Locarno was a spot for the rich and famous to meet and cure (real or supposed) ailments due to its climate and clean air. It was here that foreign minister Stresemann of The German Weimar Republic managed to negotiate a rapprochement with Britain and France that earned Germany re-admittance into the League of Nations and him the Nobel Peace Prize. However, as Stresemann died in 1929, the peace he helped build ultimately did not last.
From the east, take highway A2 Basel to Chiasso, exit at Bellinzona South, direction Locarno. After the Magadino airport, take the A13 highway, direction Locarno. After the tunnel, the first exit will take you to the center of Locarno. Parking available in the new Piazza Castello parking.
From the west, take the road along the coast of Lake Maggiore from Verbania through Cannobio and the Brissago customs. Then take the A13 highway, direction Locarno. An alternative, from Simplon and Domodossola, is the Valle Vigezzo and Centovalli road, direction Locarno.
- 1 Locarno railway station. Regular trains link Locarno directly with Bellinzona from where you can transfer onto trains to Zurich, Basel, Lucerne, Milan. The Centovallina train line connects Locarno and the Simplon line (from Geneva or Bern).
Lugano airport. Then take the bus to Lugano and the train to Locarno.
Bike rental can be found at the train station (Piazza Stazione, Tel. +41 91 7436564). Rental fee: Fr. 30/day (08:00–19:00).
Most of the city can be explored on foot. The Main Square Piazza Grande is walking distance from Main Railway station. Old Town of Locarno is behind Piazza Grande.
Ticino Discovery Card
With this card you get access to all major tourist attractions in Ticino canton including unlimited travel on public transport, cable cars, furniculars and museums. Price of the card is Fr. 87. People holding Swiss GA Travel card or Half fare card get Fr. 10 discount. Card is valid for 3 days. A real good deal to discover Ticino and is available at major hotels, hostels, train station and Tourist Offices. 
- 1 Piazza Grande. A heart of the city centre and the major shopping area.
- 2 Città Vecchia (Old town).
- 3 Santuario della Madonna del Sasso, Largo Zorzi 1, ☏ .
- 4 Castello Visconteo (Visconti Castle), Piazza Castello 2, ☏ . A castle which today serves as Municipal and Archaeological Museum.
- 5 Pinacoteca Casa Rusca (Casa Rusca Gallery), Piazza S. Antonio, ☏ .
- Walk the Lake Maggiore promenade
- Take a boat trip on Lake Maggiore.
- 1 Ride a funicular, Viale Balli 2, ☏ . Take a historical funicular up to the old monastery of the Santuario della Madonna del Sasso and cable car station, from where you can take the cable car above the town to approx 1,600 m, or walk back down into the town via the monastery and a stone pathway, approx 30 minute walk down. Single: Fr. 4.80; Return: Fr. 7.20.
- Moon and Stars Music Festival. In July attracts international acts.
- 2 Locarno Festival. In the first two weeks of August on Piazza Grande, biggest open air screen in Europe. August.
- Falconeria Locarno. An interesting show of birds like Peregrine Falcon, American Eagle, White Owls and Vultures. Check the show timing before reaching the place.
- Other events. See.
Most of shopping areas are in the arcades of Piazza Grande or in the Old Town. You can find out very interesting boutiques, sport shop, handmade jewels and many kinds of particular store offering specialities in old town of Locarno.
- Albergo Ristorante Cittadella (old town). Fish specialties and pizza.
- Osteria Borghese (old town). Traditional.
- Pizzeria Primavera (old town). Pizza, icecream.
- Ristorante Universo. Pizza, pasta, and more.
- Ristorante Vallemaggia (old town). Original, good quality/price ratio, operated by a foundation.
- Govinda (old town). Indian vegetarian.
- Marnin (old town). Breakfast / tea time.
- Bar Sport. Free entry, house music.
- Bar Castello. Free entry.
- Bar Pardo. Free entry.
- Cantina Canetti. Free entry.
- Max's way (old town). Aperitifs lounge music.
- Vanilla Club. Disco in Riazzino, expensive, good house music.
- Campsite Lago Maggiore, Via Lido 4 (In the neighboring village of Tenero), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Family-friendly campsite at the shore of Lake Maggiore. Reservation possible.
- YHA Locarno, Palagiovani, Via Varenna 18 (15 minutes walk from the central station), ☏ . Budget travellers hostel, single and multi person rooms, clean and modern.
- Pensione Olanda, Via ai Monti 139a. Bed-and-breakfast-style pensione; beautiful breakfast terrace with views of the lake; wonderful innkeeper Irmgard Balbina, very helpful.
- Kon Tiki B&B, Via Fiorina 1 (Two minutes walk from Piazza Grande), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Fr. 49 per person.
- Hotel Casa DaVinci, Via Bartolomeo Rusca 6 (in the old town), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Beautiful historical building. From double rooms to 6 bed flats, well suited for families. Lift, free WLAN, bike rental outlet are all there.
- [dead link] Ramada Hotel Arcadia, Lungolago G. Motta, ☏ . This hotel offers children programs.
- Hotel du Lac, Via Ramogna 3 (Near the shore of Lake Maggiore).
- Hotel Dell'angelo, Piazza Grande. Great location, although some travellers complain of the noise at night.
- Hotel Gottardo Garni, Via San Gottardo 18.
- [dead link] Castello Schloss-Hotel, Via B. Rusca 9 / S. Francesco 7a. (min. 3 nights).
- Hotel Belvédère Locarno, Via ai Monti 44, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Hotel Alexandra, Via San Gottardo 43, 6602 Muralto, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Fr. 150 for a room without shower.
- Mirafiori, Via al Parco 25, fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Three star hotel. Small, on the south hill of Locarno, 2km from the city center and from the railway station. Double room from Fr. 240 (season of April 2009).