Märsta is with its 27,000 inhabitants the largest city in Sigtuna Municipality in Stockholm County in Sweden. It is located between the capital Stockholm, some 35 kilometres to the south, and Sweden's fourth largest city Uppsala, some 30 kilometres to the north, and some 4 km from Stockholm-Arlanda Airport.
Märsta has historically been an important postal stop on the route between Stockholm and Uppsala. As a railroad opened between these cities in 1866 and Märsta became one of the railroad stops. In 1960 Stockholm-Arlanda Airport opened only a few kilometres from Märsta, and the city grew from some 2,900 inhabitants in 1960 to 16,400 in 1970. When the city was constructed it was intended to cover four hills; Valsta, Pinbacken, Brista and Norrbacka. However, as Arlanda expanded it was deemed that Pinbacken and Brista where too close to the airport, wherefore only Valsta and Norrbacka where setteled. As a consequence of this the economic and cultural centre of Märsta is actually located in the geographical outskirts of the city.
By public transit
2 Märsta Central Station is a stop on the rail-road between Stockholm and Uppsala. The rail road is operated by two operators; the Stockholm County Commuter train (SL) and the national operator SJ. SL tickets are cheaper compared to SJ tickets, but SL trains are also slower as their trains stops more frequently.
The highway E4 carry traffic between Stockholm and Uppsala and pass Märsta some 3km East of the city.
Märsta is really small and walkable. Unless you intend to leave the city for the surrounding countryside you will not need any vehicle.
- 1 Konsthall Märsta (Märsta Art Hall), Nymärsta Kulle 1. A local art hall. Free.
- 2 Steninge Slott (Steninge Castle), Steninge Slottsväg 141. A 17th century castle. Today it is has a cafe and a market hall.
- 1 Märsta Centrum, Stationsgatan. Some 30 stores; supermarket, pharmacy, Systembolaget liquor store, library, cafés, etc.
- 1 Fyra Små Rätter, Stationsgatan 6, ☎ . An asian restaurant
- 2 Teatergrillen, Stockholmsvägen 27, ☎ .
- Vimamus Café, Stationsgatan 3C, ☎ . A bar and restaurant
- 1 [formerly dead link]Harrys, Stationsgatan 4. Until 03:00 on Friday and Saturday nights. Local representative of the nation-wide Harrys restaurant and bar chain, with the Sliver nightclub.
- 2 Magasinet, Nymärsta torg 6, ☎ . A restaurant and sports pub.
- 1 Best Wester Arlanda Hotellby, Bristagatan 22, ☎ .
- 2 BoKloster VillaHotell, Stockholmsvägen 55, ☎ .
- 3 Broby Gård, Broby 107, ☎ . Originally a 18th century mansion it is today a conference hall with several guest rooms
- Sigtuna - Was once the capital of Sweden. The contemporary town was built as a nationalist project in the 1910's.
- Stockholm - The current capital of Sweden. By far the largest and most influential city in the area.
- Stockholm Arlanda Airport - The largest airport in Sweden. Has a large shopping and recreational area called "Sky City" outside of the transit zone.
- Uppsala - The fourth city in Sweden by population. Once a centre of Viking activity, it is today a religious and academic centre.
|Routes through Märsta|
|Stockholm ← Sollentuna ←||S N||→ Uppsala → Tornio|