Newlyn is a fishing village in Cornwall.
Newlyn is home to Newlyn Gallery which houses a collection of modern art, and was also the original home of the Newlyn School of Art,(since re-located in Penlee House in Penzance). This is the 4th largest fishing port in Britain (pop. 4000). The mediaeval quay, beloved of the Newlyn School painters (including Stanhope Forbes, Harold Harvey, Henry Scott Tuke, Lamorna Birch, Norman Garstin, Charles Napier Hemy, Walter Langley), still exists and there are still many charming cottages and narrow lanes to explore.
Mousehole (pronounced Mow-zel by most people, although some locals do say mouse-hole!) is about 45 mins walk away along a good footpath with magnificent views of St Michael's Mount and the huge expanse of Mount's Bay. This charming little place is everyone's idea of a Cornish harbour. A short walk uphill goes to Paul where there is a fine church and a memorial to Dolly Pentreath, reputed last speaker of the Cornish language. The King's Arms pub in Paul was once used by Prince Felix Yusupov, who murdered Grigori Rasputin! An excellent book about this area is 'People & Places in Paul Parish' by Jim Hosking.
- By bus: Half-hourly buses run from Penzance operated by First Bus Cornwall.
- By car: short term on-street parking if you can find a space.
- By foot: 1.5 miles from Penzance train/bus stations along the promenade.
Small enough to walk everywhere, although Paul hill is very steep!
- memorial statue. The magnificent memorial statue by Tom Leaper dedicated to fishermen lost at sea. Near Tolcarne Inn. Unveiled by HRH The Princess Royal, 11 October 2007
- The Newlyn Gallery. re-opened in July 2007 after extensive refurbishment
- The Ripple. restored lugger
- See the Christmas lights around the harbour, also at Mousehole.
- The large harbour, home to some 160 fishing boats.
- The Fradgan area with its closely-packed fishermen's cottages. Dylan Thomas honeymooned here in 1937 after marrying at Penzance registry office.
- Visit local concerts by the[Newlyn Male Choir (rehearsals: Mondays 7.30pm, upstairs at the Fishermen's Mission). See their website for events and history.
- Join in singing at Blessing of the Fleet Services at Newlyn and Mousehole (summertime).
- Visit Badcock's Art Gallery.
- Walk to Mousehole from Newlyn, admiring magnificent views across Mount's Bay and the harbour.
- On the way to Mousehole, see the Lifeboat House and Memorial to the gallant crew who lost their lives in the Solomon Browne disaster, December 1981.
- Visit the Fish Festival, held most years on August Bank Holiday. St Peter's Flower Festival in the Combe at same time.
- Penlee Gallery, Morrab Road, Penzance. Newlyn School paintings are always exhibited in this excellent gallery. There is a cafe there too! Entrance free on Saturdays.
- The Centre on Chywoone Hill (pronounced Choon!) hosts a range of talks, coffee mornings, etc.
- St Peter's Church Hall in the Combe has regular coffee mornings (Weds) and stages many plays and shows during the year.
Check out the comings and goings of this busy fishing port http://newlynharbour.co.uk/blog
- Poetry group 'Drollow' holds a monthly Poetry Prom at The Centre. Free admission, refreshments (last Friday of the month)
- Shop at the Charity Shop which has very low prices and lots of things!
- Fishermen's Mission. serves good meals at lunchtimes.
- Pizza Patio, New Street.
- The Meadery, The Combe.
- Jelbert's Ice Cream Shop. Family recipe ice cream. None of this Italian over-commercialised ice cream here. One flavour only. Get a cone topped with clotted cream and flake.
- Auntie May's Pasty shop.
- Duke Street Cafe.
There are 6 pubs in Newlyn.
- Dolphin. is very characterful, has Karaoke evenings on Fridays and has a great jukebox!
- Tolcarne Inn. is also attractive, holds art exhibitions and features live musicians on Sundays.
- Walking uphill past the harbour brings you to The Red Lion and Fisherman's Arms pubs, both pleasant and serving meals.
- British Legion at the bottom of Chywoone Hill.
- The Swordfish Inn, ☎ . The Strand.
Lamorna Cove, Land's End, Sennen Cove make wonderful visits nearby.