Madera is often considered the gateway to the Sierras. Boasting a vibrant Latino community, Madera is also home to many factory farms and almond groves.
Winters have cool weather, but summer temperatures are quite unbearable for most travelers.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Take Amtrak to Madera, but do it in the daylight for your health. That way, you can enjoy a scenic trip through the Delta and beyond, and just when you think you can't go any farther, don't fall asleep, you will have reached Madera.
- 1 Amtrak Station (Take Avenue 15 1/2 at 29th Road. Just a warning, though: there is no payphone, no station attendant, and no bathroom; it's basic).
It's best not to get around the town on foot: the size of the town makes this impractical, and this is probably not safest, especially at night.
Most drivers in Madera don't have car insurance. This means that, if their car crashes into yours or your car crashes into theirs, they don't have an insurance company that will pay for the damage.
This issue reflects the problems with getting around by foot or car: safety, size of the town, and insurance.
- Dolphin Taxi, 219 E Yosemite Ave Ste B, ☏ .
- Madera Taxi, 123 N E St Ste 103, ☏ .
See and do
- Orchards (In the countryside around town). When the orchards are in bloom in late January to early March, take a drive down the country roads into what appears to be a sea of clouds in a pure blue sky: almond orchards as far as the eye can see.
Buy, eat, and drink
- 1 Pilot Travel Center, #365 - 22717 Avenue 18 1/2. They serve microwave burritos and 2-for-1 hotdogs. If you're looking for something a bit spicier, out in the parking lot you'll find the local working ladies. They pack a punch.
- 2 TECO Farm Supply (Teco Hardware), 880 South Pine Street. One of the West's last farm supply stores, this store has switched to carrying primarily hardware. You can still get a feel for what it used to be like, driving up in the Model T and picking up a can of dewormer for the cows.
- 1 Holiday Inn Express, 2290 Marketplace Dr., ☏ .
- Motel 6, 22683 Avenue 18 1/2, ☏ , fax: .
- SpringHill Suites Madera, 1219 E Almond Ave (Right off The 99 To your Left), ☏ . 99.00 (USD).
- Sacramento — Route 99 North. About 2 hours 15 minutes away.
- Los Banos — Route 99 North to 152 West. About 55 minutes away.
- Fresno — Route 99 South. About 10 minutes away.
- Yosemite National Park — Route 145 East and Route 41 North. About 3 hours away.
|Routes through Madera|
|Sacramento ← Chowchilla ←||N S||→ Fresno → Bakersfield|
|Sacramento / Emeryville ← Merced ←||N S||→ Fresno → Bakersfield|