Matamata is on State Highway 27. The quickest route from Auckland is to start heading south on State Highway 1, then after crossing the Bombay Hill, turn on to State Highway 2, which leads into State Highway 27 after passing the turn-off to Tauranga.
Approximate distances and drive times are:
- Auckland – 160 km / 2 hrs
- Hamilton – 65 km / 50 mins
- Tauranga – 50 km / 40 mins
- Rotorua – 70 km / 55 mins
- Taupo – 120 km / 90 mins
- Intercity. This bus company has about 8 coaches per day passing through on the roughly north–south Auckland–Rotorua route, and the east–west Tauranga–Hamilton route.
- 1 Firth Tower Museum, 266 Tower Rd (2 km from the edge of town). Buildings Th-M 10am–4pm; grounds daily 10am–4pm. Museum displays in 13 buildings including the tower built in 1882. Museum displays are by the Matamata Historical Society. Buildings adult $10, senior, child (under 16 years) $5; grounds free.
- 2 Hobbiton Movie Set Tours, 501 Buckland Rd, Hinuera (14 km from Matamata). Daily from 8:30am; last tour time varies seasonally. Tour the film set used for the Shire in the Lord of the Rings film trilogy and The Hobbit film series. Pick-up from Matamata i-Site at no extra charge. Adult $79, 9–16 years $39.50, under 9 years free with paying adult. Pick-up from Rotorua for extra $35.
- 1 Horse and Jockey Inn, 81 Arawa St. 15 room hotel. From $45.
- 2 Matamata Backpackers, 61 Firth St (SH 27), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 2 pm, check-out: 10am. Small hostel consisting of small cabins, an ablution block, shared kitchen and dining room, laundry facilities, games garage and TV/movie lounge. Two-minute walk from the i-Site (Hobbiton departure point). Also provides the use of amenities for people travelling in campervans for a small fee. From $24 dorm to $59 private.
There are public toilets on Hetana St, just along from the i-Site Visitor Centre.