It is one of favored summer holiday retreats of Austrians, Germans, Swiss and obviously Italians, who come for the pristine beaches, active nightlife, and culture.
The municipality is divided into three different districts:
- Riviera, the Western part of the peninsula, is predominantly residential, with few shops, small villas and low-rise condos set amongst pine trees. There's not so much to do here, unless you only want to relax in a beautiful natural environment. Most tourists you'll see here are home owners.
- Pineta, right in the centre of the town, features a modest commercial center, popular beaches, and a plethora of night life venues. At Saturday night Pineta, just like the nearby Sabbiadoro, literally becomes flooded with young people who arrive here from everywhere in the region.
- Sabbiadoro, at the Eastern end of the peninsula, is the oldest neighborhood in Lignano. It contains a bustling promenade with shops, soaring high-rise condominiums and yet even more nightlife and cultural venues than Pineta. Sabbiadoro also hosts two different marinas, and is home to the most important beaches.
Lignano is an exciting city during the summer months, but most of its establishments close in winter. The touristic season goes from May to September. Most hotels and restaurants will be closed aside from these months.
Most people arrive by car. Lignano is close to Venice Airport (VCE) and Trieste Airport (TRS). Coaches connect VCE with Lignano daily.
The best means of transportation to get around Lignano are bicycles, mopeds or, if you're in for something unusual, rental rickshaws. Still most tourists will just move by walking, as distances between the various areas of the town are pretty limited.
Various urban lines of buses connects the neighborhood of Sabbiadoro with Pineta and Riviera. They can become full up of people, especially at peak times.
Cars might be useful only in night hours, as traffic is very chaotic during the day. It is suggested to park in your accommodation parking and leave it there.
- Hotel Bellavista, V, ☎ , fax: . This hotel enjoys a marvellous location on the sea front, surrounded by the lush greenery of pine trees.
- Hotel Nettuno, Lungomare Trieste 24, ☎ , fax: . This hotel lies in the historical area of the town, directly facing the beach promenade. Parking places and beach service are included in the room rates, while interesting last-minutes are available on the their web site.
- Hotel Florida, via dell'Arenile 22, ☎ , fax: . Family-managed establishment, completely renovated, in a quiet area, nestled in the pinewoods.
- Hotel Pasha, viale Venezia 90, ☎ , fax: . This hotel in Lignano Sabbiadoro was entirely restored in its furnishings and it offers 31 rooms situated in four floors. The hotel has a lift and a Wi-Fi coverage in the building.
- 1 Agenzia Lignano (Villas and Apartments for rent), Corso dei Continenti n. 1 (staight on from the highway directly to the agency), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16.00-19.00, check-out: 09.00-10.00. best rent. most accomodations with wifi and air conditioning equipped competitive.
- Netcafé, Corso degli Alisei 11. The oldest Internet café in town, open every day non-stop from 7:00am until 2:00am. 16 multimedia PCs where users can surf the Internet or play Internet and network games. B/w printing available upon request. The local also offers wireless Internet access: guests can surf the Internet with their own laptop using a WiFi high-speed connection. Please note that in Italy a personal document is required in order to be allowed surfing from a public Internet access like the Internet café.
- Cividale del Friuli
- Venice, just one hour away from Lignano.