Merauke is a city in Papua and is the capital city of South Papua. Merauke has become a gateway to Wasur National Park.
Merauke is the capital of South Papua province. It is the most eastern city of Indonesia. There is also a 0 kilometres monument.
- 1 Mopah Airport (MKQ IATA). There are multiple daily flights from Jakarta's Soekarno-Hatta International Airport on Garuda Indonesia, Lion Air, and Batik Air. Some flights make a stopover in Jayapura or Makassar.
The land border crossing between Papua and Papua New Guinea open to foreigners is in the Sota border post, connecting Merauke and Wereave, PNG. There is no public transport across, so car or motorbike hire for some of the distance is required. Advance visas are required.
By ride-hailing app
There is an online ride-hailing app, Gojek. You may choose to go by motorcycle or car.
By rented vehicles
Using a rented car or motorcycle is the best way to go to tourists or public places and it is more affordable.
- 1 0 km monument (Tugu 0 KM Merauke - Sabang), Sota. The most eastern point of Indonesia monument.
- 2 Wasur National Park (Taman Nasional Wasur). The largest wetland in South Papua province of Indonesia and has been one of the least disturbed by human activity. About 70% of the total area of the park consists of savanna (see Trans-Fly savanna and grasslands), while the remaining vegetation is swamp forest, monsoon forest, coastal forest, bamboo forest, grassy plains, and large stretches of sago swamp forest. Common fauna species include the agile wallaby, pesquet's parrot, southern cassowary, blue-crowned pigeon, greater bird-of-paradise, king bird-of-paradise, red bird-of-paradise, New Guinea crocodile, and saltwater crocodile.
- 3 Lake Rawa Biru, Sota. Entry: Rp5,000.
- 4 Lampu Satu Beach (Pantai Lampu Satu).
- 5 Libra Monument (Monumen Lingkaran Brawijaya, Tugu Libra). City icon.
- 6 Onggaya Beach (Pantai Onggaya), Nasem.
- 7 Payum Beach (Pantai Payum), Samkai.
- 8 Taman Satwa Yamai Ato, Jl. Marind, Maro. Watching Australasian fauna.
- 9 Time capsule monument (Monumen Kapsul Waktu), Alun-alun, Kelapa lima. 8AM-10PM.
Birdwatching by camping on Wasur National Park. The park provides habitat for a large variety of up to 358 bird species of which some 80 species are endemic to the island of New Guinea including the endemic birds-of-paradise, kookaburra, cassowary, cockatoo, crowned pigeon, and so on.
Buy abon rusa, a deer floss and dendeng rusa, a deer dendeng (thinly sliced dried meat).
- 1 Tifa Rusa, Jl. Ahmad Yani No.10A, Mandala, ☏ . 12:00-22:00. Buy food made from deer meat.
Also teh sarang semut is a herbal tea made from musamus or ant house. Musamus is a nest of an animal similar to the termite Macrotermes sp. The "tea" is made by Marori Manggey tribe in Wasur, Merauke.
- 2 Teh Celup Sarang Semut, Wasur, Merauke, ☏ . 8AM-4PM. Teh sarang semut, a herbal tea.
Venison is a common food ingredient in Merauke.
- 1 Sate Rusa Sederhana, Jl. Raya Mandala No.67, Mandala. A delicacy of Merauke, sate rusa (deer satay).
- 2 Warung Bakso Noari Mas Eko, Jl. Noari, Karang Indah. Serves bakso rusa (deer meatball) soup.
- 1 Bampel Kopi, Jl. Raya Mandala, Bambu Pemali. 6AM-9PM.
- 2 MrB Coffee Merauke, Jl. Ternate, Seringgu Jaya, ☏ .
- 1 Careinn Hotel Merauke (Coreinn), Jl. Kampung Timur No. 234 Seringgu Jaya, Karang Indah, ☏ . Hotel with a swimming pool. Free Wi-Fi, free parking, and free breakfast. From Rp387,696.
- 2 Swiss-Belhotel Merauke, Jl. Raya Mandala No.53, Bambu Pemali, ☏ . The warmly decorated rooms provide free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, safes, and minibars, as well as tea and coffeemakers. Suites add living areas. Room service is available 24/7, and in-room spa treatments are offered. Breakfast and parking are complimentary. There's also an airy restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows and a casual lobby bar. Other amenities include a TV lounge, an outdoor pool, and a fitness room. An airport shuttle is available for a fee. From Rp689,180.
The telephone area code of Merauke is 0971.
- Boven Digoel