The town is very popular with foreign visitors and retirees, and its population balloons in the summer. However, unlike other Costa Blanca settlements – most notably Benidorm – the community has not been marred by high rises and overdevelopment, and steps have been taken to protect the area's native pine groves.
Moraira began as a quiet fishing village, and together with nearby Teulada it is often referred to as Teulada-Moraira.
- 1 Oficina de Turismo (Tourist Information), Avinguda de Madrid, 15 (Edificio Espai La Senieta), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 10:00-13:30 17:00-19:30.
From Calp, Autobuses Ifach (☏ ) runs the L3 bus twice daily, stopping at the 1 bus stop on Avinguda de Madrid, a short distance from the tourist information office. From Calp the trip takes just under 20 minutes; a timetable can be viewed and downloaded here.
- 2 Estación del TRAM (Tram Station), Camí de la Estació (Teulada), ☏ . Tram Alicante (el Trenet) operates a light rail train connecting all major settlements along the coast between Dénia and Alicante, with the exceptions of Moraira and Xábia; the nearest tram station is in the neighbouring municipality of Teulada. To reach Moraira from this point travelers will need to hire a taxi or have a car available. For those arriving from Alicante, a changeover in Benidorm to L9 (line 9) is required. For travelers with smartphones, there is a helpful official app (iPhone and Android) with a route planner and timetables. Guide dogs and small pets in carriers are permitted.
There is no public transportation service in Moraira. There is a 3 taxi stand (☏ ) on Avinguda de Madrid, and the tourist information office maintains an online list of local car and motorbike rental agencies.
- 1 Castell de Moraira (Castillo de Moraira / Moraira Castle). The fortress was built in the mid 18th-century as part of a coastal network defensive system against Barbary pirates. The structure was restored in the 1980s.
- 2 Torre del Cap d'Or (Torre del Cap d'Or / Cap d'Or Tower). The circular 16th-century watchtower was built to defend the coast from pirates, and has some great views of the surrounding area. It was fully restored in 1980.
- 1 Platja de l'Ampolla (Playa de la Ampolla) (by the castle). The blue-flag beach is the most urban and popular in the area. Services here include lifeguard stations, toilets and showers, lounger and umbrella rentals, watersport facilities, disabled access, and restaurants.
- 2 Platja de les Platgetes (Playa de les Playetes). Two adjoined smaller urban beaches, also blue-flag. Has a boat ramp, lifeguard stations, toilets and showers, rental facilities for loungers and umbrellas, and a promenade.
- 3 Platja del Portet (Playa del Portet). The blue-flag sandy beach is good for swimming as well as kayaking, and the footpath to the Torre del Cap d'Or begins here. Services in the summer include lifeguard station, toilets, showers, boat rental facility, and nearby restaurants.
- 4 Cala de l'Andragó (Cala L’Andragó). A quiet, rocky cove popular for diving, snorkeling, and fishing. Has a lifeguard station and nearby restaurants.
- 5 Auditori de Teulada-Moraira, Carrer d'Orba, 2 (Teulada), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Box office: W-Sa 11:00-13:00 18:00-20:00, Su 2 hrs before performance. The striking building was designed by Spanish architect Francisco Mangado Beloqui, and completed in 2011. It is a venue for classical music, musicals, and dance performances. Tickets can be purchased online, at the 2 Teulada Ayuntamiento (Teulada City Hall) (M-F 08:30-15:00), and at the tourist information office.
- 1 Mercado de Artesanía (handcrafts market), Avinguda de la Paz, s/n. Daily 18:00-24:00. An outdoor market featuring local handcrafts and souvenirs.
- 2 Mercadillo de Moraira (Moraira street market), Ctra Moraira-Calpe. F mornings. A good place to pick up local produce as well as other odds and ends.
- 3 Mercadillo de Teulada (Teulada street market), Carrer d'Alacant. W mornings. Another weekly street market, good for food and other supplies.
- 4 Rastro de Teulada (Teulada flea market), Ctra CV740. Su mornings. A market for second-hand items and antiques.
- 5 Rastro de Jalón (Jalón flea market), Paraje del Azud. Sa 08:00-13:30. Another second-hand market.
Given Moraira's history as a fishing village, the local cuisine mostly focuses on seafood, with arròs a banda (Spanish: arroz a banda) and paella marinera (paella de marisco) being favourite dishes.
- 1 Restaurante Antoniet, Avinguda de la Paz, 18, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. W-Tu 13:00-16:00 19:30-23:00. Since 1957 the restaurant has served traditional Valencian rice-based dishes, with a focus on seafood.
- 2 Restaurante Ca Pepe, Carrer Haya, 51, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. W-Sa 12:30-14:30 18:30-22:00, Su 12:30-16:00. The highly-regarded, family-run restaurant serves creative meals. Reservations can be made online. Mains €19-24.
- 3 Restaurante Montevideo, Ctra Cumbres del Sol, 85 (Benitachell), ☏ . Tu-Su 11:00-24:00. A favorite for meat.
- 4 [formerly dead link] Pepe la Sal Moraira, Carrer les Vinyes (Edificio Ribeiro), ☏ . M-Sa 09:00-21:00, Su 09:00-13:30. Moraira's largest supermarket, has a butcher and delicatessen and offers home delivery [formerly dead link].
- 5 [formerly dead link] Pepe la Sal Moraira-Teulada, Ctra Moraira-Teulada, km .5 (Centro Comercial Barclays), ☏ . M-Sa 08:30-21:00. Has a butcher and delicatessen and offers home delivery [formerly dead link].
- 6 Supercor Expres, Ctra Moraira a Calpe, 1, ☏ . Daily 08:00-02:00. More of a convenience store, the shop has correspondingly higher prices.
- 7 Supermercado Masymas, Plaça Paichi, s/n, ☏ . M-Sa 09:00-21:30. Has a full butcher and cheese counter.
The Alicante wine-growing region is designated as a Spanish Denominación de Origen. The area near Moraira and Teulada is known especially for Moscatel Alicante, a pale white wine, and for mistela, a sweet dessert wine, both made from Muscat grapes.
- 1 La Cooperativa Agrícola Sant Vicent Ferrer (Bodega Teulada), Avinguda de las Palmas, 32 (near the tram station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 09:30-13:30 16:00-20:00, F 09:30-13:30 16:00-19:00, Sa 09:30-13:30. The cooperative represents over 100 small producers, and sells a range of muscatel, mistela, vermouth, and other red wines. It also offers guided winery tours and wine tastings on M W F at 10:00 and 18:00, and Sa at 10:00; reservations required. €12 (wine tours and tastings).
There is a large number of holiday apartments and villas available to rent.
- 1 Camping Moraira, Camino del Paellero, 50, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Can accommodate tents and caravans, and has bungalows. Facilities include a pool and restaurant. Pets accepted.
- 2 Boutique Hotel La Sort, Avinguda de la Paz, 24, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00-24:00, check-out: 05:00-12:00. The small beach-side hotel has a number of rooms with sea views. Facilities include free Wi-Fi, nonsmoking rooms, and a highly-regarded onsite restaurant which can accommodate special diets on request. All rooms have coffee machines and free beach towels, and bike rental service is available. Doubles €124+, including breakfast.
- 3 Hotel Los Limoneros, Carrer de Mar Norte, 20, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 13:00-23:00, check-out: 08:00-11:00. Facilities include nonsmoking rooms, pool, snack bar and garden; all rooms have a small kitchenette. Free Wi-Fi and free parking. Doubles from €121, including breakfast.
- 4 Swiss Hotel Moraira, Carrer Haya, 175, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00-24:00, check-out: 07:00-12:00. Has an onsite restaurant, nonsmoking rooms, pool, spa, free Wi-Fi and free parking. Pets permitted on request. Doubles from €135, including breakfast.