In Germany Nordhausen is a household name, mostly for the "Nordhäuser Doppelkorn" that has been produced here continuously since at least 1507, when the first mention of a tax on locally produced liquor was made. Korn or its higher alcohol variety Doppelkorn is a distilled spirit made from grain, usually rye.
Just out of town lies one of the most notorious concentration camps on German soil from World War II. Mittelbau-Dora is the site where forced laborers had to produce V2 rockets that were later fired on London, Antwerp and other cities throughout the Western front in the waning months of the war. Despite the deadliness of the weapon itself, conditions in the forced labor camps were so horrific that actually more people died producing V2 than through its actual use.
Nordhausen lies along the train line that connects Kassel with Halle, there are regional trains (RE and RB) in either direction at least every two hours, with more trains available on the Nordhausen-Halle part of the connection. Furthermore there are trains from Erfurt (hourly) and Göttingen (hourly) via Herzberg am Harz.
Nordhausen also lies on the Harzer Schmalspurbahn (HSB) a narrow gauge steam railway that covers most of the Harz, including a line up to the Brocken, the highest mountain in the Harz. The Nordhausen tram (streetcar) system is connected to the HSB network and in fact one line uses part of it for an interurban connection to Ihlfeld.
The few airports in the vicinity of Nordhausen have a rather limited number of flights. As such your best bets are probably Leipzig-Halle (LEJ IATA) to the east or (a bit further away and to the southwest) Frankfurt Airport (FRA IATA). Both airports are connected to the S-Bahn network of their respective cities and you can book a train and plane combined ticket with most airlines. See rail air alliances for more on specifics.
- See also: intercity buses in Germany
- Meinfernbus serves the city daily. With twice daily connections to Erfurt.
By tram (streetcar)
Nordhausen has a tram system that also connects to neighboring Ihlfeld via an interurban line that uses the tracks of the Harzer Schmalspurbahn. The line is unique in the sense that the trains have a diesel-electric hybrid engine, using electricity from the overhead wires for most of their trip and the internal diesel generator for the stretches without overhead wires. The fare system is zone based and divided into five zones with one zone costing 1.60€ and the full five zones costing 3.70€ per single ride. Week tickets are also available on a zone basis. The cheapest (one zone) week ticket costs 10.40€ (meaning it is worth it after the seventh trip) whereas the full five zone week ticket costs 24.10€ (making it break even after seven five zone trips).
- 1 KZ Gedenkstätte Mittelbau Dora, Kohnsteinweg 20, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Tuesday to Sunday10:00-16:00 (winter) 10:00-18:00 (summer). Just out of town this Nazi-era concentration camp is where forced laborers built the V2 rockets that were fired on London and Antwerp. The conditions for the forced laborers were truly horrific and visiting this place can be a disturbing experience. free, donations welcomed.
- IFA Musem Nordhausen, Montaniastraße 13, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Tuesday and Thursday: 10:00-17:00. A technology museum with the focus on engines and locomotives 4€ (regular) 2€ (reduced) 15€ (tour group) youth under 16: free.
- Südharz Galerie, Landgrabenstraße 6a, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Echte Nordhäuser Marktpassage, Pferdemarkt 1.
- India Namaste, Töpferstraße 31, ☎ . Indian food and takeaway. No delivery.
- Restauran bar fuss, Altendorf 1, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. mains 10€ to 20€.
- Traditionsbrennerei, Grimmelallee 11, ☎ . As mentioned above, Nordhausen is famous for its Doppelkorn and no visit to the city would be complete without a visit to the distillery. There is an on site shop and tasting is included in the tour (mon-sat. 14:00). The factory is well reachable by tram line 2 and you should take the tram for DUI considerations if nothing else. 6€ including tasting (regular) 3€ (reduced) 1€ for school groups (advance notice required).
- Hotel zur goldenen Aue, Nordhäuser Straße 63, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. single from 41€ double from 66€.
- Hotel Handelshof, Bahnhofstraße 12, ☎ , e-mail: Handelshof-NDH@t-online.de. single from 54€ double from 73€.
- This town is a good entry point for the rest of the Harz area.