Monteagle is located just off I-24. Its main avenue is formed by Tennessee Highway 49. It is also accessible by small airplane through the nearby Sewanee airstrip.
As a small town, Monteagle has no public transit. Though it has a few walkable areas, a car is the only practical way to get around.
Most people come to Monteagle for the scenic beauty nearby. There is an abundance of campsites and summer-rental areas within a few minutes' drive.
Chances are that if you come to Monteagle, you already know what you will be doing there. Camping and hiking are a good option as long as the weather cooperates.
There are quite a few souvenir and clothing stores along Highway 49.
- High Point, 224 E Main St, ☏ . Romantic and high-quality. The prices are slightly steep, but a very nice place to eat if you are looking for a higher-end meal.
- Papa Ron's Pizza, 402 W Main St, ☏ . Solid, affordable pizza menu. A local favorite for its specialty pizzas and good chicken wings.
- Mi Casa, 1236 W Main St, ☏ . The best Mexican food in the world, and as good as anything you'll get in Monteagle. Reasonably authentic and fun, this is a good place to get a margarita.
- Smokin' B's BBQ & Deli, 412 Dixie Lee Ave, ☏ . A great place to pick up homemade southern-style barbecue. Small and family-owned.
There are also a variety of chain restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the I-24 exit.
- Depot Deli, Monteagle, TN 37356-3018, ☏ . great subs, especially the chipolte philly cheese steak $10.
There are several bars in Monteagle, such as the popular Moonshine Maggie's Saloon.
Hotels can be found around the interstate exits. There are camping areas and cabins advertised along the nearby roads; give some thought to sleeping under the stars.
Be forewarned that advance reservations are necessary on holidays, or when a University event is going on. It is nearly impossible to find rooms during graduation and homecoming weekends without reservations well in advance.
- Best Western Smokehouse Lodge, 850 W Main St, ☏ . Large and comfortable. Offers cabin rentals in the wooded area behind the main building. Recommended.
- Edgeworth Inn, 23 Reppard Ave, ☏ .
- Monteagle Inn, 204 W Main St, ☏ .
- American Eagle Inn, 509 W Main St, ☏ .
- Boxwood Cottage Rental, 46 S Central Ave, ☏ .
- Days Inn, 742 Dixie Lee Ave, ☏ . Not particularly well-maintained, but it offers low rates compared to many other hotels in the area.
- Regency Inn, 713 W Main St, ☏ .
- Best Western Inn, 850 W Main St, ☏ .
- [dead link] Red Oak Hollow, 309 Snake Pond Rd, Sewanne, ☏ . Red Oak Hollow is just down Highway 41A towards Sewanee. Guest Suite (sleeps two) and Cottage (sleeps four) are available for weekend or weekly rental, on 30 acres of trails, ponds and gardens. Come up to the mountain and see why a weekend here is better than a year in town.
- Monteagle Pediatrics, 25 Spring Street (behind CVS Pharmacy). (931) 924-7000. Monteagle Pediatrics provides well and sick care for infants, children, and adolescents. Open Monday through Friday and Saturday mornings.
Monteagle has immediate access to I-24 for trips to either Nashville or Chattanooga. You might also consider following Hwy 41, which has many excellent views of the rural area nearby. Traveling west on 41 will take you to Sewanee; traveling east will take you to Tracy City.
|Routes through Monteagle|
|Nashville ← Manchester ←||W E||→ Wildwood → Chattanooga|
|Nashville ← Manchester ←||N S||→ Tracy City → Chattanooga|
|Nashville ← Sewanee ←||W E||→ END|
|Memphis ← Winchester ←||W E||→ Chattanooga → Hendersonville|