Nagoya is located on Batam Island's northern peninsula. The local government would like Batam Centre to become the center to governmental offices, business and commerce. However, private enterprise has voted for Nagoya. Nagoya is the city center where you can find most hotels, food or entertainment.
The name comes from Japanese engineers who arrived on the island in the 1970s to work on early infrastructure projects. Lubuk Baja was where they came to drink and eat, so they dubbed it after the city of Nagoya in Japan, and the name has stuck — although the name remains informal, and in all official contexts it's Lubuk Baja.
The closest ferry terminal is at 1 Harbour Bay (Jodoh), a short drive from central Nagoya, with frequent services on Horizon Fast Ferry from Singapore's HarbourFront terminal. Visa on arrival is available. The old ferry terminal at Batu Ampar is now closed.
Taxi to Sekupang costs Rp 12.000 per person if you are sharing, Rp 40.000 if chartered. Going to Harbour Bay ferry terminal is about Rp 15.000.
- Temple of Da Bo Gong (大伯公廟). Located between Nagoya Hill and BCS. You can see a lot of sculptures of gods and goddesses.
- 1 Wihara Budhi Bhakti, Jl Pembangunan Windsor.
- 2 Baitussyakur Mosque (Masjid Baitussyakur), Jl Imam Bonjol No. 1 (near to Hotel Harmoni), ☏ .
Do what all seem to do: hang out at Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall.
For clothing check out Batam City Square / Nagoya Hill Mall. Sporting equipment is dominated by golf equipment, which can be found in a large sporting store in Nagoya. Tourist from Singapore love to shop for local products from Hypermart in Nagoya Hill Mall and Mega Mall. Some favorite grabs includes LAYERS /LAMOIST BATAM Style kue lapis, keropok gonggong (crackers), Indomie (local instant noodles), and cheap tidbits. Some local shops usually accept Singapore Dollars, because of Batam being very close to Singapore geographically. In any case you need extra cash to shop, you can still exchange your currency at the local money changers which offer competitive rates, or you may use a credit card.
- 1 Nagoya Hill, Jl. Teuku Umar No. 1. The biggest mall in Batam and is home to the Matahari department store. You can watch a movie at the Studio 21 cineplex here for Rp45,000.(weekdays only) Rp.55.000. (Weekends)
- 2 Batam City Square (BCS), Jl. Bunga Raya. One of the more crowded malls in Batam. You can watch a movie there for Rp20,000. The mall also has karaoke, lounge, Timezone arcade, bowling and slot machines.
Nagoya has many outdoor food courts called pujasera, akin to Singapore's hawker centres.
- Nagoya Food Court, opposite Hotel Sahid Rashinta. Nagoya's largest with 400 seats. Try 888 Seafood Tofu Claypot, Pork Knuckle, Tom Yum soup or New Hai San Seafood 新海汕海鲜 (Tel:+62-811-77-9656) steamed orbfish (清蒸白鲳).
- Pujasera A1, near Lucky Plaza. Has a wide variety of Indonesian and Chinese food, including another branch of New Hai San.
- Pujasera Sindo Happy, at the intersection of Jalan Iman Bonjol and Jalan Windsor.
- 1 Sederhana Restaurant, Windsor Central Block B No.1 Nagoya Batam. With specific Padang cuisine.
There's a variety of local food stalls located on the left side of Nagoya Hill entrance where you can find sate, ayam panggang and ikan bakar.
If you'd like local food with air-con and perhaps a little more hygiene, head to the food court in any shopping mall. Nagoya Hill's Food Street, in particular, is large, cheap, tasty and always packed.
- Ayam Penyet Ria, Nagoya Hill and elsewhere. Famous for their ayam penyet "smashed" fried chicken, but also does good gado-gado and other Indonesian favorites.
- Bakso Lapangan Tembak Senayan, in BCS Mall, Nagoya Hill and Mega Mall.
- Dapoer Kampoeng, Nagoya Hill. Sundanese eatery serving up nasi timbel (rice in banana leaf) with fried chicken, fish etc and lip-smackingly fiery sambal. Sets from Rp. 25,000.
You can find excellent Western food in downtown Nagoya Entertainment District outlets, such as Red Cock, Bistro and Lucy's Oarhouse.
The Nagoya Entertainment District is Batam's most notorious den of sleazy nightlife.
- Hotel Prima Asia, Nagoya 2000 No. 09-10, Lubuk Baja (Nagoya), Pulau Batam 29432, ☏ , , , fax: . Located behind Centerpoint, it offers acceptable rooms with hot shower and TV, though a few have only wall views. It’s a good deal if your budget is really tight Standard Rp 125.000, VIP Rp 165.000 (additional Rp 20.000 on weekends).
- 1 Hotel Nagoya Plasa, Jl. Imam Bonjol, Lubuk Baja (Nagoya), ☏ , fax: , . Check-in: 14:00. 131 rooms and suites next to the largest hypermarket and shopping center in Batam: Nagoya Hill Shopping Centre. The rooms are stuffed with modern amenities such as refrigerator and mini bar, IDD, private bath and shower, soft touch and master bedside control panel for central AC, TV, radio, lighting, in-house video. Other facilities include a bar & lounge, coffee shop and big screen sport café. Standard Rp 300.000, Superior Rp 380.000, Junior Suite Rp 600.000, Suite Rp 800.000, add an extra bed costs Rp 100.000.
- 2 Planet Holiday Hotel & Residence, Jalan Raja Ali Haji, Sei Jodoh, ☏ , , fax: . This is a typical Indonesian Chinese-run high-range hotel. This hotel has a lot of facilities including swimming pool, pubs, fitness club, bank and restaurants. Breakfast included. Online prices: Superior SGD $90, Deluxe S$100, Junior Suite S$150, Premier Suite S$215, Executive Suite S$245, Club Deluxe SGD $115, Jupiter Suite S$270, Presidential Suite S$1150.
- 3 Holiday Hotel, Jl. Iman Bonjol Blok B No. 1 Lubuk Baja (Nagoya), Pulau Batam 29432, ☏ , fax: . This is a typical Indonesian Chinese-run midrange hotel. It’s not gorgeous, but it’s the best value of its kind. The staffs seem ambivalent to give any discount, even though the room occupancy rate is low. Breakfast included and check out time is 13:00. Rp 220.000, add an extra bed costs Rp 44.000.
- 4 Formosa Hotel, A8 City Plaza, Lubuk Baja (Nagoya), ☏ , fax: . This Singapore Dollar-friendly 3 star hotel is only steps away from the Nagoya's shopping malls and food courts (pujasera). Deluxe or Superior King S$63/S$68 (weekday/weekends), Junior Suites S$100/S$110 (weekday/weekends), Executive Suites S$130/S$140 (weekday/weekends).
- Goodway Hotel, Jl. Imam Bonjol, No. 1, Lubuk Baja (Nagoya), Pulau Batam 29432, ☏ , fax: . This 4 star business-class hotel with good location offers 273 rooms and suites. Used to be known as Mandarin Regency Hotel and ever housed one of the better known casinos in Batam island, it’s quite a grand hotel but a little dated. Nevertheless, it’s served by a good team of friendly and helpful staffs. The hotel business is not as good as it used to be since the casino ban in Feb 2005. There’s a restaurant, health centre, swimming pool, pub, karaoke Lounge and saloon. Check out time is 12:00. Superior S$106, Junior Suite S$107, Executive Suite S$245, Presidential Suite S$860, add an extra bed costs S$35.
- 5 Regina Inn, Kompleks Inti Sakti Bl A/4 Lubuk Baja (Nagoya), Pulau Batam 29432, ☏ . Uninspiring, unexciting, this budget option can be pretty grimy. Rooms are very basic. Ekonomi Rp 90.000, Standard Rp 110.000, VIP Rp 130.000.
- Sari Jaya Hotel, Kompleks Bumi Indah, Lubuk Baja (Nagoya), Pulau Batam 29432, ☏ , fax: . It has big and spacious rooms, offers standard TV, hot water and breakfast. However, there are some hairline cracks observed on the wall in the room. Daily renovation works end about 17:00 and it’s not really worth the price unless having a perennial 20%-off special. Check out time is 13:00.
- 6 Harmoni Hotel Batam, Jl. Imam Bonjol Nagoya, ☏ , fax: .
- 7 Hotel Melia Panorama, Kompleks Tanjung Pantun, ☏ .
- 8 Triniti Hotel Batam, Jalan Raja Ali Haji, Kempleks Boulevard No CC 11-18, Nagoya, Batam Island, Indonesia, ☏ . En-suite rooms with Internet. Spa, gym, restaurant.
- 9 Sentosa Hotel, Jalan Raja Ali Haji, ☏ , . Hotel is located in the town area, 5 minutes from Harbourbay Ferry terminal. It is also near Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall and famous food places like Puti Bungsu Nasi Padang restaurant. Facilities includes massage center, karaoke, pool table, beauty salon, restaurant cafe and swimming pool. The swimming pool is one of the favorite for locals during weekends. Value for money because the rooms are big for the price offered.
- Swiss-Belhotel-Harbour Bay, Harbour Bay, ☏ , email@example.com. Walking distance from Harbour Bay Terminal.
- Zest Hotel, Harbour Bay, ☏ (Reservation), (Main), firstname.lastname@example.org. Cheapest 3-star hotel starting from $15. Walking distance from Harbour Bay Terminal.
- Golden View Hotel, Jl. Bengkong Laut, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Rooms in this 4-star hotel are spacious, clean, equipped with air conditioning, cable TV and safe. Also on premises: Bar, water slide swimming pool, gym, sauna, jacuzzi, massage center. Buffet style breakfast is included. Billiard is also available at S$4/hr. There are a lot of leisure places around the hotel, such as kart, fishing farm, flying fox, obstacle adventure, high rope, Replica Cheng Ho Ship, miniature custom Indonesia houses, food courts. There is also performance of swallowing burning coal, chewing bulbs, etc. The Golden Prawn Seafood Restaurant is a 2-minute walk from the hotel. This large restaurant is erected over the water. It resembles several open air marquees which is cheap and cheerful in the furnishings. The staff are warm and welcoming. Bird nest delicacy can be found here at S$15/bowl From S$92.
- 89 Hotel, Jl. Pembangunan Baloi Blok VI Penuin, ☏ . Offers rooms equipped with air-conditioning, internet connection, minibar and cable TV. Some of its facilities and services are the L'amour Restaurant, Viva 89 Spa & Fitness Centre, 89 Massage, Meeting rooms and business centre. From USD 39.