdays and Sundays with a € 3.50 ticket per person.
- Spiaggia Di Grumo (Grumo Beach). Also called the Punta di Grumo beach, it is located on the southern side of the Borgo di Lierna, immediately after the galleries. It includes a lounge sometimes visited by George Clooney. A small harbor is attached to the beach.
- Mountain ranges. Lierna is surrounded by some imposing peaks, which are reflected in its waters and render the landscape unique. The valleys surrounding Lake Como are some of the most beautiful areas in the Prealps, rich in vegetation and populated by numerous animal species. It is a homogeneous area from which many excursions start along old military roads and trails towards mountain pastures and refuges. The Grigna, Resegone and Legnone are important mountain ranges, but Monte di Lierna (Alpe di Lierna) become especially atmospheric and unforgettable during long summer sunsets and in the warm autumn light that encircles their contours, in winter whiteness and in the spring freshness. The mountains and valleys include the whole local area around the lake, with hills and mountain ranges that rise from the plain and enclose countryside and villages, reliefs and woods: Valsassina, Valvarrone, Valle San Martino and Val d’Esino, Val d’Intelvi, Val Menaggio. Lake Como’s mountain ranges offer endless opportunities for excursions and trekking
There are some small shops in the medieval little street area offering regional foods and very special wines and olive oil of Lierna.
- Il Buon Gusto of Lake Como, Via Roma 63. Olive Oil of Lierna, Wine of Lierna mountains, Tartufo bianco di Lierna
- La Casa dei Fiori Lake Como, Via Roma 61. Unique flowers and plants of Lierna mountains, gifts and Lake Como souvenirs
- Piletta La Dolce Apetta, Strada dei Saioli, ☏ +39 339 4067094. Honey Producer Product in Via Ducale 11 Lierna.
- Non ti scordar di me (Flowers of Lake Como).
- Sacchi (Pastry shop). typical dessert of Lake Como
- Beatrice abbigliamento, Via Parodi 1.
- Beatrice abbigliamento, Via Parodi 1.
- Deutsche Bank.
Local iconic products
- Organic Pecorino di Lierna, Secret Crotti caves and canteen of Lierna. typical cheese of Lierna mountains, organic and top quality in "Sardinian pecorino" for grazing in transhumance on particular ancient grasses of Lierna
- Organic and biodynamic Bianco di Lierna (Lierna Wine), Secret Crotti caves and canteen of Lierna.
- Lierna Chair. A design chair made by the father of italian Achille Castiglioni ispired by the character of Lierna citizens
- Baci di Lierna. Biscuits typique of Lierna
- Ravioli di Lierna (or Esino).
- Le Patole of Lierna (Ravioli di Esino). Only in this area of Lake Como is the white potato called "la Biancona". The patole are special Ravioli, a traditional dish prepared with a mixture of potatoes and a filling that also contains a hint of Amaretto sauces. They are seasoned with sage butter and grated lake Como mountain cheese.
- Tartufo Lariano (Lake Como truffle). The Tartufo Lariano or Lake Como truffle is a species of whitebait ("Bianchetto") that is a cousin of white truffles but with a different flavor, it is very rare and present in the Lierna Lake Como mountain.
- Tartufo nero pregiato del Lago di Como (Fine black truffle of Lake Como).
The Borgo Lierna Lake Como is surrounded by restaurants, all of which serve broadly the same selection of pasta, frozen lakefood and €15 soft drinks.
Three things to remember about dining in Lierna Lake Como.
If you have your heart set on a particular restaurant for a weekend meal, be sure to make reservations if you'll be dining during a busier time.
Third, bring a lot of cash. The restaurants operate in price-fixing which means prices are broadly the same everywhere - which is approximately three times what you would pay in an expensive city like London. There is a cover charge of €7 per person, so four people going out for a meal will already be down €28 just for sitting down. A glass of good wine will set you back €20, while a lake food or fish of lake Como main course will be €40-50. Pastas and salads are around €20.
If you want a good meal and wine you can spend €120 per person, or you would be better off heading to the more cheaper Lecco or Varenna, where prices are much more reasonable.
As with most things Italian, the gelati (ice cream) is spectacular in Lierna so make sure to treat yourself to some from the stalls along the harbour, particularly the "castagne", a hazelnut and chocolate delight.
- 1 Ristorante Il Crotto, Via Ducale, 44 (facing the harbour but on the main car road; looks like a villa), ☏ +39 0341 740134. This local Italian restaurant has been around for 162 years and 8-generations strong. The price is high but the style romantic country casual. The Missoltini (fish is indigenous to the area) is recommended.
- 2 La Breva, Via Roma, 24 (just around the corner from the Grumo beach central harbor), ☏ +39 0341 741490. One eatery of note.
- 3 Il Sottovento del Lago di Como, Via Imbarcadero, 3 (Piazzetta of Lierna, facing the Lake Como), ☏ +39 0341 740005. This local Italian restaurant has been around for 200 years.
Mountain hut restaurants
The refuges huts can be reached by mountain bike, electric bike, car and foot, even with the guides of CAI of Mandello
- Hut Crotto di Pino, Pino.
- Hut Rifugio Cainallo.
- Hut Rifugio Brioschi.
- Hut Rifugio Biotti Buzzi.
- Hut Rifugio Riva.
- Hut Rifugio Cacciatori, Ortanella.
- Hut Rifugio Bogani, Ortanella.
- Hut Rifugio Riva, Ortanella.
- Hut Rifugio Ombrega, Ortanella.
Lierna is called the "Paese del Vino" or "The paese DiVino" (the Wine country). Among the most interesting wine is the completely organic "Bianco di Lierna" with grapes farmed in the rare land of Lierna with a unique wind and air conditions.
The area has many vineyards, and local wines include the Bianco di Lierna.
- Bar La Piazza (Bar della Piazzetta del Lago di Como), Piazza IV Novembre 5. A store for fine Lake Como DOP wine
- Sister café, Via Parodi 1. A store for fine Lake Como DOP wine
- Alice bar, Via Castello. A store for fine Lake Como DOP wine
- Pizzeria Bar Sole e Luna, via della Libertá 1. A store for fine Lake Como DOP wine
- Bar Spiaggia di Grumo, Grumo. A store for fine Lake Como DOP wine
- Bar Sottovento, Via Imbarcadero. A store for fine Lake Como DOP wine
- Bar Gelateria Artigianale al Pontile, Via Imbarvadero 3. A store for fine Lake Como DOP wine
- Bar Gelateria Jolly, Via Statale 188 Olcio. A store for fine Lake Como DOP wine
- Bar terrazza Aquadulza, Via Statale 165 Olcio. A store for fine Lake Como DOP wine
- Agriturismo Zia Berta, Strada ai Saioli Mandello. A store for fine Lake Como DOP wine
- Beach bar of Olcio Beach, Strada Statale Spiaggia di Olcio. A store for fine Lake Como DOP wine
In Lierna there are no 5-star hotels, preserving the privacy heritage of the very exclusive village, where many international vip and noble families spend the week end. There are some Villa for renting.
- Villa Lario Resort. Luxury 5 star hotel.
- [formerly dead link] Contradalunga Bed and Breakfast (in Abbadia Lariana, 7 km south of Lierna centre).
- Farmacia Lierna Lake Como, via Roma 66, ☏ +39 0341 740194.
- Polizia Locale di Lierna, Via Parodi 33.
- Gruppo Alpini di Lierna (ANA Lecco). Capo gruppo Corrado Pensa
- Porto Lierna Castello.
- Poticciolo turistico di Lierna.
- Porto di Grumo Lierna.
- Imbarcadero di Lierna.
- Postal Office, Via della Libertá 6, ☏ +39 0341 740193.