Verdun is a borough in the south of Montreal, bordered by the South-West borough to the north, LaSalle to the south and the west and by the St-Lawrence river to the east. The borough of Verdun also includes Nun's Island, which is an affluent residential neighborhood, and is quite different from what is normally considered as Verdun. The main commercial streets in Verdun are Wellington and De L'Église.
Verdun is not a neighborhood that is often frequented by travelers. However, the adventurous tourist who seeks an off-the-beaten-track destination will find peaceful streets with typical red brick triplexes, a lively main street, beautiful views of the river and restaurants well worth the detour.
The green line of the Metro has a few stations in Verdun: Lasalle, De l'Église, Verdun and Jolicoeur. These stations are about 10-20 minutes from downtown.
Verdun also has a few Bixi (bike-share) stations and bicycle lanes.
Highway 15 borders the northern part of Verdun and nearby exits are 60 (rue Wellington), 61 (rue Atwater) and 62 (boul. de la Vérendrye).
- 1 Maison Nivard-De Saint-Dizier, 7244 boulevard LaSalle, ☏ . A 300 year-old house, right next to the river, with a museum open from May to October. It is the most extensive prehistoric archeological site on the Island of Montreal. Free.
- Cycle or walk along the river. A wonderful cycle path stretches along the Saint Lawrence river, offering good views and picnic spots. Free.
- Swim in the river. Two small piers are accessible for people who want to take a dip in the Saint Lawrence river.
- 1 Dance lessons near the river, 7000 boulevard LaSalle. May to August. During the summer, drop in the municipal greenhouse any evening for salsa, tango, country or line dancing. Check website for hours and details. Free.
- 2 Verdun circus school, 5190 Boulevard LaSalle, Verdun, QC H4H 1N8, ☏ . Verdun circus school is a venue for circus shows. See website for a schedule to see a circus show.
- 3 The Natatorium, 6500 boulevard LaSalle, ☏ . Swim at the Natatorium which is a huge outdoor swimming pool. 2.25$ adult / 1.25$ child.
- 4 Bleu Blanc Rouge skating rink, 800, rue Willibrord, ☏ . 9:00 to 22:00. This refrigerated rink is a donation from the Montreal Canadiens children's foundation, and is normally open longer than regular rinks in Montreal. Call before going to be sure it's open.
- 5 Strøm Spa Nordique, 1001 Boulevard de la Forêt, H3E 1X9. One of the best spas in the city, this place has a beautiful location next to the lac des battures on Nun's Island. There is no nearby public transportation, unfortunately.
The main commercial streets are Wellington and De L'Église and features a mix of independent stores and chains, restaurants and services. A comprehensive listing of shop on Wellington can be found on their website. Specialty stores include:
- 1 La Mistinguette, 4537 rue Wellington. Eco-clothing and jewelry from local designers.
- 2 La Tienda, d'ici à Compostelle, 4329 rue Wellington. Hiking gear with an emphasis on the Compostelle trail.
- Jeux Face à Face, 4425 rue Wellington. Board games and Magic cards. Hosting Magic tournaments.
- 3 Métro Bellemare, 349 avenue de l'Église. This chain super-market actually boasts an impressive offering of tens of different micro-brewed beers sold by the bottle.
- 4 Maltéhops, 4817 Wellington Street, Verdun, QC H4G 1X5, ☏ . Specialized beer store with a wide variety of Quebec microbrews.
Wellington street boasts a variety of restaurants and cafés, from fast food to very fancy fare. Here are some that might be worth a detour.
- Les îles en ville, 5335 rue Wellington. This restaurant offers specialties from the îles-de-la-Madeleine, mostly seafood and cured seal ("loup marin" on the menu).
- 1 Blackstrap BBQ, 4436 rue Wellington. An excellent BBQ joint serving meats slowly smoked for 16 hours. Specialties : ribs, brisket, chicken. A sampling platter (36$+tax) is big enough to feed 2 to 3 people. Their "burnt-end poutine" is a very nice twist on the classic poutine with their signature BBQ meat in it. They also serve local beers.
- [dead link] Aka Fuji, 3872 rue Wellington. Tuesday to Sunday 5pm to 9pm. A well-kept secret, this wonderful tiny Japanese restaurant specializes in sushi. They are excellent, but are cheaper than the ones you can find downtown. Also try the agedashi tofu.
- 2 Pierrette patate, 3900 rue de Verdun. A classical greasy spoon, some say they make the best poutine in town.
- 3 Su, 5145 rue Wellington. Fine Turkish cuisine and good wine selection.
In Verdun, bars were forbidden for over 100 years under local regulation. Many establishments circumvented this rule by requiring patrons to buy food before ordering drinks. A special exception was made for the Benelux Microbrewery that opened in May 2013, and more recently Bar Palco that opened in December 2015.
- 1 Benelux, 4026 rue Wellington (metro Lasalle or metro de L'église), ☏ . Benelux serves beer brewed on the premises. Fantastic terrace at the back, with a big tree and a camp fire at night. 6$ for a pint.
- 2 Bar Palco, 4019 Wellington St, Verdun, QC H4G 1V6, ☏ .
Verdun does not have any hotels. One may find a few guest houses or apartments dotted around the city through booking websites. For a visitor, the closer to the river the better.
- 1 [dead link] Le Terra Nostra B&B, 277, rue Beatty, Montréal Québec, H4H 1X7, ☏ . Bed & breakfast just a stone's throw from the St-Lawrence river.
- 1 Verdun Public Library, 5955 rue Bannantyne, H4H 1H6, ☏ . This library first opened its doors in 1944, and often features small exhibits from local artists in the front lobby.
- If the weather permits it, biking is the way to go. Lasalle, Lachine and Dorval are all accessible via the bike path along the river.
- The Parc des Rapides in Lasalle is one of Montreal's best kept secrets, with impressive views of the Lachine rapids and interesting wildlife viewing.
- Angrignon park in the nearby South-West borough is one of Montreal's largest parks with total area of 97 hectares. Cross-country skiing can be practiced in the winter.
|Routes through Verdun|
|END ← Ville-Émard ←||W E||→ South West → Downtown|