Westmount is a very affluent anglophone community on the island of Montreal, just west of Downtown. Further west is Notre-Dame-de-Grâce (commonly abbreviated NDG), a working-to-middle class district that is also mostly anglophone, and in the process of gentrification.
The Atwater station on the Green Line lies on the border between Westmount and the Shaughnessy Village section of Montreal. This is a good stop for the commercial district along rue Saint-Catherine in eastern Westmount, including the Place Alexis Nihon shopping centre. The Orange Line runs through the eastern part of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, with stops at Vendôme and Villa-Maria.
Upper Westmount has a huge array of expensive estates and interesting modern architecture that's worth seeing if you are in the area.
- 1 Concordia University - Loyola Campus, 7141 rue Sherbrooke ouest (between ave Belmore and rue West Broadway; bus 105 or 162, AMT Montreal-Ouest). Concordia's western campus dating from 1916, which started out as Loyola College before merging with Sir George Williams University in 1974 to form Concordia University.
- 2 Westmount Square, rue Sainte-Catherine ouest at ave Wood (metro Atwater, bus 63 or 90). A four building complex composed of black metal and glass, built in 1967 and designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.
Swimming at the Westmount sports centre. Walking in Westmount park Botanical greenhouse next to library
- 1 Maison de la culture Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, 3755 rue Botrel (at ch Cote-Saint-Antoine; metro Villa-Maria, bus 17, 24, 63, 102, or 138), ☎ . Tu-W 1PM-7PM, Th-F 1PM-6PM, Sa-Su 1PM-5PM.
Westmount, given it's upscale nature, has a large selection of boutiques to frequent.
- 1 Encore Books and Records (Encore Livres et Disques), 5670 rue Sherbrooke ouest (at ave Harvard; bus 105), ☎ . Sa-W 11AM-7PM, Th-F 11AM-9PM. Used bookstore and record store. They carry books in both English and French, although the English selection is a bit larger.
- 1 Chez Nick, 1377 ave Greene (at rue Sherbrooke; metro Atwater, bus 24, 104, or 138), ☎ . M-F 7AM-8PM, Sa 7AM-7PM, Su 8AM-6PM. A Montreal institution since 1920. Stop by for a hamburger, chili, or tuna melt.
- 2 Bistro on the Avenue, 1362 ave Greene (between rue Sherbrooke and boul de Maisonneuve; metro Atwater, bus 24, 104, or 138), ☎ . Su-Tu 11:30AM-10PM, W-Sa 11:30AM-10:30PM.
- 3 La Louisiane, 5850 rue Sherbrooke ouest (at ave Regent; bus 105 or 138), ☎ . Su,Tu-Th 5:30PM-10:30PM, F-Sa 5:30PM-11PM. Cajun and creole cuisine.
- Ristorante Maestro, 6136 ch de la Côte-Saint-Luc (between ave Beaconsfield and ave Hingston; bus 51, 66, or 103), ☎ . Kosher.
- 4 Yakimono Sushi Bar, 4210 boulevard Décarie (at ave Brodeur; metro Villa-Maria, bus 24, 103, or 162), ☎ . M-Th noon-3PM and 5PM-11PM, Sa 1 hr after Shabbat-1:30AM. Kosher sushi restaurant. Takeout and delivery available.
Westmount is conspicuously lacking in bars, due to the older crowd. The streets are quiet at night.
- 1 Nextdoor Pub (Le Nextdoor), 5175 rue Sherbrooke ouest (at ave de Marlowe; metro Vendôme; bus 17, 24, 63, 90, 102, 104, 105, 124, or 138), ☎ . 4:30PM-3AM daily.
- 2 Liquid Lounge, 5028 rue Sherbrooke ouest (between ave Grey and ave Claremont; metro Vendôme; bus 17, 24, 63, 90, 102, 104, 105, 124, or 138), ☎ .
- 3 Typhoon Lounge, 5752 ave de Monkland (at ave Wilson; metro Villa-Maria, bus 103 or 162), ☎ . M-Sa 4PM-3AM, Su noon-3AM.
|Routes through Westmount–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce|
|Verdun ← South West ←||W E||→ Downtown → East End|
|Saint-Laurent ← Côte-des-Neiges ←||N S||→ South West → Downtown|
|Candiac ← Saint-Constant ←||S E||→ Downtown → END|
|Saint-Jérôme ← North Island ←||N S||→ Downtown → END|
|Hudson ← West Island ←||W E||→ Downtown → END|