Maremma is being promoted as a destination for agritourism.
The landscape of the Maremma is extremely varied, because the Maremma extends over plains and hills, and has a fabulous and not yet polluted coastline.
It is a very wild and low densely populated area (one of the lowest in Italy), with very little industrialization.
The Mediterranean maquis alternates with olive groves and vineyards, and sandy beaches with a rocky coastline.
The inland hills are rich in natural hot springs too.
Flora and fauna
Mediterranean climate: neither very hot in summer nor very cold in winter.
The major centers (Tarquinia, Capalbio, Orbetello, Grosseto, Cecina) on the coast between Rome and Pisa are well connected through railway and motorway "via Aurelia". Trains stops in minor centers with lesser frequency.
The nearest airports are located in Rome (about 70 km from Tarquinia), Pisa (about 60 km from Cecina) and Florence (about 80 km from Grosseto).
To reach minor centers, especially the ones located in the internal parts of Maremma, a car is required. Also by car, these centers are linked by tortuous roads, climbing up and down from the hills.
The local bus company is called RAMA . Their busses connect almost all the minor centres to Grosseto.
Giglio and Giannutri islands can be reached from Porto Santo Stefano and Castiglione della Pescaia.
A car is recommended to explore the area.
- 1 Giardino dei Tarocchi (Tarot Garden), Giardino dei Tarocchi, Pescia Fiorentina, Capalbio (reaching by bus could be a bit tricky, but check for bus #120 Orbetello-Capalbio), ☎ . The garden is full of psychedelic sculptures inspired by Tarot cards. It was created by the French artist Niki de Saint Phalle and her husband Jean Tinguely during the period between 1979-2002. The idea of the garden was influenced by Gaudí's Parc Güell in Barcelona, and Parco dei Mostri in Bomarzo.
- 2 Populonia (Parco archeologico di Baratti e Populonia) (At the Gulf of Baratti, North of Piombino). The park includes several areas from the ancient Etruscan city of Populonia, the necropolis of San Cerbone, Casone and the grotto, and the cave of calcarenite.
- Signhtseeing (Grosseto, Massa Marittima, Pitigliano, Manciano, Vie Cave, Abbadia Ardenghesca, Civitella Paganico and more)
- Parco Naturale della Maremma (Maremma Regional Park).
- UNESCO Geopark: Tuscany mining geopark, with nice spots
- Beaches: fun in the sun and the blue sea!
- Lots of restaurants (wild boar is the traditional meat in the Maremma)
- Nature parks such as the Maremma Nature Park and Lake Burano
- Excellent wines (Morellino, Monteregio, Montecucco, just to name a few ones)
- Water sports
- Horseback riding
- Hot springs and spas (Petriolo and Saturnia)
Fantastic olive oil, good wine, tasteful food, some arts and crafts.
There are some malls, but they are not really interesting, so stick to smaller shops.
The Maremma is a popular region for language vacations.
- Terramare, Via Roma 42, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Italian language school with many years of experience, specializing in one to one tuition and mini group courses with intensive outdoor program. Lessons take place in the classroom as well as during excursions and visits.
- Wildbore (cinghiale)
- Acqua cotta
- Tortelli maremmani
- Cured meat
- Manciano cheese
- Porcini mushrooms
- Sea food
An excellent and fun way of eating good real traditional food at a reasonable price is by going to one of the many village festivals organized in the Summer: they are called Sagra.
D.O.C. Wines of the Maremma
- Morellino di Scansano
- Pitigliano Bianco
Here is a page by the Regione Toscana on the Wine Trails of Tuscany
- Pieve di Caminino Historic Resort , Strada Provinciale 89, Roccastrada (GR): 6 romantic suites with fireplace and antique futniture in an 11th century former monastery. Panoramic Pool, Strategic location to reach top Maremma and Tuscany destinations.
- Tenuta San Carlo , Strada Provinciale 40 della Trappola 147/a 58046 Marina di Grosseto, (GR) Italia. Tel. & Fax +39 0564 31016. Situated in the regional park of the area, Parco dell'Uccellina, Tenuta San Carlo is a great example of what it's like to live on an Italian farm. The property is approximately 400 ha (1,000 acres) and has some of the most equisite examples of the flora and fauna of the area such as wildboar, horses, bovine, daini (small deer), foxes, porcupines, turtles, many species of rare Italian birds, pine forests, swamp land, and natural fresh water and salt water beaches.
- Casina di Rosa - Vacation rental in Maremma  - Vacation rental in medieval hilltop village, Civitella Marittima, in the inland hills of the Maremma. On the border between the Siena region and the Maremma, it is the ideal base to explore many diverse areas of Tuscany. It can accommodate up to 3 people. It has received many excellent reviews, and it was chosen as Slow Travel Favourite in 2005. The website for this house is full of useful information about the Maremma and the Siena area, ideas for your holidays and a remarkable photogallery with hundreds of photos.
- Agriturismo in Maremma Il Passo degli Ulivi  - Holiday farmhouse in the countryside of the Maremma, near Petriolo Hot Springs. 3 holiday rental apartments with airconditioning, garden, terraces and shared swimming pool.
- Holiday villa in Maremma Lo Scopetaccio  - Beautiful holiday rental cottage on the Metalliferous hills, 2km away from the village of Sassofortino. It can accommodate up to 4 and has a huge private garden and use of the owners' swimming pool.
- Saturnia Tuscany Hotel  - 2 kilometres from the famous Mulino Waterfalls and the Terme di Saturnia Spa, with its golf course and thermal pools, Saturnia Tuscany Hotel is the ideal place to spend a relaxing holiday in the Saturnia valley.
- Farmhouse in Maremma Tuscany  - Farmhouse Il Quarto is in the heart of Maremma Tuscany, 20km from Saturnia Spa. Surrounded by olive groves and vineyards, the 98 hectare farm allows guests to experience total relaxation and tranquility.
- Hotel Accommodation in Maremma Tuscany  - Agrialbergo Capalbio is in Capalbio near the Maremman coast. It offers comfortable rooms fitted with all services.
- Locanda La Pieve, Semproniano-Saturnia (GR)  - 9 km from the spa of Saturnia is the medieval village of Semproniano. Each of the 8 rooms is different in colour and décor, but all have a private bathroom, individually controlled air conditioning, television, telephone and safe.
Furnishings, colours and details reminds one of the Tuscan tradition and the territory of “Maremma” to which the Locanda La Pieve belongs.