Ma'alaea is a town on Maui that has a harbor and acts as the gateway to Maui's South Shore.
Maui's main airport, Kahului Airport, will be the primary access to the island. From Kahului, follow the signs to Ma'alaea, and it should lead you south on Highway 311 (Mokulele Hwy). It is less than 10 miles (16 km) from the airport to harbor and it will take 20min to drive.
- Maui bus 15 from Kihei takes ~25min
- Maui bus 20 from Lahaina takes ~50min
- Maui bus 20 from Kahului takes ~35min
Ma'alaea harbor is quite small and can be navigated on foot.
- Buddhist Temples. There are several temples in and near Ma'alaea
- Maui Ocean Center, 192 Ma'alaea Rd, Wailuku, HI 96793, ☎ . 9AM-5PM daily; July/August open until 6PM. An aquarium that boasts a shark tunnel and a coral reef rescue program. They offer shark dives and have day, week and annual tickets. They even provide transportation to/from the aquarium for $5 from some parts of Maui. $27.95/adult, $19.95/child, $24.95/senior.
- Molokini Snorkel Tour. Several companies offer boat trips to the Molokini atoll where you can snorkel among the reefs and wildlife. Many tours include food and drinks as well as a snorkel stop at turtle town.
- Whale Watching. There are a few companies that offer whale watching tours from the harbor such as the Pacific Whale Foundation.
- Ma’alaea General Store Café & Deli, 132 Maalaea Rd, Wailuku, HI 96793, ☎ . M-Sa 6AM-6PM, Su 6AM–5PM. A general store that originally opened in 1910, now has a cafe and deli.