Middletown lies south of Portsmouth, RI and north of Newport, RI. This geographical location is what gave this town its name. Middletown was founded in 1743 when unjust taxation and a growing population caused freeholders in Newport to petition for independence. In 1731, the land that Middletown occupies was set apart and the town began.
Today, Middletown is a small yet bustling community. There are many places to eat and sleep as Middletown provides a port to many tourists to Newport, RI. Middletown has very interesting history including Nicolas Cage's purchase of the "Grey Craig" (a very large home) in August of 2007.
To get into Middletown, or anywhere on Aquidneck Island, you can take one of three bridges: The Newport Bridge (Claiborne Pell Bridge), from Jamestown, Rhode Island, The Sakonnet River Bridge, from Tiverton, Rhode Island, or the Mount Hope Bridge, from Bristol, Rhode Island.
- 1 Newport State Airport (NPT IATA) (Middletown), ☏ . Small and does not offer commercial flights. It does accommodate small private planes and helicopters.
Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) offers (in season) daily trolley/bus service to all major points of interest in Middletown.
- Newport Vineyards, 909 East Main Rd, ☏ . Monday-Saturday from 10AM-5PM and on Sundays from 12-5PM. They have public tours from 1-3PM so it is convenient to stop by after lunch. If you prefer going at a different time you can still visit their wine shop and have a wine tasting. They sample award winning wines and have an amazing selection for the wine connoisseur.
- 1 Norman Bird Sanctuary, 583 3rd Beach Rd, ☏ . Daily 9AM-5PM. A 300 acre sanctuary for deer, fox, over 300 species of birds. Marked nature trails of up to 1.1 mi each (no pets permitted on trails). Lovely coastal views. $4.
- Holiday Cinemas, ☏ . West Main Road. Brand new cinemas - just redone a couple of years ago. Available to host birthday parties for kids - have a small 'game room' in the front entrance. Seats are comfortable and recline - and are also a good size. A great movie theater.
- Sachuest Town Beach, Sachuset Point Rd. Known as Second Beach to locals, this is the largest beach in this area. Here you can find great surf, fine sand, showers, and a concession stand. Seasonal parking passes are available in the beginning of the summer season.
- Third Beach, Third Beach Rd. This beach is known for its calm surf, which is perfect for water sports and small children. There are no public bathrooms or concession stand offered at this beach, but parking is available.
- 2 Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge, 769 Sachuest Point Rd, ☏ . Sunrise to sunset (or after sunset with a night fishing permit); visitor center 10AM - 4PM. A large, 242 acre refuge that is ideal for brisk walks and scenic views. Many, roughly 1.1 mile long trails some follow the shoreline for calming walks. Sachuest is a great area for bird watching. Saltwater fishing allowed with permit.
- Flaherty Charters. Charter a fishing boat.
- Newport National Golf Club, ☏ . 324 Mitchell's Lane. 18 holes, par 72, 7,244 yards, rating: 74.4, slope: 138. Rated #1 in Rhode Island by Golf Digest and GolfWeek.
- Skydive Newport, Newport State Airport, ☏ . Skydive Newport offers exhilarating and breathtaking experiences. With highly trained staff and exceptional safety equipment, Skydive Newport makes sure all experiences are as safe as possible. The jump areas include over the various beaches in Newport as well as Narragansett Bay. Tandem jumps are $210 per person. Photos and videos may also be taken and purchased ($80 per person for photos only, $120 for photo and video).
- Potter’s League for Animals, 87 Olifant Ln, ☏ . 10AM-4PM. a great pet adoption organization. They provide temporary housing for stray cats, dogs, guinea pigs, and rabbits. It is a great place to adopt a new pet.
- Crumb Kruncher's (children’s clothes), 496 East Main Rd, ☏ .
- Deborah Winthrop - Fine Lingerie & Gifts, 510 East Main Rd, ☏ .
- Island Sports (sporting goods), 86 Aquidneck Ave, ☏ .
- Walrus & Carpenter Toy Store, 909 East Main Rd, ☏ .
- A Shade Above, 700 Aquidneck Ave, ☏ .
- Anthony's Seafood & Restaurant, 963 Aquidneck Ave, ☏ .
- Atlantic Beach Club, 53 Purgatory Rd, ☏ .
- Atlantic Grille, 91 Aquidneck Ave, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Hours: Monday - Thursday 6AM - 3PM, Friday 6AM - 8PM, Saturday 6AM - 3PM, Sunday 6AM - 2PM. Great service, a relaxing environment and good food.
- Becky's Real BBQ, 82 East Main Rd, ☏ .
- Custom House Coffee, 796 Aquidneck Ave, ☏ .
- Easton's Point Pub & Restaurant, 116 Aquidneck Ave, ☏ .
- Flo's Clam Shack & Raw Bar, 44 Wave Ave, ☏ . A great place for fish and chips - or any fried sea food (Bar upstairs). Open during the spring - Thursday and Sunday from 11AM - 9PM, and Friday and Saturday from 4PM - 9PM.
- Glass Onion, 909 East Main Rd, ☏ .
- Frosty Freeze, 495 East Main Rd, ☏ . Frosty Freeze is a great place to grab a delicious Ice Cream treat. They are open from 1 April, through 30 September - a schedule they have stayed true to for the last 51 years. They have a wide variety of both soft serve and 'hard' serve ice cream - as well as shakes, sundaes, and anything else you might expect at an ice cream shop. They are located right off of East Main road, and have a small area with picnic tables to sit at. Get there early, because the line usually stretches around the side of the building on a summer night.
- The Dawg House, 687 West Main Rd, ☏ . Amazing spot to grab lunch, or dinner. Not only do they have out-of-this-world hot dogs, but they have a wide variety of other foods as well. There are chicken dishes, sandwiches, soups, etc. - as well as scrumptious deserts - including cannolis and cazzolis! They are reasonably priced, and the service is one of a kind - you feel like a part of their family when there.
- Del's Lemonade of Middletown, 729 West Main Rd. Del's lemonade has been around for some time. While all stores don't carry every flavor, Del's has 'on tap' Lemon, Watermelon, Cherry, Peach/Mango, Blueberry, Light Lemon, Grapefruit and Pomegranate lemonades. This is not regular lemonade, but closer to a 'slushy' - having the flavor mixed in with chopped up ice chunks (and often times pieces of actual lemon). They have trucks and carts that are located all over Aquidneck Island - where you can pick up a lemonade to cool off.
- Fatulli's, 909 East Main Rd. Monday-Saturday from 8AM-5PM. A great place for soups, sandwiches and desserts. Lunch costs less than $10, and they also have a build your own sandwich station.
- Tito's Cantina Mexican Grill, 651 West Main Rd, ☏ . M-F 11AM - 9PM Sat 12PM - 8PM Sun 11AM - 9:30PM. Check out Tito's Tacos for some great tasting Mexican food. This place has a great menu and was recently renovated - now has a bar! As soon as you walk in, you can feel the Mexican vibe - eat delicious chips and salsa while you wait for your food and cool down with a tasty drink of your choice.
- Aquidneck Pizza, 27 Aquidneck Ave. Sun-Thu 7AM-11PM, Fri-Sat 7AM-3AM. Aquidneck Pizza is available for private parties, or is simply open for a meal whenever you need one. Open late - until 3AM on the weekends, and 11PM all weeknights. They also deliver their full menu to all of Newport and Middletown. Some favorites to check out are the buffalo chicken pizzas, curly fries and any kind of sub!
- Coddington Brewing Company, 210 Coddington Highway. A great place for dinner - very upscale, and great food / beer. They make their beer on site, and have a decent sized selection to chose from, something for everyone to like. It is a good spot for family outings, or a night out with the spouse. Highly recommended.
- Batik Garden, 11 East Main Rd, ☏ . Chinese cuisine served buffet style. The food is fairly average with the exception of superb Hot & Sour Soup. All-you-can-eat that is reasonably priced (roughly $12 per person) with a calm atmosphere and polite service. Alcohol is served and there is an accompanying bar.
- Blue Plate Diner, 665 West Main Rd, ☏ . A very popular diner that serves all-American food that is well-prepared and fresh. Serves breakfast, lunch and dinner along with a wide variety of tasty desserts. Prices are average in comparison to other eat-in restaurants. Very friendly atmosphere and retro look.
- [dead link] Ching Tao Restaurant, 268 West Main Rd, ☏ . Ching Tao is home to very fine, authentic Chinese cuisine. The atmosphere is very charming and the service is polite and quick. The portions served are large and satisfying. Deliveries can be made and are free of a delivery fee for purchases of ten dollars or more. Alcohol is also served here.
- Pizza Hollywood, 238 East Main Rd, ☏ . Pizza Hollywood is a local favorite when it comes to pizza places. The pizzas served are well-prepared and very flavor full. The choices of pizza toppings are extensive and the pizzas themselves are priced similar to most mainstream pizza shops (such as Dominoes). Pizza Hollywood does make deliveries.
- Carmella’s Pizzaria, 330 West Main Rd, ☏ . 11AM-10PM. open 7 days a week from 11AM-10PM during regular hours. Winter hours are from Nov – March and the store closes at 9PM Sun-Wed. Accepts online orders.
- Siam Square, 238 E Main Rd, ☏ . 11:30-9:00. Delicious Thai food at reasonable prices. Has all the classic Thai dishes served in a comfortable atmosphere. Closed on Mondays.
- Bay Willows Inn, 1225 Aquidneck Ave (Route 138A), ☏ .
- Best Western Atlantic Beach Hotel, 34 Wave Ave, ☏ , fax: .
- Carriage House Inn, 93 Miantonomi Ave, ☏ .
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 317 West Main Rd, ☏ . (Route 114).
- Howard Johnson Inn, 351 West Main Rd, ☏ . (Route 114).
- Paradise Motel, 459 Aquidneck Ave (Route 138A), ☏ .
- Sandpiper Cottage, 985 East Main Rd, ☏ . (Route 138).
- Sea View Inn, 240 Aquidneck Ave (Route 138A), ☏ .
- Sea Whale Motel, 150 Aquidneck Ave (Route 138A), ☏ .
- Residence Inn by Marriott, 325 West Main Rd, ☏ . All-suite hotel, 2 miles from downtown Newport, offers separate areas for sleeping, living, eating, and a fully equipped kitchen. Indoor swimming pool & whirlpool. Free hot breakfast buffet daily, social events M-Th, beer and wine bar, summer barbeques, and free internet.
|Routes through Middletown|
|Providence ← Portsmouth ←||N S||→ END|
|Fall River ← Portsmouth ←||N S||→ Newport → Voluntown|