Batam Centre is a town in Batam developed by the government to become the center to business and commerce, but up till now it consists mainly of Government & offices Buildings. Most of business and commerce is located in Nagoya.
By Ferry Batam Centre is one of ferry terminal from Singapore. So, if you say Batam Centre, people will normally refer to this ferry terminal. The ferry ride is around 1 hour from Singapore to Batam
By Taxi You can take taxi from Airport to Batam Centre. Official taxi costs about Rp80,000, but if you go out of airport you can get taxi for only Rp30,000. Just haggle & agree on price before go on board.
- Masjid Raya (Grand Mosque) (across PEMDA Building & Mega Mall). This Mosques has a beautiful 'pyramid' architecture. Quite good but already looks a bit old.
- Otorita Batam Building (Batam Development Board Building). It has an interesting architecture with the "terrace" roof.
- PEMDA Building (Local Government Building). This building embrace the local architecture.
Outside of the city
- Maha Vihara Duta Maitreya. A big and "new" Buddhist Temple Located in Sungai Panas, on the way to Nagoya. It also has a vegetarian restaurant & buddhist school. To get there take a taxi for about Rp.20,000, or take "Metro Trans" going to Bengkong, in front of Mega Mall for Rp3,000/person.
There is only one big shopping mall: Mega Mall - Batam.
- Mega Mall - Batam (linked to Batam Center ferry terminal with a bridge). This mall is quite a good mall like in Jakarta.
Many great coffee shops in Mega Mall with free WIFI and good speeds.
JC Donuts and Bread talk outlets for a western snack fix.