Marion is a small city in Central Indiana, the home of Indiana Wesleyan University, and birthplace of James Dean.
- 1 Marion Municipal Airport.
The Cardinal Greenway is a bike path that connects with nearby towns.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 3:08PM local time and lasts 2 min. The chances of a clear sky are 35%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Illinois, then across Indiana to Ohio and the Canada–New England border.
- 1 Matter Park, N River Rd &, N Quarry Rd, ☏ . Daily 8AM-11PM. Picturesque garden. Garfield Statue since Marion was the home of Jim Davis. Christmas Light display during the Holiday season.
- 2 Indiana Wesleyan University.
- 3 National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, Marion Branch.
- 4 Quilters Hall of Fame (Webster House), 926 S Washington St, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM. It may not be the most exciting thing to see, but there is this niche museum.
- 5 Fairmount Historical Museum (J.W. Patterson House), 203 E Washington St, Fairmount, ☏ . Th-M 11AM-5PM. Large repository of James Dean memorabilia, plus other items pertaining to the history of the larger Marion area. James Dean is a big deal in Fairmount because, though he was born in Marion and temporarily moved to California, it's where he grew up after moving back at age 9 to live on his aunt and uncle's farm and also where he is buried. And not just James Dean, but Garfield creator Jim Davis also hailed from a farm here.
- 6 James Dean Gallery, 425 N Main St, Fairmount, ☏ . Daily 9AM-6PM. More James Dean stuff, e.g. his leather jacket and Indian motorcycle.
- 7 James Dean's Gravesite, 8106-8334 S 150 E, Fairmount (in Park Cemetery, some signs to guide you to grave). Where the Hollywood icon/idol was laid to rest, with dream rocks and things still left by his admirers.
James Dean Festival every summer. Every other year the YMCA puts on an Easter pageant!
- Indiana Wesleyan Wildcats. The athletic teams of Indiana Wesleyan University.
- Mississinewa 1812, 6000 County Rd 300 W, La Fontaine (10 or so miles northwest of Marion), ☏ . Watch yearly reenactments of this War of 1812 battle, when President William Henry Harrison sent out the troops against Miami tribes as a reprisal for attacks on surrounding Indiana forts, e.g. Fort Wayne. Held in early October.
- 1 Five Points Mall. A closed mall that still has an Applebee's, a couple of fitness locations, and a small outlet store. Nearby in the same lot is a Buffalo Wild Wing's.
Baldwin Cafeteria of Indiana Wesleyan University has a great Sunday breakfast after church time.
College Inn Bed and Breakfast. S. Washington St. Directly across from Indiana Wesleyan University. Quiet, quant place with friendly staff!
|Routes through Marion|
|Fort Wayne ← Huntington ←||N S||→ Muncie → Indianapolis|
|END ←||N S||→ Noblesville → Indianapolis|