|Kysuce (Čadca, Kysucké Nové Mesto, Krásno nad Kysucou)
Historically one of the poorer regions, it's currently recovering thanks to car manufacturing, ski and cross-country possibilities.
|Horné Považie (Bytča, Čičmany, Rajec, Papradno, Púchov, Rajecké Teplice, Žilina)
|Orava (Dolný Kubín, Námestovo, Terchová, Trstená, Tvrdošín)
Orava castle and nature.
|Turiec (Martin, Turčianske Teplice, Vrútky)
Surrounded by mountains with many hiking and skiing possibilities. Mineral springs spa also in Turčianske Teplice. National cultural center in Martin.
|Liptov (Liptovský Hrádok, Liptovský Mikuláš, Ružomberok)
One the most visited regions, thanks to plethora of natural and historical sites. Hiking, skiing, water activities, caves, castles - it's all there.
|Horehronie (Banská Bystrica, Brezno, Nová Baňa)
National parks, caves, skiing and spas.
|Podpoľanie (Zvolen, Detva)
|Hont (Banská Štiavnica, Pukanec)
Contains multiple castles (in Čubradský Vrbovok, Bzovík), mineral water pools in Dudince and others.
|Poiplie (Lučenec, Veľký Krtíš)
Volcanic mountain ranges, mining towns, castle ruins. How water springs in Dudince.
- 1 Banská Bystrica. was one of the most important mining towns of Hungarian part of Austro-Hungarian Empire; beautiful restored square, many churches, castles and museums and memorial of the Slovak National Uprising
- 2 Banská Štiavnica. this medieval mining town in central Slovakia is a UNESCO World Heritage site
- 3 Bojnice. Probably the most beatiful castle in Slovakia.
- 4 Dolný Kubín. Orava castle, skiing in the nearby mountains.
- 5 Púchov. Very peaceful spa town surrounded by magnificent Mala Fatra National Park
- 6 Rajecké Teplice. Spa area.
- 7 Ružomberok. On the first sight an industrial city, providing plethora of hiking and relaxation possibilities; includes the UNESCO-listed folk village of Vlkolínec.
- 8 Žilina. Fourth biggest city with a well preserved historical city centre influenced by German architecture and unique museum of the tinker´s culture located at the Budatín castle
- 9 Zvolen.
There are regular inter-city bus and train connections available, both to Bratislava/Košice and surrounding countries.
D1 and R1 highways connect most of the biggest cities, except the mountainous area between Žilina and Liptovský Mikuláš, where work is still ongoing. Traffic jams occur there in the rush hours (mostly Friday and Sundays afternoon).
- 1 Likava castle ruins (near Ružomberok).
- 2 Liptov village museum (in Pribylina). A reconstruction of a historical village destroyed while creating Liptovská Mara dam.
- 3 Orava castle (Nearby Dolný Kubín).
- 4 Strečno castle (At the road from Žilina to Martin).
- 5 SNP memorial (in Banská Bystrica).
- 6 Zvolen Castle (Zvolenský zámok). A castle standing on a low hill. Slovak National Gallery collections displayed.
The area is a great place to go hiking and skiing. Check e.g. Ružomberok.
- 1 Choč Mountains. Pretty ravines and great overview from the top of the main mountain.
- 2 Great Fatra.
- 3 Little Fatra. Peaks like Veľký Rozsutec, or ravine Jánošíkove diery make this area very worth the day or two of stay.
- 4 Muranska planina National Park..
- 5 Oravská Magura. and Oravské Beskydy (Orava Beskids)
- 6 Poľana.
- 7 Low Tatras ("Nízke Tatry" / Národný Park Nízke Tatry). skiing, multi-day hiking and caves.
- 8 Tatra National Park. Their most visited part is High Tatras ("Vysoké Tatry"). Great place for one-day hikes, relaxation and skiing.