Europe > Britain and Ireland > United Kingdom > England > East Midlands > Rutland (England) > Oakham
From the north traffic usually comes along the A606 via Melton Mowbray. Traffic coming from Leicester in the west is generally directed via the A47 before travelling north on the A6003 with Uppingham to the south. Traffic from Peterborough in the East comes either via the A1 and the A606 through Stamford and along the north bank of Rutland Water. Oakham has a small town-centre train station serviced by Cross Country Rail. Services travelling west call at Melton Mowbray, Leicester, Nuneation, Coleshill and Birmingham New Street on an hourly basis. Hourly services travelling east call at Stamford, Peterborough, March, Ely, Cambridge, Audley End and Stansted Airport.
Being a small market town, Oakham is easily navigable on foot. The Oakham Chopper services the town and is free with a pass for those over 60. Berridges Taxi company are a reputable and local firm who frequently have cars waiting outside of the station and can arrange longer distance journeys and airport transfers. Oakham is serviced by a Cross Country Rail with hourly services in both directions terminating at London Stansted Airport and Birmingham New Street respectively. Cycling is a popular means of transport around Rutland and Oakham is no exception with the bypass proving to be a popular cycling diversion en route to the Rutland Water circular. On market days (Wednesday and Saturday) the traffic can be particularly heavy around the town and as the market is held in one of the town centre car parks, parking can be tricky. Traffic on the High Street can also jam when the level crossing barriers go down.
Although it is only a small town, Oakham is lucky enough to be the home of many excellent and varied restaurants. Whether it is a country pub lunch you are after or a five-star gourmet celebration, Oakham can cater for all tastes.
- Nick's. The award-winning restaurant in the Market Square has been awarded accolades for its elegant cuisine. Seasonal ingredients are cooked to the highest standard and a frequently-changing menu never fails to deliver exciting and artistic British classics with a modern twist.
- The Whipper Inn. down the street from Nick's offers refined pub grub in a pleasant environment. The Sunday menu is excellent.
- The Golden Dragon. is just one of Oakham's Chinese restaurants but is the only one to offer sit down meals as well as takeaways.
- Oakham Chinese Takeaway, Mill Street. offers high quality takeaway food and service with a smile.
- The Voujon Balti Hut. a local legend and, following a recent refurbishment, is now one of the trendiest places to eat in Oakham. Very high quality sit-down meals or takeaways as well as a relaxing bar area make this a great place for an evening meal.
- Red India, Melton Road. offers good value Indian fare
- Rutland Balti House, Mill Street.
- The Dining Room'. a different slant on traditional Indian cuisine with exciting results.
- The Rutland Cafe. During the day offers classic cafe grub from its popular location in the arcade on the High Street.
- Odd House Tavern. just one of the many pubs offering fantastic pub grub.