Mirissa is in southern Sri Lanka.
Mirissa is a beautiful little village with a nice beach and two surfing points: one for advanced surfers, and one for intermediate ones.
Take an AC highway bus heading to Matara from Fort in Colombo which costs Rs 510 (2-2½ hr). From Matara bus terminal there are regular busses to Weligama or Galle stopping in Mirissa (20-30 min). There are two bus stops: if you have booked an accommodation on the beach you can get off at the first one (rights after the road comes close to the shore and you see the bay); if you stay around the harbour you can take the stop 1 km up the road.
You can take the train from Colombo Fort to Weligama (7 km from Mirissa) and then go by tuk tuk to Mirissa. A 2nd class train ticket costs Rs 220. The train schedule is available here. Trips take between 2½ and 3½ hours (depending on the train).
Mirissa is a small village, you can basically get everywhere on foot or if you are travelling to another beach, by the local bus service which is very regular and inexpensive. Be warned, the local tuk tuk owners are renowned for attempting to overcharge you. Scooters are becoming more common to rent at most guesthouses. Finding a bicycle to rent is difficult, and the quality is often very poor.
- Buddhist temple.
- Fisherman harbour.
- Snorkelling at Turtle Bay. A sheltered spot suitable for swimming and snorkeling. Very damaged coral but plenty of fish and the odd turtle.
- Ayurvedic treatments.
- Yoga at Shady Lane with free drinking water refills.
Blue whales have been spotted at Mirissa which has made it a tourist attraction. If you do decide to go whale watching please make it very clear to your guide/boat driver that you do not want to scare the whales by getting too close. Some of the guides are quite aggressive and it may cause the whales to go elsewhere.
- Raja & The Whales, Mirissa Harbour, ☏ . Great company, which provides sustainable whale watching in Mirissa.
- Mirissa Water Sports, Harbour road, Mirissa, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The pioneers of whale watching in Sri Lanka and employs youth people who were affected by the tsunami in 2004.
- [dead link] Mirissa Moorings, Harbour road, Mirissa, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mirissa Moorings is the premiere boat charter mooring facilities and services in Mirissa offering sailing trips on 6.5-m MiniBee boats (manufactured in Sri Lanka) to local and foreign tourists. You can rent boats with or without a skipper if you have a valid/international sail license.
The ATM at Peoples Bank allows a maximum withdrawal of 100,000LKR with no charge. For added safety, go during bank opening hours.
Many different restaurants on the beach. Cheaper but still very tasty options are the Roti shops more inland.
- Dewmini Roti Shop, ☏ . 7AM-10PM. Very nice, quiet place to have a drink or taste the delicious fresh rotis. Little inland (follow small road next to internet place on the main street and look out for the signposting).
There are bars around the beach that have long happy hours when a large Lion beer is priced as low as 250 LKR.
There is accommodation available for each type of traveller. You can find budget places starting from Rs 1,000 in off season and Rs 1,500 in season.
- 1 Hostel First Mirissa Beach, Hostel First Mirissa Beach, Beach Side Road (100 m from the beach. If you come by bus from Colombo to Matara, ask the driver to let you off near Beachside Road in Mirissa. Follow the main road until you see Beachside Road and an ATM on the left side (there are 2 ATMs in Mirissa). Then walk along Beachside Road and you will soon see the hostel on your left hand side.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. They offer free WiFi. Dorm US $10, private rooms $30.
- Villa Sea View. Very nice place run by a local family. Claims to provide the best view in Mirissa. Rooms starting from about Rs 1,000 off season. 3 minutes off the beach and surf point (very right side on the beach when you watch the sea - up the hill).
- 2 Peacock Villa, Peacock Villa, Udupila Road (off Udupila junction at Galle Road), Udupila, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Peacock Villa is surrounded by large vegetable gardens with peacocks. It's far from the hustle and bustle and a 5-minute walk to the beach. $49-$70.
- Club Mirissa. This guest house is a few streets walk from the beach but is often double booked so if you do decide to stay here, recommend that you do not pay the full amount and only place a small deposit (that you are happy to lose) to attempt to secure the room. Many travelers have complained that they are refused the room and never get their money back. Rooms are US$70/night or Rs 9000.
- 3 Sri Sharavi Beach Villas & Spa, 153 Km Post, Ruhunupura, Thalaramba, Kamburugamuwa, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 2pm, check-out: 12pm. A boutique hotel in the Mirissa beachfront. The hotel consists of standard rooms, suites and villas. It also offers dining and spa facilities. $150.