Mark Twain National Forest’s 1.5 million acres through 29 southern and central Missouri counties is known for its rivers and trails.
- Supervisor's Office, 401 Fairgrounds Road, ☏ . Rolla, MO.
In the 1870s, citizens of southern Missouri began an era of extensive logging of the state's native oak, hickory, and pine forests. Lumber mills were commonplace, but by the 1920s they had disappeared, along with much of the state's native forests. Thus, in 1939 President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the MTNF into existence. In March 1933, he also created the Emergency Conservation Work Act, better known as the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). In the area that would later become Mark Twain National Forest, hundreds of young men at over fifty CCC sites worked at building roads and planting hundreds of acres of pine to preserve and enhance the natural resources of southern Missouri. Many of their contributions can still be visited and enjoyed today.
Flora and fauna
White tail deer and wild turkey.
Missouri has unpredictable weather.
- Springfield-Branson National Airport (SGF IATA)  US Hwy 60 east Van Buren, Missouri or turn at Winona, Missouri on Highway 19 go north to Eminence 2 hours.
- Lambert - Saint Louis International Airport (STL IATA)  Interstate 44 southwest to Rolla, take Highway 19 South through Salem. 2 hours.
Fees and permits
- Cane Bluff
- The Eleven Point River is an 88-mile long river, 44 miles of which are designated as a National Wild and Scenic River. The river is one of the Midwest's most preserved free-flowing streams.
- Glade Top Trail
- Greer Spring
- Irish Wilderness
- McCormack Lake
- The Narrows
- Turner's Mill
- Hiking on over 500 miles of trails.
- Mountain biking.
- Picnicking at dozens of picnic grounds.
Swimming, fishing and canoeing are popular activities. The Blue Ribbon Trout Area is a noted fishing spot.
Canoe rental is available from several companies:
- Eleven Point Canoe Rental.
- Hufstedlers Canoe Rental.
- Richard's Canoe Rental.
Many campgrounds in the forest.
- Buffalo Creek (Eleven Point Ranger District).
- Hammonds Camp (Ava Ranger District).
Deer camps are free camping.