Nearby Lake Cumberland is one of the largest man made lakes east of the Mississippi River in the United States. As a lakeside community, Monticello's economy is mostly based on lake tourism. Three houseboat manufacturers are based in the city and have given rise to the motto "Houseboat capital of the world."
Several local marinas provide access from Lake Cumberland.
- 1 Beaver Creek Resort Marina, 8929 W Hwy 92, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. A full service marina featuring boat rentals and a swimming area.
- 2 Conley Bottom Resort, 736 Hwy. 1275 N., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A privately owned resort featuring a full service marina, houseboat and cabin rental, a campground and a restaurant.
- 1 Mill Springs Mill, 9135 Hwy 1275 N., ☎ . A restored grist mill featuring a 40 foot overshot water wheel. It is believed to be the largest operating water wheel in the world. The mill was restored and is currently operated by the US Army Corps of Engineers as a day use recreation area on the shore of Lake Cumberland. Besides the mill, there is a gift shop and picnic area. The recreation area can be accessed from the lake via boat slips as well as by car. The operating season is May through September.
Lake Cumberland is known for it's Striped Bass fishing and there are local guide services available.
- 2 [dead link] Lake Cumberland Winery, 122 Cedar Lane Farm, ☎ . Thursday-Saturday 11AM-6PM. A winery located on the shore of Lake Cumberland that offers tours, wine tastings, and wine sales.
- 1 The Quilt Shoppe, 24 N. Main St., ☎ . A quilt shop operated by the Contented Heart Quilt Guild and featuring quilts made by members and local artisans.
- 1 Black Stallion Steakhouse, 1215 N Main St., ☎ .
- 2 Family Diner, 576 Hwy. 3106, ☎ . Buffet style home cooking.
Monticello and Wayne County are dry, meaning no alcohol sales are allowed. There is one exception, wine sales and consumption are allowed at Lake Cumberland Winery. The nearest location that allows alcohol sales is Somerset.
Bed & Breakfast
- 1 [dead link] Raven's Nest Bed & Breakfast, 364 Eagle Creek Dr., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- 2 Camplins Cumberland Retreat, 44 Camplin Dr., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. One and two bedroom cabins overlooking Lake Cumberland.
- 3 Conley Bottom Resort, 736 Hwy. 1275 N., ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. A privately owned resort featuring a full service marina, houseboat and cabin rental, a campground and a restaurant.
- 4 Golden Pond Resort, 56 Golden Pond Rd., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A resort located on Lake Cumberland that offers 2-5 bedroom cabins for rent. There is a 2 night minimum stay.
- 5 Fall Creek Campground, 1144 New Fall Creek Rd., ☎ . A campground located on the shore of Lake Cumberland that is operated by the US Army Corps of Engineers. The property offers 10 sites with electric hookups. Amenities include a shower house, boat ramp, and a playground. The campground is open May through September.