About five miles northwest of Newark is the hamlet of Hydesville, regarded by many as the birthplace of Spiritualism, in a home at the northwest corner of Parker and Hydesville Roads in the Town of Arcadia (Newark). Here, in Hydesville, stood a cottage where a peddler was murdered, and where the Fox family came to live in 1847. On March 31, 1848, the two daughters of John D. Fox claimed they could communicate with the dead through a series of 'intelligible rappings.' Margaret Fox (1834-1893) and Kate Fox (1836-1892) soon took to holding seances in nearby Rochester, where their older sister lived. The rappings were thought to have been produced through a variety of tricks, including a snapping sound from their toe joints.
- 1 Biking, Hiking, and Fishing on the Erie Canal Path. There is a great section of the Erie Canal Path that runs from T. Spencer Knight Park all the way to Rochester, NY. The path starts on the North side of the Canal from the park which is just northeast of the intersection of routes 31 & 88. It is a great trail for biking & walking. Lots of people also enjoy fishing along the canal. The Erie Canal Path goes all the way to Buffalo, NY but there may be some unfinished sections between Rochester & Buffalo.
- 2 Boating on the Erie Canal. Newark is a nice stop on the Erie Canal for boaters. Docking is free at T. Spencer Knight Park, along with electricity, water, laundry and shower facilities. The dock is very close to a movie theater, mini golf, some restaurants, a pharmacy, and a discount grocery store. Wegmans, a much nicer grocery store is a 1.5 mile walk from the dock.
- 3 Blue Cut Nature Center (Located just east of Newark on Rt.31, just past Fink Rd). Two or three miles of nice trails through pine woods. A small body of water border on the west and a large drumlin borders to the east.
- Save A Lot
- Family Dollar
- The Corner
- D's South of the Border
- Burger King
- Pizza Hut
- Canal View Family Restaurant
- 1 Newark Garden Hotel, 125 N Main St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3 PM - 1 AM, check-out: before 11 AM. All-American breakfast buffet, free WiFi in public areas, free self-parking, heated indoor pool, fitness center, business center, meeting rooms, and a 24-hour front desk onsite. free WiFi, coffee makers, and TVs with satellite channels. Free local calls, ironing boards, and desks. $99 - 145 (varies, specials available).
- 2 Milbenski Farm Bed and Breakfast, 6769 Miller Rd, ☏ .
|Routes through Newark|
|Rochester ← Palmyra ←||W E||→ Jct N S → Vernon → Ends at|
|Rochester ← Palmyra ←||W E||→ Weedsport → Rome|