Malvan is a fishing port town of 19,000 people (2011) in the Konkan region of Maharashtra. Malvan has a very nice sea-shore. But it is mainly known for famous Sindhudurg fort. Maratha king Shri Shivaji Maharaj built this fort on island of Kurte.
Apart from the fort, you can relax on the beaches of Tarkarli and Chiwla beach. These beaches are neat and clean and very less crowded. Also one more spot is the Rock Garden. One temple built by Jayant Salgaonkar is the Jay Ganesh temple where the idol is of Gold. Malvan is worth a visit and sightseeing can be completed in two days.
This is the best way to get in. Malvan is around 35 km towards west of a town Kasal which is on Mumbai-Goa National Highway NH-17. Distance from Mumbai is around 540 km while from Kolhapur it is mere 160 km.
State Transport buses ply from Mumbai, Kolhapur, Pune to Malvan.
Nearest train station is Kudal which is a station on Konkan Railway and is around 30 km from Malvan.
Nearest airport is Dabolim in North Goa.
Best way to get around is either on foot or using auto rickshaw or hire cycle.
- Medha - Within Malvan city Kushewada and Gold Ganpati Mandir
The impressive Sindhudurg or Ocean Fort, set on an offshore island, was built in 1664 by the great 17th-century warrior, Shivaji to the glory of the Maratha Empire, is just a stone's throw away. Ferry services start from morning 8 and last boat leaves 1700 hours in the evening. fare for them is ₹57 per person which include return cost as of 2009.
Rock garden near to Sindhudurg Fort. It has on the rocks view of sunset.
Situated 6 km south of Malvan and 546 km away from Mumbai on the coast of Maharashtra is Tarkarli. The major attraction here is the long and narrow stretch of beach, with its pristine water. On a clear day, you can see the sea bed through a depth of 20 ft.
Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation has one resort here.
MTDC quarters provide snorkelling facilities near Sindhudurga.
- Malvani Masala
- Mango Products
- Kokam Products
- Prawns and other fish
- Shevkandi Ladoo
- Kulith Pithi
Malvan is famous for seafood. You can have good fresh seafood at Hotel Chaitnya near Malvan Bharad run by Mr. and Mrs. Walke. Worth testing Fried Fish. If you want to try some Malvani dish at your home try Mr. Vidyadhar Padawe's masala shopnear Malvan Fish Market. You will get authentic home made Sunday masal, Garam Masala, Malvani Masala.
- Gananayak Homestay, ☏ . 100 m from the Devbag Beach and five minutes drive away from the Karli River Sangam. This resort has three A/C rooms and also serves traditional Malvani food.
- Manorama Niwas (Manorama Homestay). A small resort with three cottage rooms right on the Tarkarli Beach.
- Saagar sangam, deobag (next to MTDC house boats), ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 10AM. It is developed on a 30,000 square foot plot on the Karli River and enjoys about 110ft of river front. The Arabian Sea is across the road. The confluence of the river and the sea, which has prompted the name, is about 3 km away. 2500.
- Hotel Sagar Kinara, Malvan (Malvan hotel Sagar Kinara), 5 Somwar Peth (near Malvan Beach), ☏ . Check-in: 10PM, check-out: noon. Hotel Sagar Kinara is equipped with all essential amenities, deluxe, super deluxe rooms, multi cuisine restaurant and bar. 1000.