Nackawic is a mill town. A large part of the workforce for the nearby AV Nackawic lives in the town.
The area was settled in 1784 by the United Empire Loyalists, primarily through land grants to the families of soldiers who had fought with His Majesty's Regiment of Queen's Rangers during the American Revolutionary War.
Previously known as Otis, development began in the late 1960s. It was built to provide homes for people forced to relocate as the result of the construction of the Mactaquac Dam. A pulp mill between 1967 and 1970 was built to employ these displaced persons who lost their traditional farming opportunities that came with the dam.
Nackawic is 65 km west of the city of Fredericton along the Trans-Canada Highway and north on Route 102.
There is no bus service to Nackawic.
The nearest airport is in Fredericton.
- 1 World's largest axe, Landegger Dr (east of Otis Drive). There are a playground, pond, benches and portable toilets near by
- Festival on the Bend, 152 Otis Drive, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. August 20-26. Festival on the Bend, formerly known as Nackawic Community Days, has been a community tradition for more than 40 years. For 2017, the festival has been extended back to a full week of activities, ending with the Fireworks Spectacular Saturday evening. It includes pageants, a parade, vendors, Music at the Axe, lawnmower races, a washer toss and bouncy castles.
- Nackawic Arena, 152 Otis Dr, ☏ . The arena has a large indoor ice surface, suitable for hockey.
- Nackawic Curling Club, 122 Carleton Dr, ☏ . Wheelchair accessable
- Nackawic Golf & Country Club, 101 Trenholm St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Reasonable rates, 5,500-yard course
- Your Independent Grocer Nackawic, 135 Otis Dr, Unit 125, ☏ . Grocery store. NB Liquor Outlet.
- There is one bank: Scotiabank.
- Post office
- Pizza Twice, 135 Otis Dr (in the Nackawic Mall), ☏ . M-F 11AM-8PM, Sa noon-8PM. Sells pizza either by box or by slice. Order at least half an hour in advance. Pizza can either be taken away or eaten in the store. Subs,cwings and donairs, too.
- Yum Yum's Ice Cream, 135 Otis Dr, ☏ . Summer months only.
- Robin's Donuts and Captain Sub, 455 Route 105, ☏ . Daily 6AM-10PM. Drive-through. Free TV & Wi-Fi.
- Nackawic Golf & Country Club Resturant, 101 Trenholm St, ☏ . Th-Sa 9AM-9PM, Su-W 9AM-7PM.
- Saigon's Garden, 758 Route 105. W-F Su noon-8PM, Tu Sa 4-8PM. Chinese, Vietnamese.
- Nackawic Subway (Subway Store #51918), 467 Highway 105, ☏ .
- Big Axe Brewery and B&B, 519 Otis Drive, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Su-W noon-6PM, Th-Sa noon-9PM. The saloon offers samples of their craft beer, craft cider and mead. Organic New Brunswick hops.
- Nackawic Motel, 736 Route 105, ☏ . Ten units, two storeys. Air conditioning, private bath and TV.
- Impressive Cove, 78 Smythe Ln (exit 231 from Trans-Canada, cross second bridge and turn immediately left onto Smythe Lane), ☏ . Check-in: 4-6PM (call ahead if later than 6PM), check-out: 11AM. Waterfront B&B. 3½ stars (Canada Select) $80 to $130, $20 extra per person.
- Big Axe Brewery and B&B, 519 Otis Drive, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Beside the brewery. $119-129.
|Routes through Nackawic|
|Edmundston ← Woodstock ←||W E||→ Fredericton → Moncton|