Pasir Gudang is a port town and manufacturing hub in Johor, Malaysia. Generally industrial in nature, Pasir Gudang holds a colourful kite festival in February, and the local track circuit is a favourite spot for gearheads in Johor. The Tanjung Puteri golf course is also one of the largest courses in the state.
The name Pasir Gudang originated from the existence of a sand mine at Kampung Ulu. Sand or 'pasir' in Malay was stocked in sand pits or 'gudang', to be exported to Singapore, hence the name 'Pasir Gudang'.
Other than sand, the areas surrounding Pasir Gudang were mainly used by plantation owners to grow catechu and black pepper, along with pineapples. Upon the introduction of rubber to Malaysia, large estates around Plentong were opened by British and Singaporean cultivators. During the 1970s, the state government took over former plantation estates, converting them into industrial and housing areas and cementing Pasir Gudang as a hub for heavy industry. The mass of chemical factories means that the air quality sometimes worsens noticeably, taking on a hint of burning plastic. Johor Port was also established in 1977, in direct competition with the trading port of Singapore.
From JB, follow the signs north towards Kota Tinggi and make a right turn off to Pasir Gudang where signposted, then you can't go much wrong following the major Lebuhraya Pasir Gudang (Federal Route 17). Alternatively, take the JB East Coast Highway, which will pass by Permas Jaya.
Bus fees should cost about RM3-5 from Johor Bahru city centre. Ask for 'Bandaraya Johor Bahru' should there be any difficulty in getting back to the main city.
- Pasir Gudang: Maju bus 224 travels between Larkin Bus Terminal and Pasir Gudang, passing by Plaza Pelangi, Tebrau City and Johor Jaya.
- Masai: Maju buses 39, 200 and 208 run from Larkin to JB city centre to Masai. Transit Link 133 and 133A start from Masai, making a loop to JB then returning to Masai. Causeway Link 9B from JB also stops at Masai Bus Terminal.
Public transportation terminals
Bus and taxi terminals in the town are:
- 2 Masai Bus and Taxi Terminal (Terminal Bas dan Teksi Masai). in Masai.
- 3 Pasir Gudang Bus and Taxi Terminal (Terminal Bas dan Teksi Pasir Gudang). in Pasir Gudang town center.
- 1 Kite Museum (Muzium Layang-Layang), Bukit Layang-Layang. 9AM-5PM. Kites, also known as wau. Displays both traditional and modern kite collections. RM3.
- 2 Sarang Buaya, Kawasan Perindustrian Tanjung Langsat, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 9AM-4:30PM. Crocodile farm.
- 3 Senibong Cove, Masai, 81750. Waterfront area with yacht docking and restaurant rows.
- 4 Sungai Johor Bridge (Jambatan Sungai Johor), Lebuhraya Senai-Desaru. A big and long landmark bridge connecting Pasir Gudang and Kota Tinggi District over Johor River.
- 5 Bandar Baru Seri Alam Blue Lake (Tasik Biru Bandar Baru Seri Alam), Bandar Baru Seri Alam, Masai 81750. Lake.
- 6 Binary Park (Taman Binary), Bandar Baru Seri Alam 81750. Park.
- 7 Bukit Layang-Layang, Kawasan Perindustrian Pasir Gudang. A vast grass park equipped with amphitheater, gardens, jogging track and museum. Suitable to play kites or any activity in an open space.
- 8 Taman Seri Alam Lake Garden (Taman Tasik Taman Seri Alam), Bandar Baru Seri Alam, 81750 Masai. Park surrounding a lake with walking path crossing the center of the lake and children playground.
- 9 Tanjung Langsat Mangrove Recreational Park (Taman Rekreasi Bakau Tanjung Langsat), Kawasan Perindustrian Tanjung Langsat. Mangrove park.
- 10 Tun Jeanne Abdullah Lake Park (Taman Tasik Tun Jeanne Abdullah), Persiaran Seri Alam, Bandar Baru Seri Alam, 81750 Masai. Park with two big lakes at its center, walking path and juggle trekking.
- 1 Amigos Horse Riding, Tanjong Puteri Golf Resort, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 7AM-7PM. Horse riding school.
- 2 Coastal Paddle, Telok Kabong, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Jentayu Aquatic, Km 7, Jalan Kong Kong-Masai, Cahaya Baharu, 81750, ☏ . Fishing pond.
- 4 Johor Circuit, ☏ . The track alternates bike and car racing in turn. Bikers will require full-face helmets, leather gloves and leather jackets for basic safety. Saturday night sprints are popular, where car enthusiasts race their cars down a straight stretch of 300 m in a display of power and speed. Bikes RM60/hr, cars RM80/hr.
- 5 Kota Masai Fishing Pond (Triple S), Jalan Cermai 21, Taman Kota Masai 81750, ☏ . 24 hours. Fishing.
- 6 Pasir Gudang Extreme Park, Jalan Mawar Biru, Kawasan Perindustrian Pasir Gudang, 81700. Skating park for skateboards and inline skates.
- 7 Plentong Go Kart (Permas Jaya Go Kart).
- 8 TS Wonderland Waterpark, Lot 6015-C Jalan Ciku Utama 2 Taman Kota Masai. Indoor water theme park with multi-storey slides.
- 9 Tanjong Puteri Golf Resort, Jalan Tanjong Puteri 1, Tanjong Puteri Resort 81700, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Golf course.
- 10 Gama Rock House JDT, No. 23, Jalan Cempedak 2, Taman Kota Masai, ☏ . Concert venue for those rock music lovers with scheduled concerts on local or international rock bands.
- 11 The Rockin Jamz Hall, 152/02, Jalan Sierra Perdana 4/1, Taman Sierra Perdana, Masai. Concert venue for those heavy metal music lovers with scheduled concerts on local or international heavy metal bands.
- 12 Pasir Gudang Public Library (Perpustakaan Awam Pasir Gudang), L1/11, Kompleks Pusat Bandar 81700, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Library.
- 1 KiP Mart Masai, Jalan Persiaran Dahlia 2, Taman Bukit Dahlia, 81700, ☏ . Supermarket.
- Kompleks Pusat Bandar Pasir Gudang. Fairly standard shopping mall.
- 2 Mydin Mall Taman Rinting, Jalan Rinting, Taman Rinting, 81750 Masai. Supermarket.
- 3 Tesco Eco Tropics, PTD 117754, Jalan Eko Perniagaan 7, Taman Kota Masai, 81700, toll-free: . Sa-W 8AM-11PM, Th F 8AM-midnight. Supermarket.
- 4 Tesco Seri Alam, PTD 111515, Jalan Rinting, Masai, 81750, ☏ . Su-Th 8AM-11PM, F Sa 8AM-1AM. Supermarket.
- 1 Restoran Selera Sambal, 25 Jln Pengkalan 5, Kampung Pasir Puteh. Ayam penyet.
- 2 Tanjung Langsat Food Court (Medan Selera Tanjung Langsat), Jalan Ipil 1, Kawasan Perindustrian Tanjung Langsat. Food court.
- 3 Bora Bora Botanist, Unit No.1 Block B, Senibong Cove, Masai, 81750, ☏ . 12PM-10PM. Restaurant.
- 4 Kedai Makan Rahmat, 3 Jln Pantai, Kampung Pasir Puteh . 10:30AM-3:30PM. Famous for their deep fried fish, or siakap goreng, which are fried with their scales on, keeping the flesh inside tender. The restaurant is built on top of stilts extending over the shore of the Johor Straits. RM30.
- 5 Rowan & Parsley, No. 17, Jalan Cenderai 20, Kawasan Perindustrial Kota Putri, Masai, 81750, ☏ . Smokehouse barbecue restaurant in a garden-themed venue.
- Coffeetrap Restaurant, 7,11 & 15 Jln Permas Jaya, ☏ . Open daily. A sidewalk alfresco dining outlet with live music from early as 7:30PM. The best dishes are lamb shank, grilled salmon, chicken chop with gravy. Popular with locals and expatriates F-M from early as noon and Tu-Th from 3PM with happy hour promotions until 9PM. Fresh fruit juices and vegetarian dishes are also available. RM40 for dinner and drinks.
- Restaurant SPOA, Kg Pasir Duteh Telok Kabong.
- 6 Todak (Orang Asli) Restaurant, 1 Orang Asli, Telok Jawa, Masai, ☏ . 11AM-11PM. Set on a breezy wooden boardwalk right on the Straits of Johor, the restaurant is famous for its seafood and crab platters. The tables are moodily lit with red lights, covered with red plastic and matched with red chairs.
There are next to no drinking holes to be found in Pasir Gudang. Even the seafood restaurants may not necessarily serve beer or any form of alcohol. The Tanjung Puteri golf resort has a couple of lounges open to the public.
Most people who stay in the hotels here are usually on long-term business trips, otherwise preferring to stay in Johor Bahru. There are a few eco-tourism spots such as Kampung Perigi Acheh which offer a rustic kampung experience.
- 1 OYO 89772 Roselyn Inn, No. 41, 01, Jalan Mangga 1, Taman Kota Masai, 81700, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 12PM. Hotel.
- 2 Selesa Hotel, Jalan Bandar, ☏ . Facilities: swimming pool, six function rooms, two restaurants. 185 rooms. All rooms have air-con, attached bathroom, coffee/tea maker, mini-bar, colour TV with ASTRO channels and in-house movies and IDD telephone. Buffet breakfast is included in the rates. RM160.
- 3 Thy Executive Hotel, No.2 Jalan Mutiara 1, Taman Perindustrian Plentong, Masai, 81750, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel.