D1 highway is the main road crossing the area, however the exit points are only at Bešeňová/Ivachnová at the west and Liptovský Mikuláš at the east.
Northern road from Bešeňová goes around the whole Liptovská Mara dam, where most of the attractions are.
There are public buses, but taking own car is much easier.
Riding a bicycle is possible as well. There is one steep hill after Potok village - you can take the somewhat easier road via Vlašky village.
There are thermal water parks at both ends of the dam and elsewhere:
- 1 Tatralandia (near Liptovský Mikuláš). One of the most famous water parks in Slovakia.
- 2 Bešeňová. 10:00-21:00; saunas until 20:30. A huge water park with mineral thermal water. Very up-to-date, with each and every facility operating (which is quite rare for such a size). Several outdoor pools open all year round, heated in winter. Water rides are height-restricted, min 120 cm. Sauna area is 12 years and up only most of the time; kids of 6 years me older are allowed only during first hour of the operation; kids under 6 years not allowed at all. Sauna tickets are single-entry only (3 hours max), which makes visiting sauna practical only if you spend at least half a day at Bešeňová. For sauna area only, sheets are provided. For all other areas, bring your own towels: Bešeňová provides them only for hotel guests. Adults €27 pools only; €36 pools+saunas; kids €18 / €24 respectively; paying with GoPass gives €1-2 discount per person; 2-days advance payment doubles the discount.
- 3 Lúčky spa (Kúpele Lúčky). One of the oldest Slovak spas.
The dam, built in 1965-1975, is named after one of the 9 inundated villages - an open-air museum created from remains of the village is now in Pribylina.
The area of the reservoir is 22 km², max. depth is 45 m and the capacity is 360 million m³. The main purpose of this dam is to prevent floods, although it also generates electricity.
While the water is usually not very clean (even muddy in some places), it's good enough for light swimming, sunbathing and different adrenaline activities. Ferry cruises available too.
The southern parts (near the D1 highway) are not used by tourists usually, because of the shallow waters and generally muddy ground. However, many fishers go there.
Beaches (mostly with small pebbles), used in summer by the locals too:
- 4 Near the dam. Ferries start from this place too.
- 5 Near the yacht club. The access is free, but usually small fee is required for car parking.
- 1 Bešeňová spring (Bešeňovský medokýš). A mineral spring. In the past it was heavily visited by locals.