Mehsana is in North Gujarat, India. The city has very few places of interest for tourists but can serve as a base for excursions.
Established in the 14th century, the city was under the Gaekwads of Baroda State from the 18th century to the independence of India in 1947.
- 1 Mehsana Juction. is 70 km from Ahmedabad Railway Station. Local trains take about 1½ hr to reach Mehsana from Ahmedabad.
Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC/ST), provides bus service connecting all major cities and towns of Gujarat. Go 2 Old Bus Sation. or 3 Mehsana Central Bus Port (New Bus Station). to catch a bus.
Shared Jeeps are available from Adalaj near Ahmedabad but they are somewhat crowded and uncomfortable.
The nearest airport is Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport at Ahmedabad. 4 Mehsana Airport. It has no scheduled flights
- 5 Mehsana Municipal City Bus Service. 8AM-9PM. 8 buses ply on 8 routes across the city. Toranwali Mata Chowk Bus station is central bus hub. Live bus locations and route information can be seen on MCBS Android App. Tickets ₹5-₹10. Free for women and disabled.
- Autorickshaws are other main local mode of transport. Shuttles are available for transport in the city.
- 1 Boter Kothani Vav (Mehsana stepwell) (Near Ambaji Temple). A stepwell built in 1674 CE during the reign of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb. It has unique twin wells. It is now polluted and in poor condition. The oldest surviving monument of the city. Free.
- 2 Rajmahal, Near Old Bus Stand, Rajmahal Road. Closed, requires permission for access. Built in 1904 by Sayajirao Gaekwad III of Baroda State, it was used as the government office and later as the court until 2017. It has three floors and 130 rooms.
- 3 Swami Vivekanand Lake (Para Talav). 7AM-8PM. Redeveloped in 2019, the lake has a childrens' playground, yoga centre, food court, jogging tracks and boating falicities. ₹10.
- 4 Arvind Baug. A garden.
- 5 Biladi Baug (Mahatma Gandhi garden). A garden with children play area. It has another small stepwell known as Badiyashi Vav built by Shah Virchand Jadavji.
- 6 Simandhar Jain temple. 6AM-9PM. Built in 1971, a large Jain temple dedicated Simandhar Swami, a Jain Tirthankara. A fine example of Maru-Gurjara temple. Free.
- 7 Dudhsagar Dairy (Amul). A postmodernist building designed by Achyut Kanvinde. You can watch dairy processing here. Requires prior permission for visit.
- 8 Manoranjan Parshwanath Jain temple (Mota Derasar), Choksi Bazar, Pilajiganj, ☏ +912762221253. 7AM-noon, 5PM-7PM. A more than hundred years old Jain twin temples. The central deity Parshwanth was consecrated in Samvat 1920 and is among 108 major Parshwanath temples. The other central deity is Sumatinath. This beautiful two storeyed temple has glass studded roofs and pillars. There are five footprint shrines on the roof accessible only by special permission. No photography without permission. Free.
- 9 Toranwali Mataji temple, Pilajiganj. The town deity of Mehsana. According to the legend, the temple marks the foundation of the town.
- 10 Jain Dadawadi (Adinath Paduka and Ravisagar Gurumandir), Panch Limdi. Consecrated in Samvat 1956, the hall has a shrine containing footprints of Jain Tirthankara Adinath. The footprints of Jain Muni Ravisagar was consecrated in Samvat 1979 while the idols of Ravisagar and Sukhsagar were installed in Samvat 1991. Later a separate shrine dedicated to Buddhisagar was built outside the hall in Veer Samvat 2495. All these are respected Jain monks so the shrines are visited by their followers. Free.
- 11 T. J. Highschool. Founded in 1889. Old building.
There are four shopping malls around Panchot Bypass Circle which can fulfill all needs of tourist.
- 1 Osia Hypermart. 10AM-10PM. A mall providing all daily needs.
- 2 D Mart, Panchot Bypass Circle, ☏ +919375585450. 8AM-10PM. A shopping mall. Free parking.
- 1 Sahyog Sweets and Namkeen (Opp. Dudhsagar dairy). Try Penda, a sweet and Bhakharwadi, a spicy snack. Fast food and milk products are available.
- 2 Nilkanth Restaurant, Nr. Sahaj Villa, Radhanpur Road, ☏ +91 9737746440. 11AM-2PM, 6-11PM. Multi-cuisine restaurant. ₹500 for 2.
- 1 Madhvi Dairy, Radhanpur Chowkdi, ☏ +91 9824062255. 8:30AM-11PM. Drink lassi and milkshakes. ₹90-100.
- 1 Hotel Sahara Bridge, Apollo Enclave, Opp. Simandhar Jain temple (Modhera Chowkdi), ☏ +91 2762 230823. Check-out: 10AM. Upscale hotel. Western toilets, AC rooms, multi-cuisine restaurant, laundry, room service. Single ₹800-1600, Double ₹1000-1750, Extra bed ₹150.
- 2 Hotel Tulsi and Restaurant, Opp. Nagalpur Bus Stand, Nr. Nagalpur College, ☏ +91 2762 233491, +91 7698164429. Simple rooms, multi-cuisine restaurant (₹500 for two), AC options, room service, budget option. Double ₹1400.
- 3 Malgudi Food Inn, Fatehpura Bypass Circle, ☏ +91 9824352944. Great food at multi-cuisine restaurant. AC, room service, laundry. ₹1700 for 2.
- 1 Head Post Office, Visnagar Link Rd, Behind GEB, Balark Park Society, Ramdevnagar. 10AM-4PM.
- 2 Blue Dart Express, 41, Sardar Patel Vyapar Sankul, Opp. Nalanda School, Urban Bank Road, Malgodown. 9:30AM-7:30PM. Courier service.
- 3 Government district library. 10AM-5PM. Open Wi-Fi by GTPL.
- 4 Lions Hospital. Medical facilities including for emergencies.
- 5 Civil Hospital (General Hospital). All basic medical facilities operated by Government.