Mussoorie with its green hills & varied flora & fauna, is a fascinating hill resort and a fabulous honeymoon spot. Commanding a wonderful view of extensive Himalyan snow ranges to the northeast, & glittering views of the Doon Valley, Roorkee, Saharanpur & Haridwar to the South, the town presents a fairyland atmosphere to the tourists. Its history dates back to 1827 when Captain Young, an adventurous military officer, explored the present site & laid the foundation of this holiday resort which now has few rivals. Mussoorie is famous for its scenic beauty and hectic social life.
At an altitude of over 6000 ft (2000m), Mussoorie is a popular retreat from the heat of the plains. Be prepared for the cold if you come in the Winter (Dec-Feb), when you can expect freezing weather and snow. The monsoon arrives in July and stays through mid-September.
Buses leave from Dehradun train station. There are two buses which go to opposite ends of the Mussoorie Mall, Library and Picture Palace. It is quite a hike from one to the other, so make sure you catch the right one. To reach Kempty Falls directly from Dehra Dun catch a bus from the Dehra Dun Railway station Hill Bus Services Section or take a taxi. One should look for buses heading for destinations like Barkot, Nainbagh, Yamunotri, and Purola (Caution:sometimes Purola buses go via Vikas nagar which may take you off the route completely so be careful). You can also take a bus to the Library end of Mussoorie and walk to the Kempty Bus stop and take a bus or taxi or a milkvan or even hitch a ride with a tourist going in that direction!! Bus fee for Library end or Kulri end (from Dehradun) is INR47. Toll Tax is payable on entering Kempty Village per bus/taxi/car/scooter. Bus fare from library end to kempty is around INR15.
It is possible to hire a taxi for the trip up to Mussoorie. Rates are Rs 610 per taxi and Rs 50 extra for the night charges but one can pay per seat as well in a shared taxi which normally accommodates up to five passengers.Shared or chartered taxis too are available near the same Hill Section Bus terminal and the rates are controlled by the taxi union. These rates are generally displayed on a board outside their office.
Mussoorie is just 38 km from Dehradun and one can reach here by taxis and buses. It takes approximately one and a half hour and Rs 47 for the regular buses to reach Mussoorie. From the Dehradun railway station, taxis charge around Rs 610. Shared taxis charging a little over Rs 100 per person are also available.
Once in Mussoorie, the affordable and effective way to get around the city is to opt for bus system or cycle rickshaws. Cycle rickshaws for traveling within city may cost approximately Rs 20. However, it may get crowded, especially during peak hours. For most part you will want to get around on foot. The Mall is closed to most vehicles.
A relatively flat section of the Mall allows a fleet of rickshaws to ply their trade. You can catch a ride from the Library end of the Mall to about the midpoint.
A full day Mussoorie sightseeing by rickshaw is less costly as compared to private cabs or taxis. But it is time consuming too. So taxis are preferable if you are in hurry but be ready to pay some extra money.
Within Mussoorie, taxis are not very useful. If you are heading up to Landour with your luggage, it would be wise to catch a ride. They can also be hired for outings to places such as Kempty Falls or Happy Valley. There are taxi stands at both ends of the Mall. Many locals offer 'taxi' services, and if you are staying longer you will likely find these (slightly cheaper) alternatives. But all the taxies are under a union,so the rates will not vary and one has to hire them through the union office at library end, mall road, kempty bus stand etc. One can also rent a private car which will be a little costly but less time consuming. A complete day of sightseeing around the city by taxi including Dhanoltri and Kempty Falls cost more than Rs 1800.
- Bhatta falls. On the way back to Dehradun from Mussoorie take the opportunity to see Bhatta Falls. 2-km trek, 3 km away from Mussoorie. Mussoorie Lake is also another site to relax that is located on the same route. Boating is available there.
- Camty Fall (Kempty Falls), Mussorie road teen pani. About 15 km from Mussoorie, this now over-built spot is a popular tourist destination. Catch a taxi or a bus from the Library stand.
- Company Garden. It is a Govt. initiative, a man made beautiful park with artificial falls and fun rides. From Gun Hill Point rickshaws are available. It costs 100/- fixed rate per person round trip.
- Dhanaulti. About 28 km from Mussoorie, this spot is a quiet forest area converted into two Eco parks by the government. Don't miss the forest trails (one inside the Eco Park 2 and the other just outside it). Catch a taxi (approx Rs 900) from the Library stand.
- Gun Hill Point. One can enjoy the trolley ride to Gun Hill to view the splendid view of all the city and ice capped Himalaya. Trolley charge is Rs 55/- round trip. Lots of photographic opportunities available as traditional dress being worn by populace is common. Up there, it is like a small fair with lots of stalls for games, snacks and nick-knacks.
- Happy Valley. A couple kilometers from the Library end of the Mall, Happy Valley is a 5,000 strong Tibetan settlement. This is a beautiful spot for a short hike. Taxis and possibly bicycle rickshaws ply this route.
- Himalayan Weavers (below the Himalayan Guest house), ☎ 0135-2115282 and 9759009830. An interesting place on the way to Dhanaulti is Himalayan Weavers which uses natural dyes to produce hand-woven shawls, stoles, scarves and throws of wool, eri silk and pashmina. They have a shop 8 KMs from Mussoorie on the Mussoorie-Dhanaulti Road. They produce high quality hand-made products, popularize the use of environmentally friendly natural dyes and provide a market for craft products made in the Himalayan region.
- Jawahar Aquarium. Located on Mall Road, Jawahar Aquarium has a very nice collection of fish. Entry ticket is only Rs 15.
- Jhari Pani Falls. It is 5 km away from the library bus stand. From Dehradun to Mussoorie, for Jharipani one has to take a right turn 11 km before Mussoorie. Motorable roads are nicely maintained by the govt. To reach the falls from main road. It's a 2-km trek.
- Lake Mist. About 5 km before Kempty Falls on the Mussoorie-Kempty road is a good picnic spot with accommodation and restaurant facilities; boating is also available. With the Kempty river flowing through it, Lake Mist has many small waterfalls made by the river.
- Lal Tibba. A scenic 5 km uphill walk from Picture Palace to the highest point in Mussoorie. Passes through Landour Bazaar.Old light house is the nice thing to see there. It's a long walk to Lal Tibba from Picture Palace, about 2 to 3 hours, but you will enjoy every bit of it!
- Tibetan Buddhist Temple (Shedup Choepelling temple). It is located on the Happy Valley road close to the IAS Academy. The temple can be visited between 7AM to 5PM. Mussoorie was the Dalai Lama’s first place of refuge when he fled Tibet, before he was granted land in Dharamshala by then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
- Cambridge Book Store (Opposite State Bank of India) The oldest Book Shop here, the well-read and well-known owner of the shop is a genial and helpful guy. You can find any type of books and magazines here. Ruskin Bond, the famous writer is a regular here, as well his books which are among the bestsellers!
- FastTrack Gaming Cafe (opposite Clarks Hotel, Mall Road, Tel: 0135-2632154) - while you shop around the mall, your kids can keep themselves occupied playing latest games. Some of the gaming consoles available here are the PlayStation2 and Xbox 360.
- Landour Language School (about 2 Km above Landour Bazaar). The school offers classes in Hindi, Urdu, Sanskrit and the local dialect of Garhwali.
- The Walks of Mussoorie - Mussoorie itself offer some walks around the town. On walk you can take from Library point to landhaur Market via camel's back road. It is still free from noise and offer some very beautiful views along with echo-point.
- Antiques and Handicrafts Couple (Classic Emporium, website: www.classic-emporium.com, Phone: +91 135-2632574, Chandok Handicrafts, Phone: +91 135-2631557, e-mail - email@example.com ) of shops on the Mall road offers good candle-stands, lamps, antique British furniture, decoratives, gift items and all kinds of Indian handicrafts and porcelain figures.
- Branded Stores - A variety of branded store like, Reebok, Liberty, Koutons, Music world, PlanetM and Wingsfield have come up on the main mall road.
- G. Dass & Co. (opp. Clarks Hotel, Mall Road, tel: 0135-2632154) is the oldest photography shop in Mussorie. Located centrally on the Mall road, this shop offers facilities like printing photographs (digital and manual). Over here cameras are available for sale and it is one of the few places where you can get them on rent as well.
- Om Gift Emporium, 80 Kulri Bazar, ☎ . It is famous for latest & New Electronic Toys, Gifts, Watches, Belts, Mp3, Mp4 etc.
- Standard Dry Cleaners, The mall Rd.
- Wooden Handicrafts, ☎ . Hilly Cottage Industries(Ropeways Shopping Centre, The Mall Road, is one of the famous shops on The Mall Road. Here you can choose from a wide variety of wooden walking sticks, hand carved jewelry boxes, magazine racks, wooden bowls & trays and various wooden show pieces.
- Clark's Restaurant, The Mall Road, ☎ . 10:00-20:00. Kurli This multi-cuisine place has a bar and a bakery that are part of the menu.
- Four Seasons, Kulri Bazar, The Mall (near Picture Palace on the Mall). 9AM-11PM. Great place to have Indian, Chinese and Continental food. It is most famous for its Chinese cuisine and is cherished by the regular tourists as well as the locals. INR 200-500 pp.
- Green Vegetarian, Kurli. An amazing biryani from locally grown basmati rice makes it a treat to dine here. The Chinese food comes as a close second favourite.
- Kalsang Chinese & Thai Restaurant, near Cafe Coffee Day, nearer to BSNL office. 10:00-22:00. A restaurant that provides authentic Tibetan, Chinese and Thai dishes. This restaurant is run by Tibetan family who is the youngest brother of six sibling.
- Laxmi Mistan, at Gandhi Chowk, ☎ . 07:00-20:00. is an amazing candy shop joint which serves lovely paranthas.
- Lovely Omelette Centre, on the mall road at Kulri Bazaar, ☎ . 08:00-21:00. probably serves the best omelettes in Mussoorie. This hundred square foot outlet is a favourite with students and ex-student tourists.
- Madras Cafe, at Kulri Bazaar, ☎ . 10:00-20:00. serves piping hot Dosas (spicy crisp vegetarian crepe).
- Omi Sweet Shop, Landour Bazaar (200 mtrs ahead of Clock Tower), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Oldest sweet shop of Uttarakhand. Serving quality sweets from last 151 years. The shop was established in 1860 during the British period. Gulab jamuns, pure chocolate barfi, kalakand, sonhalwa are among the favourites.
- Panchachuli, The mall, near Cafe Coffee Day. Panchachuli Women Weavers is a development programme, which facilitates economic and social independence for women in the Indian Himalayas.
- Raj Kamal, Library Bazar, The Mall Road, ☎ . · 08:00-22:00. nice place to dine specially north Indian food. It is located on the mall road near Uphaar. Very well behaved waiters.
- Rice Bowl, Mall Rd. A Chinese and Tibetan food restaurant run by a very friendly Tibetan family. The food is delicious and cheap.
- Uphar Vegetarian,, Mall Road few feet away from Laxmi Mistan, ☎ . 08:30-23:00.
Cup of coffee
- Cafe Coffee Day (on the Mall near the Bank of India) If you are craving a real cup of coffee, or even a cappuccino, then Cafe Coffee Day is the only place in Mussoorie for you. Boasting not-quite-Western prices, this chain cafe will offer you a brief respite from the surrounding sea of chai.
- Dominos - In the same building of CCD dominos pizza is also available.
Pubs & bars
The alcohol is not easily available in the city, so the list of pubs and bars is very short.
- Big Ben, Jaypee Manor Residency, Barlowganj, Dehradun District.
- Marshals Lounge, Jaypee Manor Residency, Barlowganj, Dehradun District, ☎ . 12:00 Noon to 11PM.
- Tavern Restaurant and Bar, The Mall, Picture Palace, Dehradun District. This is one of the very rare bars in Mussoorie which offers an experience of drinking with live music.
- The Victorian Bar, The Clarides Nabha Residence, Airfield Barlowgunj, Mussoorie 248179, ☎ . The bar has lots of variety of cocktails, mocktails and other alcohol. ₹1,351 - ₹5,404.
- Avalon Resorts, at Gun Hill, ☎ . High end - amazing views and lovely cottages. Friendly service. Pick up and drop from Mall road for a fee
- Broadway, Camels Back Rd, ☎ . Although Broadway is very close to the Mall and all its attractions, it is in a quiet spot (except for the call to prayer from the nearby masjid) overlooking the valley. It offers reasonable rates, and friendly staff.Starting Rs 500 (off season)
- Country Inn and Suites by Carlson, Convent Road (Around 1KM from Library Chowk), ☎ . Part of the Country Inn and Suites chain, a little away from Mall Road. Going to Mall Road requires a trip over steep terrain, but the hotel provides pickup/dropoff so guests don't have to negotiate the terrain by themselves. Snow capped peaks might be visible from hotel compound on clear days.
- Country Inn Mussorie Kincreg, Dehradun Tel: (+91)- (0135)-2631 196 Credit cards: not accepted Tariff: Rs 1,150 (non air-conditioned double room), Rs 1,650 (air-conditioned double room), Rs 1,850 (suite)
- Honeymoon Inn, ☎ . The Mall, Tariff: Rs 1,500 (double room) in off season.
- Hotel Ashoka Continental, The Mall, Library Chowk, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.. Situated in the heart of the City Hotel Ashoka offers a panoramic view of hills and valley, most enchanting view of sun kissing Shivalik Peaks. Tariff Ranges from INR 1350-2500. Tel : +91 11-42437263-66, Fax : +91 11-26133299,
- Hotel Dwaper (Opp. Kempty Taxi Stand - 150 mtrs from THE MALL, LIBRARY), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Roof Top Parking with Homely Food and good budget rooms.
- Hotel Emerald Heights, Camel Back Road. A nature friendly hotel offering rooms and cottage. +91 135-2713826, 2631346 
- H. Grand (near to Honeymoon Inn on the opposite side of the street, opposite to the aquarium) -- its an old (100yrs+) hotel/building, the rooms are huge clean but basic. But the ambiance is great if you like this type. Room rents are super low -- Rs 500 for double room (probably the only type of rooms they have).
- Hotel Parkwood, Kulri Bazar. Check-out: 10AM.
- Hotel Nand Residency, The Mall, Kulri, Mussoorie - 248179 (In the centre of the town, approx. 60 metres off THE MALL , Opp State Bank Of India), ☎ . , , Check-in: 12PM, check-out: 10AM. A host of designer rooms with variety of styles & decor gives you a choice to select the ideal room to match your personal likes and expectations. 3000.
- Nirvan Inn. A 19th-century heritage home nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas. One can book the entire bungalow for a holiday that will transport you to another time. The house has panoramic views of the Doon valley; an outdoor gazebo where one can sit and enjoy a drink while viewing the sunset.
- Shiva Continental (Kulri) Near the main mall road away from the daily commotion. Nice food, and good rooms.
It is very safe to be in Mussoorie throughout year. However, visitors are advised to stay cautious during monsoon season. The only thing visitors have to consider is to stay indoors as it may rain continuously during rainy season.
The standard rules of safety like being alert with strangers and not to hang out in strange places will apply to everyone. If you are travelling alone then it is advisable to stay in a hotel in Mussoorie itself and not in remote area.
One needs to provide a Photo ID and a photograph to subscribe for either a postpaid or prepaid mobile phone connection.
- Airtel GSM Triband
- Cellone GSM Triband
- Idea Cellular GSM Triband has very good connectivity throughout Mussorie
- Vodafone GSM Triband
- Banaras Cyber Cafe (Next to Green Vegetarian restaurant, Kulri, Tel: (+91)-(0135)-2633 703) New Lenovo desktops, Lenovo LCD monitors and laser printers.
- FastTrack Cyber Cafe (Opp. Clarks Hotel, Mall Road, Tel: (+91)-(0135)-2632 154) In addition to all the regular Internet services, you can also copy your pictures on CDs and get them printed as well.
- OM Cyber Cafe (Near Bata Company, Kulri, Tel: (+91)-(0135)-2630501) Has a nice fast connection, and also offers wireless, so you can also bring your own laptop. All systems have headsets for Skype/voice chat 7. All desk tops are new Compaqs.
- Sahney's Internet Cafe (Landour Bazaar near Gurudwara, Tel: (+91)-(0135)-2632 510) Sahney's has a nice fast connection, and also offers wireless, so you can also bring your own laptop. All systems have headsets for Skype/voice chat.
- Kanatal – It is located around 33 km from Mussoorie and now emerging as one of the popular destinations in Uttarakhand. The peacefulness of this place attracts many visitors from different corners of India.
- Lakha Mandal - 80 km from the Mussoorie, the site has got special archaeological importance.
- Naga Tibba - Around 55 km away from Mussoorie, it is highly exciting place for trekkers. Naga Tibba is highest peak around the city with height of 10,000 feet. In order to reach such an adventurous place, one has to drive 35 km and then travel remaining distance doing the trek. Visitors also get an opportunity to interact with locals of Garhawali villages while doing the trek.
- Surkhanda Devi Temple - Around 35 km from the city, the temple demands a stiff climbing of more than 2 km from devotees. The road to Surkhanda Devi temple passes through highly dense forest having rich flora and fauna. While doing the trek, you can get majestic view of panoramic snow along the spectacular Himalayan range.