Europe > Central Europe > Hungary > Northern Hungary > Lillafüred
Close to Miskolc about 20mins by car it is well worth a look.
By public transport, take a train to "Miskolc-Tiszai pályaudvar", and there gete the tram Nr. 1 to the end station ("Diósgyőr városrész"). From the end station take a 5 or 15 bus and get off at "Palotaszálló", every half hour. The intercity bus (VOLÁN) toward Bükkszentkereszt also stop at "Palotaszálló".
- 1 Lillafüred Narrow-gauge railway station (Lillafüredi Állami Erdei Vasút (LÁEV)). between Miskolc-Diósgyőr and Lillafüred with open carriages. Map about Lillafüred Narrow-gauge railway
- 1 Palace Hotel (Palotaszálló), Erzsébet sétány 1, ☏ . The Lillafüred Palace Hotel is built in the three valleys meet. Palace Hotel was built between 1927 and 1930, according to the plans designed by Kálmán Lux. The main facade of the hotel look to Hamori lake and the stream Sinva, the southern facade to the Lillafüred Valley. The building pass very well to the natural environment. The Palace all sides provide an excellent topic for amateur and professional photographers. The main entrance of the four-story building is the building's most prominent architectural element. The first floor had the luxury suites, dining room, lounge, conference room and a games room. The two lobby mural is: one which depicts King Louis the Great, as soon as you receive a Venetian peace delegation Diósgyőr, this is made in 1830 and Francis Helbing's work; the other theme is the 'Triumph of Belgrade' - a Bela Sandor creation. Now a beautiful hotel with Renaissance style restaurant. The restaurant Mathias attractions of the stained-glass windows that commemorate former Hungarian cities (Bratislava, Brasov, Kosice, Levoča, Bardejov, Kežmarok, Cluj-Napoca, Orava, Hunedoara), mostly Helbig Francis and Francis Kopp's worksBuilt in the late 1920s in the style of a Renaissance castle. In the winter when it is covered in snow it has a magical feel. Lillafüred Terraced Garden or "hanging gardens": The hillside below the hotel was designed as a reinforcement of hanging gardens. The terraced walkway system leads to the entrance of Anna Cave, which is a sinter cave. A unique architectural and horticultural heritage. The thematic walkway include: an area that offers entertainment for visitors and a playground for children, an upper terrace that offers direct and close views of the Szinva Waterfall with its water falling from the height of twenty meters, a garden that offers a colourful cavalcade of flowers from spring to autumn, a terrace for chamber concerts and solo musicians with a stage and auditorium, a terrace dedicated to poem ‘Ode’ by Attila József was inspired by his time spent in Lillafüred,-it is commemorated with the statue of the poet and some lines from his poem, carved into stone,- an exhibition area for statues and art works, a lookout terrace over the Anna sinter Cave, at the feet of the Szinva Waterfall.
- 2 Museum of Metallurgy (Magyar Műszaki és Közlekedési Múzeum (MMKM), Kohászati Múzeuma), Miskolc-Felsőhámor, Palota Street, 22, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Thu-Sat (May-Oct): 10:00-16:00, Th-Sa (Nov-Apr): 10:00-16:00. Admission: Adult/reduced: HUF600/300, Video 1000, guided tour Hungarian or German HUF400 or 600 p.p. (up to five pers.).
- 3 Ancient foundry (Régi Öntöde, MMKM Massa Múzeuma), Miskolc-Újmassa, Ómassai út (One stop beyond Lillafüred by Bus 15 or take the narrow-gauge railway to stop 'Újmassa-Őskohó' - From Miskolc Búza tér bus staion or Downtown take bus#1 or the tram #1 to stop Felső Majláth further take bus #15.), ☏ , email@example.com. Th-Sa (Mar-Oct): 10:00-16:00. - Nov to Apr CLOSED. Technician Furnace is a branch of the Hungarian Museum of Transport and Technology. This aruined 18th century foundry is supplemented with a little museum of science and technology. The Újmassa Blast Furnace,-one of the most important industrial historical monument of Hungary,- reconstructed from its ruin in 1950's. Admission: Adult/reduced: HUF600/300.
- 4 Herman Ottó Memorial House (Herman Ottó emlékház), Miskolc - Lillafüred, Erzsébet sétány 33. (South 400m of (Saint) Istvan Cave), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. May-Sep Sa-Su 10.00-18.00, Oct-Apr 10.00-16.00 to 1st April 2015 the building is closed. Groups can visit the memorial house after registration (at least 3 days earlier). A small museum dedicated to the well-known ornithologist and polyhistor Admission: Adult/reduced: HUF600/300 (2014).
- 1 Lake Hámori (Hámori-tó, former Feltó-halastó) (Garadna river valley). an artificial lake; rent a boat or just strolling around, good relax place. Eszperanto-spring, Diving Club
- 2 Anna Cave (Anna-barlang, Mésztufa-barlang, Petőfi-barlang). closed in winter, including March. It has evolved in travertino (freshwater limestone), that is a rare phenomenon. Near the cave entrance is the Szinva waterfall, with a height of 20 metres the highest in Hungary. Guided tours.
- 3 (Saint) Istvan Cave (István-barlang, Szent István-barlang) (Near to stream Sinva east 30 m of that, from the Palace take the Egri Országút Road to south, 2 km away). Open 15 Oct-16 Apr 9AM-3PM, 17 Apr-14 Oct (summer) 9AM-4PM. A dripstone cave visit with guided tours. The cave is still being explored, but only a part can be visited. Its deepest known area is named Hell. The most beautiful dripstone structures are the Mammut's Mouth, Fairyland, Column Hall and Concert Hall. Due to water filling the cave in 1958 and 1974, the inner caverns are presumably connected with water drains. The air in the cave is very clear and has a high humidity. Patients with respiratory illnesses are treated here. HUF 1000.
- 4 Szeleta Cave (Szeleta-barlang, Szeletaoldali barlang) (A half-an-hour walk from Lillafüred railway station, following the red square hiking sign. - 200 m north of 'Felsőhámor'). 24/7. Prehistoric human remains were found here. Free.
- Lillafüred can be a good spot to start hiking. There are two tracks that follow the artificial lake for a little while, and on the other way, go up the hills within the village. Unfortunately, the local tourist information centre is no help to get info about hiking path on Bükk national park. Count about an hour to get there from the centre of Miskolc (see getting around).
- Miller's Rock (Molnár-szikla).
- 5 Steven's Rock (István-szikla) (West from the Istvan Cave).
- 6 Fehérkőlápa (south from Lillafüred Valley). It got its name ("marsh of the white stone") after a rock, which provides a nice view on the area, and a nearby marsh. The place is within the Bükk National Park. There is a guest house
- Trout farm (Pisztrángtelep) (a few kilometres away). Tu-Su. This is one of the most famous in all of Hungary. Visitors can buy freshly grilled or smoked trout here.
- On the south side of Garadna river,-about half km west of Garadna train terminal,- can find the Sebes-víz Valley and Waterfall.
- 1 Régiposta Guest House (Régiposta panzió), Miskolc-Lillafüred, Erzsébet sétány 21. (South of the Palace), ☏ , , fax: . HUF3300/6300/9000.
- 2 Turist Motel (Turista Szálló), Vásárhelyi István sétány. Ask about details in Miskolc at the Tourinform office
- 3 Zöldfa Panzió és étterem (Zöldfa Panzió és étterem), Palota utca 40 (East of the Palace), ☏ . Sgl/dbl from HUF8300/11000.
- 4 Tókert Hotel and Restaurant (Hotel Tókert Szálloda és Étterem), Erzsébet sétány 3, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. This three star hotel and restaurant are located in Lillafüred, in the last-century building of Weidlich Villa, on the bank of Lake Hámori, of picturesque beauty. Eight rooms, family friendly place. sgl/dbl/superior HUF13000/18000/23000.
- 5 Palace Hotel (Hotel Palota), Erzsébet sétány 1. (10 km from the Miskolc, the city buses don't visit Lillafüred very often. (Time table of bus 5: )), ☏ , . 133 room hotel built between 1927 and 1930. The neo-Renaissance hotel is one of the best known buildings of Miskolc-Lillafüred, in a picturesque valley. Sgl/dbl/suite HUF33000/40000-47000/56000-62000.
- Climbing competitions are held in every January. Near to Hámor Rock
- 2 Post Office (South of the Palace).
From here carry on over the mountains and into the wine regions.