Maldonado is a city on the Atlantic coast of Uruguay, just north of the beach town of Punta del Este.
Punta del Este is close enough to walk or bike.
Bus service is available from cities such as Montevideo, Piriápolis, and Punta del Este. Buses stop at the 1 Maldonado Bus Terminal at Roosevelt and Sarandí, which has a restaurant, a taxi stand, and couple of small stores selling food and miscellaneous items. It's standard for buses to stop in Maldonado on the way to and from Punta del Este. Maldonado is served by the following bus companies: Bruno, COT, COPSA, Emtur, Tureste, Turismar, Nuñez (there is a platform called URUBUS where all bus companies are centralized and is easier to buy tickets for tourists). There is also local and regional bus service available from Codesa, Guscapar, and Micro Ltda.
- 1 Torre del Vigía, Rafael Pérez del Puerto and Solís.
- 2 Cuartel de Dragones, diagonal from Plaza San Fernando de Maldonado. 10:00–18:00. Where national hero José Artigas joined the Cuerpo de Blandengues military unit. Free.
- 3 El Puente de la Barra, on Ruta 10 at the eastern edge of Punta del Este. An early stressed ribbon bridge—a type of bridge where suspension cables are embedded within the bridge, which has a strange bumpy shape.
- 4 San Fernando de Maldonado Cathedral (Catedral de San Fernando de Maldonado), Plaza San Fernando de Maldonado. Neoclassical cathedral.
- 1 Chihuahua resort and beach (13 km west from the centre). The most popular naturist beach in the country. Clothing optional. Tourist services available.
- 1 Parrillada Classic, Avenida Joaquin de Viana and Roman Bergalli, ☏ +598 4225 4991. Variety of food including classic Uruguayan dishes like pizza, milanesas, barbecue. Casual atmosphere. Delivery available.
- 1 La Pastelería, 3 de Febrero and Sarandí, ☏ +598 4226 3061. Small, elegant cafe with coffee, pastries, snacks, and other beverages. Indoor and outdoor seating.
- 1 [dead link] Hotel Colonial, 18 de Julio 841, ☏ +598 4222 3346, email@example.com.
- 2 De la Plaza Hotel, 18 de Julio and 25 de Mayo, ☏ +598 422 42401, +598 422 42410, firstname.lastname@example.org. Standard hotel with 24 rooms. Small buffet breakfast included. Convenient location right on Plaza San Fernando de Maldonado.
- 3 Serena, Rambla Williman - Parada 24, ☏ +598 4223 3441. Beachside hotel that in former times existed as a flour mill, with an outdoor pool practically on the beach, then an indoor pool and spa. It offers a breakfast buffet as well.
Avoid the Maldonado Nuevo area in the northeast of the city, because since the 1990 a lot of poor people in search of work settled in this area although there were a lack of houses, developing slums that were focus of crime. The situation in this neighbourhood has improved, but the area could still be dangerous for tourists.
- 1 Argentina, Sarandí 822, ☏ +598 42238208, +598 96123640 (emergencies). M–F 12:30–17:00.