The area of South-West Munich consists of the residential districts of Sendling, Hadern, Laim, and Forstenried-Fürstenried in Munich's south, the mixed residential and industrial neighborhoods of Pasing-Obermenzing and Allach-Untermenzing in the west, and the scarcely populated area of Aubing-Lochhausen-Langwied in the far west. The area's main attractions are the Flaucher islands in the river Isar, the Munich Zoo and Blutenburg castle.
All autobahns coming from the west and south-west go through and end in the area. The A 8, coming from Stuttgart, end close to Blutenburg castle. The A 96 coming from Lindau at Lake Constance, and Austria doubles as a local road between the Großhadern hospital and Westpark. The A 95 from Garmisch-Partenkirchen comes from the south and ends next to Waldfriedhof.
By suburban train (S-Bahn)
Because of the area's big north-south extend, actually all S-Bahn lines in western direction go through or along the area at some point. Almost all S-Bahn lines run together along the main artery to München-Laim station in Laim, where they split up into two northern, three western and one south-western line. Only the S7 goes directly south after Central Station.
- S-Bahn line S2 runs from Laim in northern direction through the Allach-Obermenzing neighbourhood to Dachau and Petershausen, with stops at Obermenzing, Untermenzing, and Allach.
- S-Bahn lines S3, S4, S6, and S8 run together to Pasing station (also a hub for regional and long distance trains), where the S3 branches off to the north-west, the S4 and S8 to the west, and the S6 to the south-west.
- S-Bahn line S7 is exceptional in that regard as it does not go to Laim station but directly south from Munich Central Station, with stops at Heimeranplatz, Harras, Mittersendling, and Großhesselohe Isartalbahnhof.
- S-Bahn line S20 is Munich's only suburban train line that does not call at Munich Central station. Instead, it runs from Pasing directly south with stops at Heimeranplatz, Harras, Mittersendling, and Großhesselohe Isartalbahnhof.
By subway (U-Bahn)
- Subway line Olympic Park is the main mean of transportation for the southern part of the area and the neighbourhoods along the river Isar. It stops at Thalkirchen (Tierpark) as well as other stations in the area. , coming from the city center and the
- Subway lines and , coming from the city center, run parallel to the S-Bahn artery, serving the northern center of the area with stops at Heimeranplatz, Westendstraße, and Laimer Platz.
- Subway line Maxvorstadt, and areas further north, serves the south-west of the area with stops at Harras, Westpark, Holzapfelkreuth, and Klinikum Großhadern. , coming from the city center,
Only tram lines 18 and 19 run through the area. Both run together from Munich Central Station South to Lautensackstraße.
- Tram line 18 branches off at Lautensackstraße to the south, with stops at Westendstraße, Stegener Weg, to Gondrellplatz.
- Tram line 19 runs from Lautensackstraße straight to the west to Pasing station.
The district area is large and beside the MVV public transport system, cars are pretty popular. During the rush hour streets are congested and parking in the night can be difficult. Nevertheless the car is the means of transportation of choice for many people. Everything into the city is faster by public transport.
- 1 Blutenburg Castle (Schloss Blutenburg), Seldweg 15 (S-Bahn S2: München-Obermenzing), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Apr-Sep 09:00-17:00, Oct-Mar 10:00-16:00. Blutenburg Castle is an old ducal country seat. It was built 1438-39 as a hunting lodge for Albert III, Duke of Bavaria. 1488 a chapel was added, which is a splendid masterpiece of late Gothic style. free.
- 2 Flaucher Isar beaches and islands (Flaucher) (U-Bahn U3: Thalkirchen (Tierpark)). The banks of and islands in the Isar at Flaucher are the second most important place (after the English Garden) to relax outside during summertime. Being located outside of Mittlerer Ring urban express-way, it is allowed to barbecue here. On warm summer evenings the beaches are swarming with people drinking beer and enjoying life. If you want to buy food and beer, there is a EDEKA supermarket right next to the subway station. You can also get disposable barbecues (,,Einweggrill") there. During daytime, sunbathers occupy the beaches - and you should be comfortable with nudity.
- 3 Tierpark Hellabrunn (Munich Zoo), Tierparkstraße 30 (U3 Thalkirchen (Tiergarten) or Bus 52). 09:00 – 18:00. Founded in 1911 and built to present animals in their habitat. Today very popular with schools and families. No credit cards accepted. 14€ adult, kids (4-14 yrs) 5€, below 4 yrs free; special discounts for families.
- 4 Waldfriedhof cemetery, Fürstenrieder Straße 288 (U-Bahn U6: Holzapfelkreuth). Nov-Feb 8:00-17:00, Mar 8:00-18:00, Apr-Aug 8:00-20:00, Sep-Oct 8:00-19:00. Waldfriedhof is Munich's largest cemetery and a beautiful park. Especially the newer southern part of this woodland cemetery has some impressive architecture scattered in a landscpade park.
- 5 Westpark (U-Bahn U6: Westpark). The park was designed for the International Garden Festival 1983. With its landscaped hills, valleys, lakes, and streams, it imitates the pre-alpine lands just south of Munich. The lake stage in the park is regularly used for concerts and for an open-air cinema. The park als has several theme gardens such as a rose garden, a Japanese Garden, a Chinese garden and a Nepalese Pagoda.
- 1 Climbing and bouldering center, Thalkirchner Straße 207 (U-Bahn U3: Thalkirchen (Tierpark)), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 7:00-23:00, Sa-Su 8:00-23:00. If you want to test your climbing skills before you head south into the Alps for the real deal, you can do it indoors in this facility. The climbing center is the biggest in the world and is owned by the German Alpine Club. Adults €13, Concessions €10.
- Jogging/Walking. There are some particularly recommendable routes to go jogging in Thalkirchen , for example the
- 2 Zoo & Golf Club turn. Start at either place and run along the Isarwerkkanal & Flossländle around both places.
- 3 Langwied Lake, Kreuzkapellenstraße 89 (S-Bahn S3: Lochhausen, then "Badebus" (lake bus)). The Langwied lake area comprises of Langwied lake itself, Lußsee lake, and Birkensee lake. Besides swimming in the lake, you can also rent rowing boats, play minigolf, or go diving. In the vicinity there is a restaurant with beer garden, a hotel, and a camping site. During hot summer days the lakefront is crawling with people from Munich trying to escape the heat of the city.
- 4 Munich Golf Club, Zentralländstraße 40, ☏ . 18 course Golf Club next to the Isar. Green Fee € 30-75.
- 5 Professional basketball game of FC Bayern Munich Basketball, Grasweg 74 (S-Bahn S7, S20 & U-Bahn U4, U5: Heimeranplatz), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. If you are tired of all the football that is gonign on in Germany, why not try a basketball match? The basketball division of FC Bayern Munich is one of the best team in Germany. They play their games at Audi Dome, which has 6,700 seats and was built in 1972 for the basketball tournament of the Summer Olympics. Adults €20-40, Concessions €10-28.
- 6 Sugar Mountain, Helfenriederstraße 12 (U-Bahn: U3 Machtlfinger Straße). Subculture location in a disused concrete factory with cultural events such as film festivals, concerts, theater, exhibitions or flea markets in a large industrial hall as well as an open-air beer garden, basketball courts, a bouldering wall and a skate park in the outdoor area. In the summer months, the electro open air "Kollektivgarten 3000" takes place daily in the outdoor area with numerous performances by DJs and live acts.
Most parts of these districts have kept their small-town style. Big shops are rather uncommon. The daily needs are met by small shops and stores like butchers and grocers and the like.
- 1 Farmers' market, Fellererplatz (S-Bahn S7: München-Solln). F 08:00-12:00. Local products sold by farmers. Traditional meeting place for locals and elder people.
- 2 KARE Kraftwerk, Drygalski Allee 25, 81477 München (U-Bahn: U3 Forstenrieder Allee, Bus: Lines 63,132 Züricher Straße), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 10.00-20:00, Su 13:00-17.00. Large flagship store of the same-named company, known for design furniture and decoration, housed within a decommissioned and landmarked former power plant, Heizkraftwerk Drygalski-Allee. Beyond shopping, you can also enjoy a drink and a fantastic view over the Alps on the 400-m² roof-top terrace, or visit the restaurant Küche im Kraftwerk.
- 3 Lauche & Maas, Alte Allee 28 (S-Bahn: München-Pasing), ☏ , ✉ postmaster@Lauche-Maas.de. M-W & F 09:00-19:00, Th 09:00-20:00, Sa 09:00-16:00. This shops offers everything for the traveller, who likes to go off the beaten path - from standard backpacks to equipment for your next tour through the deserts of the world.
- 4 Pasing Arcaden, Josef-Felder-Straße 53 (S-Bahn: München-Pasing), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Pasing Arcaden is a huge shopping area with numerous clothing stores, supermarkets, electronics stores, and fast food joints.
- 5 Sport Bittl, Oertelplatz 3 (S-Bahn S2: München-Allach), ☏ . M-W 10:00-19:00, Th F 10:00-20:00, Sa 10:00-18:00. This is the headquarter of a chain of huge sports wear and sports utilities stores, specialized in mountain sports and biking. At the outlet store here you can often get considerable discounts here.
- 1 Al Caminetto (Italian), Diefenbachstraße 39 (S-Bahn S7, S20: München-Solln), ☏ . 11:30-22:00. Al Caminetto is a family-run Italian restaurant in Solln with fresh and good food. It offers business lunches but focuses on regulars.
- 2 Cam Ly (Vietnamese), Pfeufferstraße 33 (U-Bahn U3/U6: Implerstraße), ☏ . Su-F 11:00-14:30 & 17:00-23:00, Sa 17:00-23:00. Cam Ly is very well known in Munich for its delivery service, but the restaurant, although rather north-vietnamese looking from the outside, is worth a visit, too.
- 3 Taverna Agora (Greek), Aberlestraße 1 (U-Bahn U3/U6: Implerstraße), ☏ . M-Th 11:30-14:30 & 17:00-01:00, F 11:30-14:30 & 17:00-4:00, Sa 17:00-4:00, Su 17:00-01:00. Agora is a typical Greek restaurant with atypical (long) opening hours. On weekends there is (Greek) live music in the restaurant and don't be surprised when (late at night) people start dancing Sirtaki.
- 1 Café Gans am Wasser, Siegenburger Str. 41 (S-Bahn & U-Bahn: U4, U5, S7, S20 Heimeranplatz), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:00–00:00. Alternative café on the waterfront by the operators of the Bahnwärter Thiel club with a concert stage, cabaret, theater, readings, Europallet and bathtub loungers and a circus tent for bad weather.
- 2 Augustiner Schützengarten, Zielstattstraße 6 (S-Bahn S7, S20: München-Mittersendling), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10:00-00:00. Augustiner Schützengarten (fka Münchner Haupt') has 3,000 seats and of course serves Augustiner beer from wooden barrels. The beer garden is located around a historic building, that houses a gun club. Every Sunday from 17:00 there are live music performances. Beer (1L) €6.40.
- 3 Hopfengarten, Siegenburger Straße 43 (S-Bahn S7, S20 & U-Bahn U4, U5: Heimeranplatz), ☏ . 11:00-23:00. The beer garden is in the eastern part of Westpark, right next to the Audidome basketball stadium. Every Thursday and Sunday there are live performances of bands from Munich. Hopfengarten has 1,500 seats and serves Löwenbräu beer. Beer (1L) €6.90.
- 4 Insel Mühle, Von-Kahr-Straße 87 (S-Bahn S2: München-Untermenzing), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr-Oct 11:00-23:00. Insel Mühle is idylically located on an island in the river Würm. Up to 800 people can enjoy their Augustiner beer in this very traditional beer garden. Beer (1L) €6.90.
- 5 Langwieder See, Kreuzkapellenstraße 89 (S-Bahn S3: Lochhausen, the "Badebus" (lake bus)), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 11:00-22:00. The beer garden is located in the Langwied lake area (see above). The best way to get there is by bike, but there is also a shuttle bus from Lochhausen S-Bahn station. Langwieder See has 1,000 seats and is the only bigger beer garden in Munich that serves König Ludwig beer. Beer (1L) €6.20.
- 6 Rosengarten, Westendstraße 305 (Tram 18: Stegener Weg), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00-01:00. The beer garden at the western end of Westpark was built on a little hill overlooking a small lake in 1983 for the International Garden Festival. Up to 1,500 people can enjoy their Paulaner beer in the shade of huge chestnut trees. Due to its rather remote location, Rosengarten is allowed to be open until after midnight. Beer (1L) €6.90.
- 7 Waldwirtschaft Großhesselohe, Georg-Kalb-Straße 3 (S-Bahn S7: Großhesselohe Isartalbahnhof), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. daily 10:30-01:00. As this beer garden is located near Munich's high-society suburb Grünwald, chances are good to see at least a local celebrity. The Spaten beer for the 2,500 guests is accompanied not by oompha bands but live jazz music. The beer garden provides barbecues for guests to bring their own food to grill. Beer (1L) €7.50.
- 8 Zum Flaucher, Isarauen 8 (U-Bahn U3: Brudermühlstraße), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This restaurant and beer garden is the closest to the Flaucher islands. It serves its up to 1,700 guests Löwenbräu beer. Beer (1L) €7.40.
Bars & clubs
- 9 Feierwerk, Hansastraße 39 (S-Bahn & U-Bahn: S7, S20, U4, U5 Heimeranplatz, Bus: 62,130,N43 Hansapark), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Cultural center at a former industrial depot including 4 clubs or concert venues (Hansa 39, Kranhalle, Orangehouse, Sunny Red), a radio station (Radio Feierwerk 92,4 ), an artist's workshop (Farbenladen) and a skatepark (Skateplatzl).
- 10 Alte Utting (formerly: MS Utting), Lagerhausstraße 5 (U-Bahn: U3, U6 Poccistraße or Implerstraße, Bus: 62,132 Lagerhausstraße), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This passenger ship, which can be found just around the corner of the Bahnwärter Thiel club, is crossing an inner-city arterial road on a railway bridge. It offers beer, grilled meats, concerts, cabaret, disco nights in the machine room, a beer garden, and from the upper deck certainly the most unusual view over Munich.
- 11 Nachtgalerie, Landsberger Straße 185 (Tram 18, 19: Am Lokschuppen), ☏ . F Sa 22:00–05:00. This club is in a former railway cargo terminal. Once a vibrant venue for live music, it's primarily DJ's now as prices have gone up and the age of the visitors has gone down.
- 12 Nerodom, Ganghoferstraße 74 (U-Bahn U4, U5: Schwanthalerhöhe), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu 19:00-00:00, F 21:00-04:00, Sa 21:00-04:30. Nerodom is Munich's only full-time "black club" - that's Goth, Wave, Industrial, Electro, Medieval, Black Metal, depending on the day. All other "black events" are usually once a week or once a month. Dress black or you won't be allowed to enter.
- 13 Zur Gruam, Thalkirchner Str. 114 (U-Bahn: U3,U6 Poccistraße or Implerstraße, Bus: 62,132 Lagerhausstraße), ☏ . 22:00. Once a corner pub and alleged first drop-in point for released prisoners, this tiny venue has turned into a trendy bar and afterhour-club with disco feeling and live electro DJs.
- 1 Campingplatz Obermenzing, Lochhausener Straße 59 (S-Bahn S2: München-Untermenzing), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. It is close to the end of autobahn A 8, and has the corresponding background noise. The sanitary facilities were renovated in 2013.
- 2 Camping Munich-Thalkirchen (Camingplatz Thalkirchen), Zentralländstraße 49 (U-Bahn U3: Thalkirchen (Tierpark)), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This highly frequented camping ground is at the banks of the Isar, approximately 15 min to the city center by bike. The camping site has all necessary facilities and a very international atmosphere. The site is open mid-Mar to Oct. Adults €5.50.
- 3 Munich-Thalkirchen Youth Hostel, Miesingstraße 4 (U-Bahn U3: Thalkirchen (Tierpark)), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. from €28 per person.
- 4 Holiday Inn Munich - South, Kistlerhofstraße 142 (U-Bahn U3: Machtlfinger Straße), ☏ . Concrete bunker from the outside, good service inside. This HI is located in the commercial area and serves employees from the surrounding companies. 320 rooms and good location keep that place running. Double from €85.
- 5 Leonardo Hotel Munich City West, Brudermühlstraße 33 (U-Bahn U3: Brudermühlstraße), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The hotel has a modern and nice interior and a large roof terrace. Double from €89.
- 6 K+K Hotel am Harras, Albert-Rosshaupter-Straße 4 (S-Bahn S7 & U-Bahn U6: Harras), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The K+K is one of the best hotels in the neighborhood with an excellent connection to public transportation. Double from €150.
- 1 M-WLAN wifi hotspot Sendling (Harras) (Harras). The city of Munich provides free wifi hotspots at some of the major tourist spots and important squares around the city. free.
- Lake Starnberg: About 30 min drive to the next big lake. Fancy restaurants and swimming are the main pastime activities.
- Tegernsee: Still thirsty? The beer gardens at Lake Tegernsee are impressive and you can take your bike on the train if you've had too many beers.