Nuevo Ideal is a town and municipality in Durango, Mexico.
Nuevo Ideal is a large town in Durango. Its population was about 11,000 in 2010. Nuevo Ideal is also the center of the Nuevo Ideal Munipality, with an overall population of 26,000.
Nuevo Ideal is one of the larger towns in a long, dry valley. There are several other towns in this valley, at the southern end of which is the city of Durango. The city sits at an elevation around 2,000 m (6,600 ft).
Like many towns in the region, Nuevo Ideal could be hotter, but its high elevation prevents that.
The area is Spanish-speaking, and, unlike places closer to the border and tourist attractions, has almost no American influence, so do not expect anyone to speak English.
The Highway 23 connects Nuevo Ideal to other towns in the area. It is about 130 km northwest of the city of Durango.
Like many towns in this part of Mexico, Nuevo Ideal's street layout is largely on a grid.
See and do
- 1 El Gato (Cat Creek), Libertad. Creek on the edge of Nuevo Ideal
- 2 Santiaguillo. Several-mile-long lake within a few kilometers of Nuevo Ideal.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024, starting at 13:14 local time and lasting 4 min. Chances of a clear sky are 80%. The eclipse tracks northeast through Mazatlan and Durango then towards Torreon and Texas.
- 1 Lamsa, Cd Canatlán. John Deere dealer
- 2 Mi Bodega Aurrera, 20 de Noviembre. Grocery Store (a division of Walmart)
Eat and drink
- 1 El Porky, José Ramón Valdez 401, ☏ +52 677 106 4162.
- 2 La Estación, Guadalupe Victoria, ☏ +52 618 145 3908.
- 3 Vidalmar Restaurant, Isabel La Católica.
- 4 Panaderia Espiga De Oro, Miguel Alemán 1107.
- 5 Loncheria Menonita, Miguel Alemán 15, ☏ +52 677 873 0729.
- 6 Pizzas Pochis, Benito Juárez 803. Pizza restaurant
- 1 Hotel Las Águilas, 20 de Noviembre 706, ☏ +52 677 873 0172. Most popular hotel in Nuevo Ideal
- 2 Motel Campo Real, Niños Heroes 400, ☏ +52 677 873 0094.
- Pinos Altos — A very small town of about 400 inhabitants, 14 km northwest of Nuevo Ideal. An active gold and silver mine is the only significant facility in town (no tours are offered). A dirt road leads from Highway 23 to the community. West of the town is a 3 canyon. you can explore. Another dirt road leads out the other side of the town, climbing the mountains before reaching a small lake and a few houses.
- Durango- capital city of the Mexican State of Durango