Marco Island is an island city in Southwest Florida, located at the edge of the Everglades. Popular with vacationers for its beautiful beaches and small-town appeal, Marco Island doesn't offer many attractions, but those looking for relaxation and recreation will find plenty to enjoy.
From the east coast of South Florida, drivers can take Interstate 75 (Alligator Alley) westbound into the Naples-Marco Island Metropolitan Area. Drivers coming from the north can also take I-75 southbound.
Marco Island is easily navigable by car and bicycle. It is also a great walking town, and pedestrians will appreciate the additional safety measure provided by large flashing signs at designated crosswalks.
The main highlight of Marco Island is the white-sand beach. Depending on the time of year you visit, it is rarely overly crowded (except on occasion outside of the major resorts), and aside from the water you can check out the countless seashells lining the shore. On a clear day, the view of the sunset is spectacular from the Marco Island beach.
Marco Island offers many activities. Some of them are as follows:
- Rent a boat and go sailing or fishing on the Gulf.
- Swim and/or sunbathe on the beach. The Gulf waters are refreshingly calm and cool.
- Go for a walk along Tigertail Beach, at the northern tip of Marco Island. You can check out the lagoon and the interesting wildlife there.
- Go para-sailing on the ocean. The ride is fun and the aerial views are incredible.
- Go biking or rollerblading along the streets of the island.
- Play golf or tennis at your hotel or at one of the city's recreational centers.
There is a variety of restaurants on the island. These range from the formal Italian cuisine found at Da Vinci's, to a more casual Mexican style found in Nacho Mama's.
There are a few bars in Marco Island, though the town itself is not much of a drinker's destination. For more options and variety, head north to Naples.
- Marco Island Florida Vacation Rentals, 181 Bonita Ct., ☏ . Spacious waterfront vacation homes with heated pools and beautiful water views, located in quiet neighborhoods.
- [formerly dead link] Horizons Rentals of Marco Island, 661 South Collier Blvd, toll-free: . Service offering dozens of vacation rentals (homes, condos, and more).
- JW Marriott Marco Island Beach Resort, 400 S. Collier Blvd, ☏ . Recently renovated and expanded as of 2017, this family-friendly resort hotel is now a JW Marriott property, located right on the beach.
- Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort, 560 S. Collier Boulevard, ☏ . Hilton resort with oversize guestrooms, beach activities, and more.
- Marco Beach Ocean Resort, 480 S. Collier Boulevard, ☏ . Luxury hotel.
- Naples - A charming waterfront city, located about 20 miles (32 km) north of Marco Island.