Jump to navigation Jump to search
Pylos is a city in Messenia, Peloponnese, Greece.
The area of Pylos has a variety of landscapes to visit, with their own marvelous geomorphological history.
- The western limestone-ridge
- The city of Pylos is built on a limestone-ridge which goes north-south. It starts in the south at the town of Methoni, runs to the west of the road Methoni-Pylos where it creates one of the highest hills in the region, Ayos Nikolaos, before it dips to the city of Pylos.
- To the north of Pylos, the limestone-ridge is interrupted creating a set of connections between the bay of Navarino and the Ionian sea. Also the amazing bay of Voidokilia is such an interruption in the limestone ridge. It is here that the waves of the Ionias sea created one of the most spectacular beaches of Greece. The breaking up of the limestone ridge caused the creation of the uninhabited island of Sphacteria.
- The island of Sphacteria has a very steep eastern cliff. This is because there is a north-south fault-line running here, and you are looking at a fault-mirror. This means that the island was lifted and the area, which is now the bay of Navarino, dropped. This happened during the creation of the Alpine mountains (Tertiary era).
- The limestone ridge is not very fertile, and is covered by bushes, low grasses and herb vegetation (maquis). A great place to see snakes. It is mainly used to let sheep and goats graze.
- Although limestone is known for karst phenomena such as caves and dolines, the number of this kind of phenomena is very limited. Nevertheless, there is a nice cave to visit, just south of Voidokilia. It is now called the Cave of Nestor.
- The eastern limestone-horst.
- To the east of Pylos, a massive limestone bock, is sticking out above the landscape, and forms a plateau.
- When you take the road from Kalamata to Pylos, you will notice you come down a few hundred meters before you reach the bay of Navarino
- When you take the road from Methoni to Pylos, you will see on the left (west) the western limestone ridge and to the right (east) the limestone horst.
- It is in this limestone horst you find the quarry of Paleochori, where you can find some great calcite-minerals.
- The marl-area between Pylos-Kalithea
- In the tertiary, a sea was covering the whole area around Pylos, with a few exceptions of the highest hill-tops (actually, the land was much lower, and got uplifted later on, rather than the sea being much higher)
- If you take the road from Pylos to Kalithea, you will see to the south a flat area, mainly covered with olive-groves. This is a marl-plateau, and it was one the bottom of a tertiary see where fine sand and clay were deposited. You can still find a large collection of seashells in the deposits: mainly old forms of oysters.
- The Flysch area to the east of Methoni
- The Plateau of Paleonero
- There are good bus connections from and to the nearby towns of Methoni,Kalamata and Kiparissia. Connections from these towns can get you further to Patra and Athens
- You can get to Kalamata airport from several European countries.
- The taxi services in Pylos (departing from the taxi rank in the main square) are much used. Don't hesitate to ask the price to get to and from Kalamata or Methoni.
- 50cc scooters are for rent from Martin's shop in Gialova. You will need to get a bus to Gialova from Pylos to reach the shop.
- There is a taxi stand at the main square.
- There is a bus-stop at the main square. From there you get to the main towns around Pylos.
Top 10 things to see in and around Pylos:
- 1 Bay of Voidokilia.
- 2 "New" (Turkish) Castle of Pylos (at the w-part of town).
- 3 "Old" (Frankish-Venetian) Castle of Pylos (Palaiokastro) (on the hill to the north of Sphacteria and south of Voidokilia).
- 4 Lagoon of Gialova. A Natura 2000 site with unique fauna and flora.
- 5 Cave of Nestor (south of bay of Voidokilia). Mentioned in Homer's Odyssey.
- 6 Palace of Nestor (10 km north of Pylos, on the way to Kiparissia).
- The Tholos (beehive). Tombs nearby.
- Harbour of Pylos.
- Sunset over the Bay of Navarino and Sphacteria or at Gargaliani beach.
- Boat tour around the area of Sphacteria. Boattrips are offered in the harbour of Pylos. The boat trips bring you to the lighthouse at the entrance of the bay of Navarino or Sphacteria.
- Olives This is the area for olives and olive-oil.
- Grapes The area is also known for its grapes, used for raisins and wines. You can get local wines in most of the bars, but check out especially the wine-bar ""Number 9" (see Drink).
- Honey Bee-keepers put their beehives on the limestone ridges around Pylos, covered with an abundance of Mediterranean flowers. You will find plenty of signs for honey, put there by the local bee-keepers in the villages around Pylos.
- 1 Souvlista, ☏ +30 2723 023870. A place to go if you're looking for a quick gyro or kebab.
- Poseidonia Restaurant Cafe, Tsamadou 4, ☏ +30 2723 023133. Seafood on the seafront.
- 1 Platanos Cafè (on Three Admirals Square), ☏ +30 2723 022342. Relaxing place where you can take your coffee or grab a bite.
- 2 Desire, ☏ +30 2723 028277. Another little tranquil cafe with various drinks and desserts, not to mention sea views.
- 3 Restaurant Natura (part of Zoe's Resort, in Gialova). Nice lounge/bar fronting beach, and restaurant, too.
- Anna's Apartments, +30 2723 041415.
- 1 Erodios Camping (Gialova Beach), ☏ +30 27230 23269, fax: +30 27230 28240, email@example.com. B Class campsite. Operating period: 15 Apr - 15 Oct.
- 2 Zoe Hotel (Gialova Beach), ☏ +30 27230 22025, fax: +30 27230 22026, firstname.lastname@example.org. 2-star hotel. Operating period: Apr - Oct.
- 3 Castle Hotel, ☏ +30 27230 28292, +30 6947 239383 (Mobile), fax: +30 27230 28293. 2-star hotel apartments. Operating period: All year.
- 4 Ta Adelfia Apartments, 4, Anagnostara Str, ☏ +30 27230 22564, fax: +30 27230 28261, email@example.com. 2-star hotel.
- 5 Philip Hotel, ☏ +30 27230 22741, fax: +30 27230 23261, firstname.lastname@example.org. 2-star hotel.
- 6 Miramare Hotel, ☏ +30 27230 22751, +30 6973 315994 (mobile), fax: +30 27230 22226, email@example.com. 3-star hotel.
- 7 , ☏ +30 27230 96000, +30 27230 95000, fax: +30 27230 95500, firstname.lastname@example.org. 5-star hotel built in 2010.
- 8 , ☏ +30 27230 96000, fax: +30 27230 96500, email@example.com. 5-star hotel built in 2010.
|Routes through Pylos|
|Patra ← Olympia ←||N S||→ Methoni|
|Pylos ←||W E||→ Kalamata → Sparta|