Nanao (南澳; Nán'ào), also Nan-ao, is a city in Yilan County. It has a significant aboriginal population.
Nanao is served by train. The station is in the center of town. If you're coming by car, Nanao is at about the 130km mark on Provincial Highway 9.
The popular places to get around in Nanao include the hot springs and the waterfall.
- Atayal museum. A fairly new building built to promote the Atayal culture. The exterior and interior of the building are designed and decorated with unique Atayal totems.
- Fishing bay of Nan-ao. Began to work to build in 1993, in addition to the whole ground, the manufacture of rhombus piece, building the south, north outside breakwater, and wharfs for 300 meters. Located the fishing bay of Nan-ao of a sea shore of Chao-Yang neighbor, the north contain Wu-shi-bi for natural cover. Due to the Abundant water resource nearby, the fishing bay of Nan-ao can be used as the fishing place to snare fishes. Fishing bay of Nan-ao is also one of the abundant fishing grounds.
- Sha-yun Memorial Park. At a resting spot next to Ye-jia-xiang exhibition center, with the view of the beautiful mountain mist of Nan-ao, half-way along Suhua Highway. The visitors can visit and understand the meaning of the Bell of the Sha-yun for Nan-ao.
- Nanao Natural Farm (南澳自然田). Volunteers can choose to work and in-exchange for accommodation and meals.
- 1 Nanao Recreation Farm (南澳農場). Operated and maintained by the Yilan County government. Admission free.
- 1 Night market (in front of the train station). every Tuesday.
- 2 Fish market. daily, early in the morning.
- A-Zhen Eatery (阿珍小吃), 89 Nanao St. (Opposite the police station.). Serves up some tasty lamb noodles and bird's-nest fern.
- Jian Hua Ice Shop (建華冰店), 50 Nanao St. (Opposite the police station.). Serves ice dessert. Their most famous dessert is the "Chuan Dao Bing".
- 1 Good Eats Cafe (好糧食堂), South Road 13-1, ☏ . Sa Su 11:00–20:00. Lovely place which serves fresh and local food.
- 1 (歇腳亭), ☏ . NT$25-70.
- The iTaiwan free Wi-Fi is available at the train station. See Taipei article for more information on registration.
- 1 Internet coffee (the building south of the 7-Eleven). 24 hours. You need coins to use the computers. A machine can change your bills for coins. 25 min for NT$10.