Nanao (南澳; Nán'ào), also Nan-ao, is a city in Yilan County. It has a significant aboriginal population.
The township is connected to the TRA network via the following stations:
Other stations in the general region include:
If you're coming by car, Nanao is at about the 130-km mark on Provincial Highway 9.
The popular places to get around in Nanao include the hot springs and the waterfall.
- 1 Atayal museum (泰雅文物館), No. 2, Lane 379, Section 2, Suhua Road, ☏ . 09:00-17:00. A fairly new building built to promote the Atayal culture. The exterior and interior of the building are designed and decorated with unique Atayal totems.
- 2 Nan'ao Ecocenter (南澳生態教育館), No. 55, Zhongzheng Road, ☏ . 08:00-17:00. A 90-hectare park that features an information centre, and a number of facilities to allow visitors to explore and understand the surrounding narural environment.
Culture and history
- Fishing bay of Nan-ao. Began to work to build in 1993, in addition to the whole ground, the manufacture of rhombus piece, building the south, north outside breakwater, and wharfs for 300 m. Located the fishing bay of Nan-ao of a sea shore of Chao-Yang neighbor, the north contain Wu-shi-bi for natural cover. Due to the Abundant water resource nearby, the fishing bay of Nan-ao can be used as the fishing place to snare fishes. Fishing bay of Nan-ao is also one of the abundant fishing grounds.
- 3 Hanben Archaeological Site (漢本遺址), No. 15, Section 1, Suhua Road, ☏ .
Parks and nature
- Sha-yun Memorial Park. At a resting spot next to Ye-jia-xiang exhibition center, with the view of the beautiful mountain mist of Nan-ao, half-way along Suhua Highway. The visitors can visit and understand the meaning of the Bell of the Sha-yun for Nan-ao.
- 4 Guanyin Coast Major Wildlife Habitat (觀音海岸野生動物重要棲息環境), ☏ . A picturesque seaside area of beaches and caves (featured in the page banner).
- 5 Aohua Waterfall (澳花瀑布戲水), ☏ .
- Nanao Natural Farm (南澳自然田). Volunteers can choose to work and in-exchange for accommodation and meals.
- 1 Nanao Recreation Farm (南澳農場). Operated and maintained by the Yilan County government. Admission free.
- 2 Dong'ao Cold Spring (東澳湧泉). 24 hr.
- 3 Nan'ao Stadium (宜蘭縣南澳鄉綜合運動場), ☏ .
- 1 Night market (in front of the train station). every Tuesday.
- 2 Fish market. daily, early in the morning.
- A-Zhen Eatery (阿珍小吃), 89 Nanao St. (Opposite the police station.). Serves up some tasty lamb noodles and bird's-nest fern.
- Jian Hua Ice Shop (建華冰店), 50 Nanao St (Opposite the police station.). Serves ice dessert. Their most famous dessert is the "Chuan Dao Bing".
- 1 Good Eats Cafe (好糧食堂), South Road 13-1, ☏ . Sa Su 11:00–20:00. Lovely place which serves fresh and local food.
- 1 (歇腳亭), ☏ . NT$25-70.
- The iTaiwan free Wi-Fi is available at the train station. See Taipei article for more information on registration.
- 1 Internet coffee (the building south of the 7-Eleven). 24 hours. You need coins to use the computers. A machine can change your bills for coins. 25 min for NT$10.