Ludwigsburg is a town in Baden-Württemberg with around 85,500 residents north of Stuttgart. The town has the districts of Pflugfelden, Eglosheim, Hoheneck, Oßweil, Grünbühl, Neckarweihingen und Poppenweiler. Ludwigsburg is a very young town, in comparison to many other towns in Germany which were founded during the Roman period or earlier.
Ludwigsburg was founded in the baroque period. In 1704 the baron Eberhard Ludwig started building a small palace in the area, and one year later it was named Ludwigsburg palace. In 1709 the first housing around the palace appeared and another year later the construction of the gardens began and the palace was enlarged and completed. In 1718 the area became the new settlement of Ludwigsburg.
It is somewhat unique for having a Catholic and Protestant church opposite each other in the main square, and is home to some large stately homes.
It makes for an easy day trip from Stuttgart.
There is a significant film school, the Filmakademie Baden-Wuerttemberg that makes a significant contribution to Germany's film industry and attracts a lot of young people to this town.
The easiest way into Ludwigsburg is to take a train from Stuttgart to the Ludwigsburg S-Bahn station. This is located near the town center.
Exit off the A81 south of Heilbronn just north of Stuttgart.
Public transportation VVS is provided by the S-Bahn and buses and connects Stuttgart and the surrounding areas. For short distances, it is best to use the Bus. For longer distances (to get to Stuttgart) the S-Bahn is faster.
Public transportation late at night (after midnight) is a problem! On the weekend there are night buses, but they are infrequent (1:11am, 2:00 am, 2:22am, 3:10 am and 3:33am) and on odd routes.
By metered taxi
- Taxi Zentrale Ludwigsburg, phone 07141 - 19 410, fax 07141 - 90059.
Ludwigsburg is small enough to get around by bike.
- 1 Residenzschloss (Residence castle). The residence castle (built 1704-1733 from Herzog Eberhard Ludwig von Württemberg) is the germ cell of the town. It was established as a pleasure palace for the duke and his Mätresse, magnificently developed and converted, a triple edge arrangement with over 400 rooms all together. Two churches, a theatre, a big inner courtyard and a castle garden belong to it. In the gigantic building are accommodated several museums.
- 2 Lustschloss Favorite (Castle Favorite), Favorite Park. The hunting seat Favorite (built 1713-1728), was build from Herzog Eberhard Ludwig as a hunting seat and pleasure palace near of the residence castle. Baroque facade, equipment in the empire style. The castle was quite often a scenery of broadcastings of a TV late-night show in Germany. A park with deers and mufflons belongs to the castle Favorite. Entry 3.50€, reduced 1.80€
- 3 Blühendes Barock (Blossoming Baroque). The horticultural show "Blossoming Baroque' is formed by the garden of the residence castle. It is a garden in the French style, suitably to the ambience of the baroque castle. With the fairy tale garden and the castle Emichsburg. Opend from middle of March till the beginning of October, main entrance Schorndorfer street from 9:00-18:00 h. Entry: Adults 7.50€, reduced 3.60€, reduced group prices available. The baroque experience map for the castle with all museums and the blossoming baroque: Adults 16.00€, reduced 8.00€.
- 4 Seeschloss Monrepos (Lake castle Monrepos). The castle cannot be visited from the inside.
- 5 Strafvollzugsmuseum (Penal execution museum). Once the penal execution museum was for a long time the only prison of Württemberg. Schorndorfer Str. 38.
See the gorgeous Christmas market around the time of advent: set around the Baroque market square, in the shadow of two churches, bustle alongside locals, passing stalls selling a range of products, from Lebkuchen (festive biscuit hearts displaying messages, some in English) to candles, glassware, art and decorative items before making your way to the food stalls for a warming Bratwurst and Gluhwein (or, for you non-drinkers, a hot chocolate with whipped cream, or hot orange drink) in a special Ludwigsburg mug. Not to be missed!
- 1 Ship roundtrips on river Neckar (Neckar Käptn), Shipstop at Ludwigsburg: Uferstrasse 95, 71642 Ludwigsburg-Hoheneck, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Enjoy liner trips on the Neckar, roundtrips or event trips. Or charter a complete ship just for you. Season is from Easter till End of October. For the conditions see the website. Beverage and food is offered on the ships.
- Herr Kächele, Marstall-Center. quality handmade Maultaschen stall
- Wurttemberger Hof, Bismarckstraße 24, ☎ .
- 1 Rockfabrik Ludwigsburg, Grönerstraße 25, ☎ . Dance club for Rock, Metal, Punk, Gothic, Wave, etc. with DJs or concerts with well-known or unknown bands since 1983. Bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Nazareth, Mötley Crüe, Scorpions, Accept, Queen, Helloween, Testament, Anthrax, Metal Church, Running Wild, Sinner, Hammerfall, and InExtremo have performed at this club. With gambling and chillout area on the second floor. For some events you have to book your tickets in advance. Prices depends on the event.
- 2 Flint, Leonberger Str. 38. An alternative sub culture bar. Frequent music and occasional poetry events.
- 1 NH Hotel Ludwigsburg, Pflugfelder Straße 36, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 3 Star rated.
- 2 Hotel Adria, Friesenstraße 13, 71640 Ludwigsburg, ☎ .
- 3 Hotel Bei Riviera, Solitudestr. 43, 71638 Ludwigsburg, ☎ .
- 4 Best Western Hotel Favorit Ludwigsburg, Gartenstr. 18, 71638 Ludwigsburg, ☎ .
- 5 Hotel Krauthof, Beihinger Str. 27, 71642 Ludwigsburg, ☎ .
- 6 City Hotel, Keplerstraße 2, 71638 Ludwigsburg, ☎ .
- 7 Schlosshotel Monrepos, Domäne Monrepos 22, 71638 Ludwigsburg, ☎ .
- 8 nestor Hotel, Stuttgarter Straße 35/2, 71638 Ludwigsburg, ☎ .