Maragogi is on the AL-101 highway, about 125km north of Maceió.
- 1 Rodoviaria de Maragogi.
From Maceió you can take a van from the rodoviaria. The price is R$23 (March 2021).
As of May 2021 there is no direct bus from Recife. From Recife you can take an intercity bus for R$24 (May 2021) with air conditioning to Barreiros. The schedule you can find for example on Clickbus. From Barreiros take a van from the main street (Av. Maria Amália Bezerra de Melo) to São José da Coroa Grande/Peroba. They depart every 15-30min and cost R$5 (May 2021). You can simply flag them down, there are no bus stops. On the final stop take a van that go to Maragogi for R$5 (May 2021). They go every 5min and depart until 17:30.
The other option from Recife is a shared ride with Blablacar. The maximum price is R$33 (May 2021). Some drivers do this route as a job. Their rides may only start when you are not the only person who booked it.
From São Miguel dos Milagres
From São Miguel dos Milagres take a mototaxi for around R$13 (May 2021) to the ferry of Porto de Pedras. If it rains you could also wait for the scheduled van. The ferry is for free for passengers without a vehicle. From the other side of the river take an Uber to Japaratinga. You could also ask if somebody could call you a mototaxi to Japaratinga for R$13. Or you hitch-hike with a car that was on the ferry. From Japaratinga you take a van that goes to Maragogi. These vans go in Japaratinga along the country road L-465 and cost R$6 (May 2021). You can simply flag them down and they will stop for you anywhere.
Maragogi itself can be nicely explored on foot.
To the beautiful beaches in the north up to Peroba there are vans bringing you there. They depart around every 5min from the Terminal Rodoviario. As of May 2021 to Barra Grande for R$3, Atunes for R$4 and Peroba for R$5. The last bus back to Maragogi departs in Peroba at 17:30.
To the beaches in the south up to Praia Japaratinga take the van in the direction of Porto Calvo. They depart every 15min and cost up to R$5 (May 2021).
Outside of Maragogi you can enter and exit the vans wherever you like. There are no specific bus stops.
The area is also covered by Uber.
- Famous for its natural pools which are about 6 km off the coast. Tours to the pools last about 2 hours. You should do it with low tide (0.4m) to enjoy the crystalline water, coloured fishes and reef. You can rent a snorkel or just bring your own. Bring your waterproof camera or you can hire a photographer.
- Camacho beach is a quieter, more secluded beach south of Maragogi beach. It can be reached by foot.
There is a Bradesco bank.
- 1 Rei da Pizza Maragogi, R. J. Carvalho Raposo, 10.
- 2 Point Do Sanduba, Av. Sen. Rui Palmeira, 269-563.
- 3 Paulista Restaurante, Av. Sen. Rui Palmeira, 753.
- 4 Mimo’s Bar e Restaurante, Av. Sen. Rui Palmeira.
- 1 Maragogi Hostel, Avenida Helio Holanda Costa No01. In the center from R$40 per night (May 2021). Nice breakfast included.
- 2 Praia Hostel, R. João Corrêa de Almeida, 209.
- Hotel Salinas is a popular resort south of the center.
From Maragogi you can go to these places, which all of them have hostels:
- Porto de Galinhas. There are a few Blablacar rides. And there are Blablacar rides from Maragogi to Recife. For those ask the driver to drop you off in Porto de Galinhas.
- São Miguel dos Milagres. Take a scheduled van to Japaratinga. It goes every 15min and costs R$5 (May 2021). From there take a motortaxi to the ferry for R$13 (May 2021). In April 2021 the ferry was for free when not having a car or motorbike. From Porto de Pedras there are scheduled vans for R$6 (May 2021) or Motortaxis to São Miguel dos Milagres and to the nearby village Porto da Rua, where the hostel is.
- Ipioca Beach near Maceió