Located along State Route 99 which runs between the agricultural cities of the eastern San Joaquin Valley, Merced is also a gateway to Yosemite via State Route 140.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Merced is served by one major highway (CA 99).
Amtrak serves Merced via its Sacramento-Bay Area-Bakersfield San Joaquin route with seven departures per day. There are also bus connections between Merced and Yosemite National Park. 1 Merced Station is located at 324 W 24th St.
In addition Merced is served by Greyhound bus via its downtown station.
- Yosemite Area Regional Transit System (YARTS). Shuttle operates from mid-May through late-September. The YARTS shuttle travels on Highway 140 from Merced to Yosemite Valley, with stops in Merced at the University of California campus, Merced Mall, the local airport, the Amtrak Station, and other locations in Merced. Ticket prices include park entry, and can be purchased from the shuttle driver.
- 2 Merced Regional Airport (MCE IATA). Has passenger service operated by Boutique Air, with direct flights to and from Los Angeles and Sacramento.
- The Bus provides several routes in and around Merced.
The M5 - Merced South-East route travels between the transportation center bus stop, Greyhound bus stop, Amtrak Station, and hotels along Motel Drive and Parsons Ave.
The University of California's newest campus, 1 UC Merced, opened in September of 2005. The campus, located on Lake Road to the northeast of the city, is open to the public.
- Merced County Courthouse Museum, 21st & N Street, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Wednesday - Sunday 1:00pm - 4:00pm.
- Merced Mall, 713 Merced Mall, ☏ .
- Merced Antique Mall, 320 W Main St, ☏ .
- Bella Luna Bistro & Bar, 350 West Main St, ☏ .
- Cafe Sol, 3361 G St.
- 1 Hanger BBQ, 26 Macready Dr. (Next to the Merced Regional Airport), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-TH 5:00pm-11:00pm, F-SA 11:30AM - 1:00AM, SU: Closed. Great atmosphere, live music and a decent bar.
- King Asian, 360 W Main St, ☏ .
- Paul's Place Restaurant & Bkry, 2991 G St, ☏ .
- Pinocchio’s, 460 W Main Stree, ☏ .
- Pocket 8's, 9 W Alexander Ave, ☏ .
- [dead link] Sam Cafe, 235 W 12th St, ☏ .
- String's Italian Cafe, 731 E Yosemite Ave, ☏ .
- 2 Sushi Cuisine, 3544 G. Street, ☏ . SU-TH 11:00am-2:30pm, 5:00pm - 9:00pm FR-SA 11:00am-2:30pm, 5:00pm-9:30pm. Some of the best sushi in the area. Popular with the students from UC Merced.
- The Partisan, 432 West Main St. Opens at 4, closing time varies. A Merced bar that is a favorite for both locals and UCM students and faculty. Open from Mon-Sat, drink specials every night. Live music from local/national independent musicians every Tuesday and Saturday, open mic night every Monday, Rock Band/Karaoke every Wednesday, and a DJ on Thursday and Friday. Closed for remodel.
- 17th Street Public House (17th Street Bar), 315 W Main St Merced, CA 95340, ☏ . 12:00pm-Close.
- 1 Best Western Inn, 1033 Motel Dr, ☏ , fax: .
- 2 Courtyard Merced, 750 Motel Dr, ☏ , fax: . Check-out: Noon.
- 3 Holiday Inn Express, 151 South Parsons Ave, ☏ .
- 4 Motel 6 Merced North, 1410 V St, ☏ , fax: .
- 5 HI-Merced Home Hostel, ☏ .
- 6 [dead link] Budget Inn, 1215 R St, ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Yosemite National Park - Less than two hours east along State Route 140 by car.
- Merced National Wildlife Refuge - Located about twenty miles southwest of Merced, this refuge hosts huge numbers of cranes, geese and other waterfowl during winter months.
|Routes through Merced|
|Sacramento ← Atwater ←||N S||→ Chowchilla → Fresno|
|Gustine ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ Mariposa → Yosemite N.P.|
|Sacramento / Emeryville ← Modesto ←||N S||→ Madera → Bakersfield|