Mariposa is located along Highway 140, west of Yosemite, and is an inexpensive option for motel lodging when visiting Yosemite.
- From Yosemite, take Highway 140 west out of Yosemite Valley. Mariposa is about an hour's drive away.
- From the west take Highway 140 east out of California's San Joaquin Valley. Highway 140 crosses both Interstate 5 and State Route 99, which are the main north-south routes within the valley.
The closest Amtrak station is in Merced where you can transfer to a YARTS bus. You can book a thruway bus with an Amtrak agent or at Amtrak.com. The bus trip from the Merced Amtrak Station to midtown Mariposa takes about 45 minutes.
- Yosemite Area Regional Transit System (YARTS). Shuttle operates from mid-May through late-September. The YARTS shuttle travels on Highway 140 from Merced to Yosemite Valley, with several stops in Mariposa. Ticket prices include park entry, and can be purchased from the shuttle driver.
- 1 Mariposa-Yosemite Airport (RMY IATA). A General aviation airport. A company offers charter aerial tours of Yosemite ($200 a person)
Walk. The commercial district about 10 blocks long and runs along Central Yosemite Highway, Route 140.
- 1 California State Mining and Mineral Museum, 5005 Fairgrounds Rd (Go south on highway 49 for 1.8 miles, then turn left onto Fairground Road.), ☏ . Winter: Th-Su 10AM-4PM, Summer: Th-Su 10AM-5PM. Learn about the California gold rush, mining and minerals in this museum. See gold formations, gold nuggets, minerals and gems. $4, 12 and under: free.
- 2 Mariposa Museum & History Center, 5119 Jessie St (The YARTS bus stops next to the Museum). 10AM to 4PM daily. Museum showcases the history of Mariposa County. It has several old buildings including a working blacksmith shop. Inside the museum are objects from Chinese immigrants who looked for gold and objects belonging to the Miwuk Indian Tribe. Also inside is a reproduction of a miner's cabin and a replica of the county courthouse. $5.00 for adults over 18, free for children under 18.
- Blue Heron sports, 5081 Highway 140, ☏ . Nice little outdoor shop for trekking, camping, fishing and outdoor activities. Owner is very friendly and has excellent tips on planning the yosemite trip.
- 1 Happy Burger Diner, 5120 State Highway 140, ☏ . Opens 6AM. Has a big menu with all day lunch and dinner, and breakfast till 11:30AM. Offers Wi-Fi, and vegan options.
- 2 Charles Street Dinner House, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 5PM-10PM. Fine dining with steaks and a large wine selection.
- 1 1850 Brewing Company, 5114 Highway 140, ☏ . Brewery and diner. Brewery specializes in beers with nature inspired tastes. Diner specializes in burgers.
- Comfort Inn, 4994 Bullion St (from SR140/SR49, take 4th St. 1 block east), ☏ , fax: .
- 1 Best Western Yosemite Way Station, 4999 State Highway 140, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- 2 Quality Inn.
- 3 Monarch Inn.
|Routes through Mariposa|
|Auburn ← Coulterville ←||N S||→ Oakhurst → Ends at|
|Gustine ← Merced ←||W E||→ El Portal → Yosemite N.P.|