Liestal is on the main route from Basel SBB to Olten, and has direct connections to Lucerne, Zurich, Bern, Interlaken and Saint Gallen. There is also an S-Bahn service (S3, Olten - Liestal - Basel - Laufen - Porrentruy) connecting to many local villages along the way.
Liestal can also be reached by bus from Basel, starting from Basel Aeschenplatz.
- Bern about 1 hr (Highway A1)
- Milan about 3½ hr (Highway A2)
- Paris about 5 hr (Highway A5)
- Berlin about 9 hr (Highway A9 and A5)
- Athens about 1 day (Highway E70)
At the train station of Liestal, several bus routes serve the surrounding area.
- 1 Museum.BL, Zeughausplatz 28, ☏ . Tu-F 10:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:00, Sa Su 10:00-17:00. The local museum of canton Basel-Landschaft.
- 2 Dichter- und Stadtmuseum, Rathausstrasse 30, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 10:00-18:00, Sa Su 10:00-16:00. A museum for poets.
The Liestal carnival with the Chienbäse parade annually attracts thousands of visitors with its procession of flaming carts and torches. It is held on the Sunday night after Ash Wednesday.
- 1 Hotel Engel Liestal, Kasernenstrasse 10, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Kulturhotel Guggenheim, Wasserturmplatz 6, ☏ .
- The classic trip out of Liestal is to Hinteri Egg, the Hinteri Egg is a hill reaching 1,169 metres above sea level and is the highest point of the canton of Basel-Landschaft.
- Augusta Raurica, 13 km away, is one of the best preserved Roman settlements north of the Alps.
- The Wasserfallen region is a set of hills surrounding the village of Reigoldswil, a scenic 35-minute bus ride from Liestal. From here you can take a cable car up into the hills where you can enjoy a rope park, many hikes, cross-country skiing or snow-shoeing, and finally hire a scooter to ride back down into the valley.
- Take the short bus ride up to Gempen (change at Seewen SO), where there is a viewing tower with views over the whole Basel region, from the Black Forest to the Alps. Then walk down towards the village of Dornach, and on the way visit the ruins of Schloss Dorneck.