Nuevo Ideal is a large town in Durango, near Pinos Altos. Its population was about 11,000 in 2010. Nuevo Ideal is also the center of the Nuevo Ideal Munipality, with an overall population of 26,000.
Nuevo Ideal is one of the larger towns in a long, dry valley. There are several other towns in this valley, at the southern end of which is the city of Durango. The city sits at an elevation around 2,000 m (6,600 ft).
Like many towns in the region, Nuevo Ideal could be hotter, but its high elevation prevents that.
The area is (of course) Spanish-speaking, and, unlike places closer to the border and tourist attractions, has almost no American influence, so do not expect anyone to speak English.
The Highway 23 connects Nuevo Ideal to other towns in the area. It is about 130 km northwest of the city of Durango.
Like many towns in this part of Mexico, Nuevo Ideal's street layout is largely on a grid.
See and do
- 1 El Gato (Cat Creek), Libertad. Creek on the edge of Nuevo Ideal
- 2 Santiaguillo. Several-mile-long lake within a few kilometers of Nuevo Ideal.
- 1 Lamsa, Cd Canatlán. John Deere dealer
- 2 Mi Bodega Aurrera, 20 de Noviembre. Grocery Store (a division of Walmart)
Eat and drink
- 1 El Porky, José Ramón Valdez 401, ☏ .
- 2 La Estación, Guadalupe Victoria, ☏ .
- 3 Vidalmar Restaurant, Isabel La Católica.
- 4 Panaderia Espiga De Oro, Miguel Alemán 1107.
- 5 Loncheria Menonita, Miguel Alemán 15, ☏ .
- 6 Pizzas Pochis, Benito Juárez 803. Pizza restaurant
- 1 Hotel Las Águilas, 20 de Noviembre 706, ☏ . Most popular hotel in Nuevo Ideal
- 2 Motel Campo Real, Niños Heroes 400, ☏ .
- Pinos Altos — a smaller town 14 km northwest of Nuevo Ideal. A dirt road leads from Highway 23 to the community. West of the town is a 3 canyon. you can explore. Another dirt road leads out the other side of the town, climbing the mountains before reaching a small lake and a few houses.
- Durango- capital city of the Mexican State of Durango