Lourinhã is a town and municipality of 26,000 people (2011) in the Oeste region of Portugal. It has extensive, picturesque beaches and, more recently, by the paleontological remains, which include fossilised bones, footprints, eggs and embryos from Jurassic dinosaurs, many of which can be seen at the local museum, Museu da Lourinhã. Lourinhã is one of the few brandy-making areas, besides Cognac, Armagnac and Jerez, to have received appellation status.
The economy of Lourinhã (loh-ree-NYUHN, /ɫo.ɾi.ˈɲɐ̃/) is mainly based on fishing, agriculture, the construction industry, forestry and manufacturing. About 80% of its territory is used in agriculture, with potatoes, Rocha pear, and vineyards, among others.
Lourinhã has an oceanic climate due to its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean. Temperatures can vary in summer from 24 °C (75 °F) to 30 °C (86 °F) and the nights in the municipality are cool. In winter , negative temperatures are very rare, but can go down to −4 °C (25 °F). Lourinhã is known for its rainfall and is frequently affected by floods in autumn.
- 1 Posto de Turismo da Lourinhã, Avenida António José de Almeida, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M–Sa 09:30–12:30 & 14:00–17:30, closed Su. There's a second tourist office at Praia da Areia Branca.
Lourinhã is 63 km north of Lisbon on the A8 road.
- Rodoviária do Oeste–Rápida Azul. Timetable and full pricing. You can reach Lourinhã from Lisbon in 55 min on Rodoviária do Oeste's Rápida Azul service. The route also serves Praia da Areia Branca and Peniche. €7.80.
- 1 Museu da Lourinhã, Rua João Luís de Moura 95, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. W–Su 10:00–13:00 & 14:30–18:00 (last admission 30 minutes before closing), closed M Tu, 1 Jan, Easter Su, 1 May & 25 Dec. Exhibits related to dinosaurs, paleontology, ethnography, and traditional Portuguese life. Its dinosaurs include Dinheirosaurus, Lourinhasaurus and Lourinhanosaurus. Dinosaur eggs are also exhibited. The oldest machimosaurus, animals of the group from which the crocodiles descend, were also found in the region . Ages 12+ €4, youth & student cards €3, 6–11 & 65+ €2, ages <5 free; guided tours add €3, <2 free.
- 1 Dino Parque, Rua Vale dos Dinossauros, Abelheira, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Oct–Feb 10:00–17:00, Mar–May 10:00–18:00, Jun–Sep 10:00–19:00 (last admission 1½ hours before closing). Experience "Jurassic Park" with over 180 life-sized dinosaur models. See paleontologists at work and learn about the science. It opened in 2018 on 25 hectares in Pinhal dos Camarnais, and consists of an open-air museum, where the models of dinosaurs in full scale are displayed (about 250 models), a covered area for the exhibition of paleontological findings and a playful-pedagogical area with live science activities for schools. Ages 13+ €13, ages 4–12 €9.90, ages 0–3 free, 15% off if bought online, group & family discounts available.
- 2 Praia da Areia Branca (Rodoviária do Oeste's Rápida Azul service). one of the best known beaches in the Oeste region. This beach has numerous facilities tourism such as the Praia da Areia Branca Youth Hostel, several shops and tourist residences.
The Lourinhã Municipal Market is in the centre of the village, next to the town hall. Fruits, vegetables, fish, meat, dresses and alcohol can be found here. There are also three butchers, cafes and barbecues on the ground floor, and a restaurant on the first floor.
Lourinhã is a wine-producing municipality: spirits of recognized quality have been produced since the middle of the 20th century. The Controlled Denomination of Origin "Lourinhã" for brandy is the only one of its kind in Portugal and the third in Europe, after the famous Cognac and Armagnac.
- 1 Terra à Terra, Rua da Misericordia 7, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M–Sa 12:00–15:00 & 19:00–23:00, closed Su. Food based on local and seasonal ingredients. €9–€19.
- 1 Noiva do Mar, Estrada do Vale Bravo, Atalaia, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Four-star hotel near the ocean. €69–€129.
- Caldas da Rainha – Charming, unassuming city to experience authentic daily Portuguese life.