Monte Cristi, the capital of the eponymous DR province, was founded in 1606 by Nicholas de Ovando and originally largely settled by individuals brought over from the Canary Islands. It was sacked for dealing with pirates, but came back to flourish as a port town in the 17th and 18th centuries. It is here where Máximo Gómez and José Martí sailed to Cuba to facilitate its independence circa 1895.
Route 1 and Route 45 go to the city.
- 1 Emilia Villa Courthouse (intersection of Autopista Duarte and Frederico de Jesus Garcia). 8AM–6PM. Mansion belonging to a town entrepreneur who specialized in tree exports from beginning of 20th century era that has not weathered the passage of time very well. Also catty-corner (to the southwest), you'll be able to notice the town's clock tower made of steel-type trusses.
- 2 House Museum Of Máximo Gómez, Mella St. 08:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:00 daily. Formerly the home of 19th century Dominican Republic General Máximo Gómez, this museum focuses on how both he and his Cuban counterpart José Martín helped Cuba to attain independence, most poignantly perhaps by pointing out that this is where they signed the Montecristi Manifesto in 1895 laying out said independence.
- 3 Muelle De Montecristi. Charming pier with a palapa at the end, gives you the feeling of being one with the sea.
- 1 Parque Nacional El Morro (El Morro National Park), ☏ . 06ː00-18ː00 daily. Dry peninsular headland where you can hike to the summit for great vantage points of the Caribbean and Hispaniola, enjoy the (bit rocky and wild at times) beaches, and swing in one of these well-known swings (Sendero de las Cruces) overlooking the sea.
- 2 Isla Cabra. Secluded beaches, abandoned lighthouse, uninhabited island that is part of the national park. You can get here using a tour operator such as Soraya y Leonardo tours (+1 809 961 6343) at the marina in Monte Cristi.
- 3 Sendero de Las Cruces. approximate location of the notable swing.
- 4 Playa Juan de Bolaños. General beach for hanging out.
- Lilo, ☏ . 8AM–10PM daily.
- 1 El Cayito Beach Resort, Costa Verde, ☏ . $47.
- 2 Hotel Marbella (coastline; northwest from the town of Monte Cristi), ☏ . about $50.
- 3 Hotel Santa Clara, Calle Mayobanex #8, ☏ . Quaint, urban lodging with breakfast and wifi. RD$2108.
- 4 Hotel Don Gaspar, Calle Presidente Jimanez, ☏ . Restaurant/bar, free breakfast, wifi, a/c. It has quite the concrete block look on the outside but is pretty spacious inside. RD$2108.
- 5 Sunset Villa, ☏ . Pool and hotel overlook Caribbean in natural setting of national park, wifi, a/c, kitchen access, patio dining area.