- 1 Howell — the administrative center of Livingston County
- 2 Brighton — offers a tranquil riverside boardwalk, the Mill Pond, historic cemeteries, local restaurants and art galleries
- 3 Hell — the community has become a popular tourist destination for its irreverent name alone
It is composed largely of bedroom communities, but is experiencing and maintaining significant growth in both the service and industrial economic sectors.
Livingston County's location in Southeast Michigan offers residents relatively convenient access to the metropolitan centers of Detroit, Lansing, Ann Arbor, and Flint. Livingston County residents regularly commute to those centers.
- I-96 – runs ESE and SE through central part of county, passing Fowlerville, Howell, Brighton.
- BL I-96 – a 7.6-mile business loop through central Howell, parallel to and on the north side of I96.
- US 23 – runs north–south through eastern part of county, passing Hartland, Brighton, Whitmore Lake.