Nuevo Ideal is a large town in Durango, Mexico, near Pinos Altos. Its population exceeds 10,000.
Nuevo Ideal is also the center of the Nuevo Ideal Munipality, with an overall population of 26,000.
Nuevo Ideal is one of the larger towns in a long, dry valley. There are several other towns in this valley, at the southern end of which is the city of Durango. The city itself is at an elevation around 2,000 m (6,600 ft).
Like many towns in the region, Nuevo Ideal could be hotter, but its high elevation prevents that.
The area is (of course) Spanish-speaking, and, unlike places closer to the border and tourist attractions, has almost no American influence, so do not expect anyone to speak English.
The Highway 23 connects Nuevo Ideal to other towns in the area.
Like many towns in this part of Mexico, Nuevo Ideal's street layout is largely on a grid.
See and do
- 1 El Gato (Cat Creek), Libertad. Creek on the edge of Nuevo Ideal
- 2 Santiaguillo. Several-mile-long lake within a few miles of Nuevo Ideal.
- 1 Lamsa, Cd Canatlán. John Deere dealer
- 2 Mi Bodega Aurrera, 20 de Noviembre. Grocery Store (a division of Walmart)
Eat and drink
- 1 El Porky, José Ramón Valdez 401, ☏ .
- 2 La Estación, Guadalupe Victoria, ☏ .
- 3 Vidalmar Restaurant, Isabel La Católica.
- 4 Panaderia Espiga De Oro, Miguel Alemán 1107.
- 5 Loncheria Menonita, Miguel Alemán 15, ☏ .
- 6 Pizzas Pochis, Benito Juárez 803. Pizza restaurant
- 1 Hotel Las Águilas, 20 de Noviembre 706, ☏ . Most popular hotel in Nuevo Ideal
- 2 Motel Campo Real, Niños Heroes 400, ☏ .
For those outside of Mexico, connecting with local residents is of course different due to language differences. There is also not the same abundance of newspapers and other connections as may be located in larger Baja California communities.