Jump to navigation Jump to search
Messenia is a region in the southwestern part of the Peloponnese.
- West Mani — The steep, rugged coast south of Kalamata, scattered with ancient towers, coves and beaches.
- 1 Kalamata — Main city of Messinia Province. Famous for its olives but also a pleasant city with an attractive seafront and stylish new marina.
- 2 Pylos — Very picturesque city in the southwest. Many French-style buildings, as well as a marina and a gloriously shady square.
- 3 Koroni — About 30 minutes drive further on from Finikounda is Koroni, a fishing village which snuggles beneath its great Venetian fortress that overlooks the beautiful harbourfront with pavement cafes and fish restaurants with fresh local produce and authentic Greek cuisine. Just before Koroni is the beautiful Zaga unspoilt beach and beyond are many other beaches.
- 4 Iamia — A Hellenic village 5 km from Loutsa Beach.
- 5 Methoni — A seaside town with popular sandy beaches (including Tapia, Kokkinia and Kritika) and a Venetian castle.
- 6 Foinikounta — A fishing village on the southwestern tip of the Peloponnese peninsula, now relying heavily on summer tourism industry.
- 7 Kardamyli — One of the prettiest coastal villages in the Mani Peninsula
- 8 Kyparissia — An ancient city set on a beautiful countryside along the coastline of Ionian Sea.
- 1 Voidokilia — One of the best beaches in Peloponnese.
Kalamata International Airport (KLX IATA)
- The National Road 9 runs along the west coast of the Peloponnese peninsula, from Patras to Methoni via Pyrgos. Its length is around 220 km
- The National Road 82 connects Pylos with Sparta via Kalamata. Before descending to the city of Sparta, the road crosses the Taygetus mountains over a pass of about 1300 m elevation.
- 1 Temple of Apollo Epicurius at Bassae — One of the most important and most imposing temples of antiquity inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1986. The temple, which has the oldest Corinthian capital yet found, is set in a remote location, at the western foots of the rocky Arcadian mountains.
- 2 Ancient Messene — Ruins of the large classical city-state of Messene, scattered in a lush valley, close to the traditional settlement of Mavrommati.